What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Saturday's razor/shave: a tiny vintage Iwasaki Tamahagane kamisori (Kobayashi commemorative) with a 35mm cutting edge (slightly less than a DE blade edge at 36mm) stropped on Paulownia and palm, used following a few 'holds' with a hot water face flannel, a drop of King of Shaves sensitive shave oil, face lathering with a Palmolive shave stick and a Simpson Wee Scot brush and upon completion, Nivea after shave balm (no blood letting/styptic pencil today...).

Le Grelot 6/8

_MG_6911.JPG

Since I these days stick to the same razor for a week I don’t post as much as I used to, but I take this as an excuse to do something a little extra when I post. The short version of this post is C.V.H. No.7 but, for those that might be interested, it’s followed below by a text about Scandinavian design and its implications on the CVH No.7.
View attachment 1065874
Let me talk about Scandinavian design. For those of you that have heard about it means very functionalistic and minimalistic design. There are however differences between the Scandinavian countries.

The Danes as a people are generally known to be more easy going and jovial the other Scandinavians. They like their beer and food and to live a good life. Their version of Scandinavian design is the internationally most successful since it isn’t as stringent, but has as certain amount of flair. Georg Jensen, Le Klint, Poul Kjærholm and Louis Poulsen are good examples of classic Danish designers with a global reputation.

The Swedes are the people of the forests and the Norwegians are the sailors of the storms of the North Sea. Their versions of Scandinavian design are far more focused on functionalism. The form is the result of the optimal design and vanity is seldom seen hence designers like Malmsten and Bruno Mathsson.

Finally we have the Finns that don’t use two words if one can suffice. The proud people of the wilderness that would make any of Arnolds Schwarzenegger’s characters seem feminine. The people that fought four brutal wars during the last century and never lost their freedom. The people that for 600 years always composed the spearhead of the Swedish army. Such a people don’t go for fancy. With its reflection of the soul of the Finnish people their stripped functionalistic designs often are the most beautiful, like when expressed through Alvar Aalto.

This brings me to my razor for the coming week, a Swedish C.V.H. Heljestrand No.7 (the fancier export version is the M.K. No.31). The design of this razor is all about function seen from the view of an engineer. It is all a question of design as a result of functionality and as such it warms my heart so see the beauty of its seemingly simple form. To me it is as Swedish as can be.

@Polarbeard I love the details that you add to your posts. But you are single-handedly responsible for me now owning 4 Swedish straight razors! 😂😂

Razor: Hard Solfen 50
Brush: Muhle Pure Badger
Soap: Trumper’s Rose soap

So today was not so much about the razor - I used it yesterday as well. I got into a recent Soap thread about the difficulty of generating lather from Trumper’s. Two B&B members posted links to Youtube videos of lathering, one specifically using Trumper’s. So today I pulled out the Trumper’s and gave it one more try. I did get a B grade lather, but it took a LOT of extra effort. So I did validate that it could be done, but the wooden tub is headed back to the the bottom of the soap bin.

4381BCA0-EB0A-4A15-A44D-9318D8079B9E.jpeg

Kamisori shave #10
Feather Pro Guard blade#10 (binned)

2 Pass + touch up DFS +

Next blade will be a Feather Professional blade, not the Feather Professional Super blade.

I've completed 10 shaves with the Pro Guard, and I should have discarded it after 8 or 9th shave, but I wanted to be sure, now I'm sure.

No weepers, cuts and nick.

I'm happy to share that I'm going to use the straight razor se my main razor.

IMG_20210410_222629.jpg

proxy.php

My SOTD today was mostly about testing out one of my razors, an Eiko YSK 2 Yasuki steel, the razor had a lovely smooth 20K SG edge, has a little experiment I took the razor to my Nakayama with slurry then finished on water, the findings were interesting but not at all surprising, the Nakayama edge was smooth and comfortable and delivered a nice shave, the 20K edge is smoother and sharper, I would definitely say the SG 20K edge is my preference.

Eiko YSK 2 Yasuki Steel
Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
Semogue LE Boar
Martin de Candre Rose
Neal’s Yard Rose And Mallow Moisturiser
Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica Cologne Intense

#jamiemahone

proxy.php

My SOTD today was mostly about testing out one of my razors, an Eiko YSK 2 Yasuki steel, the razor had a lovely smooth 20K SG edge, has a little experiment I took the razor to my Nakayama with slurry then finished on water, the findings were interesting but not at all surprising, the Nakayama edge was smooth and comfortable and delivered a nice shave, the 20K edge is smoother and sharper, I would definitely say the SG 20K edge is my preference.

Eiko YSK 2 Yasuki Steel
Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
Semogue LE Boar
Martin de Candre Rose
Neal’s Yard Rose And Mallow Moisturiser
Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica Cologne Intense

#jamiemahone

Thanks for additional info, wow love that razor.
How much time on your Jnat
Love your razors, wow

Running out of love emojis today. It's a rip-snorter! :c18: Very nice work, gentlemen.

I shaved with my next razor from yesterday's hone-a-thon. J.R. Torrey with attractive molded scales and a barber's notch. The whiskers came off, but I can only rate it acceptable in effectiveness and comfort. This one is going back into the queue for about the fourth time. But, hey! The first shave with Ach. Brito Mogno was a pleasant discovery. Portuguese soap, Portuguese brush.
A76E5ED8-1C12-41EA-9FFF-835F3FABA644.jpeg

Top Bottom