Pinaud Clubman
20210403_104641.jpg

fresh touched up edge.

be well all.

camo

Tanifuji 6/8
SOC Boar
A&E Peach & Cognac

1st shave with the Tanifuji, which arrived during FFFMM. Really nice, this likely surpassed any of the shaves with the MK 31 last month. I actually hit BBS on parts of my upper lip for the first time ever. Even with the Method Edge, I could still feel more “bite” (more sharp, less smooth), than the Cattaraugus I used the two previous days. I’m guessing that this has something to do with the Tanifuji having harder steel - I will try upping the laps for this razor during maintenance stropping.

In the background some restoration work in progress. I’ve pulled the Cattaraugus out of its scales - have already added a wedge, but I will take a little time to make sure the tang has no corrosion issues near the pivot point before finishing the repinning. Also my first 2 attempts at making horn scales. Just cut them out and drilled them last night, now
on to the sanding.

4165FD79-930E-44B9-9E01-692F249EC0FF.jpeg

PXL_20210403_210007599-01.jpeg

Revisor 7/8"
Ach Brito Mogno
Rudy Vey 2020 B&B Contributors' Brush
Old Spice Classic

Lovely early afternoon shave.

First time with Mogno. I tried the "hand lather" thing (make a lather with the bar in your hands and then apply to your face) and it certainly worked, but it was messy and hard to "adjust" the consistency. And it felt wasteful since I had to rinse my hands before picking up the razor. For the third pass I applied the bar directly to my face and then used the brush to face lather. Much nicer.

Mogno conclusions: A very nice soap. As slick as Arko, but a much more subtle and less "soapy" scent.

Finally, some honing yesterday! Complications today.
B7B4572F-DE11-4587-BD00-EA903D573841.jpeg

Pass 1: Wild-caught bargain Wade & Butcher near wedge, bent, sweet honey in the horn scales, tight pins, corrosion on the edge, first time on the hones. I gave W&B a shave pass today after it came off continuous diamond 1200 (edge corrosion) and 4000 (bevel?) plates. I had heard of guys trying to shave off coarse grits.

Wedgie&B largely failed a hanging hair test, but I was actually looking for a bad pass and a good excuse to bail on honing this bent (both edge and spine) blade. Gave it 20/40 linen/shell on the Kanayama 30000 (hot-rodded with Tony Miller handles).

And it shaved! I expected rough. It wasn't rough, did not irritate, it was just not very sharp. But actual stubble was reduced. About half as well as a sharp edge. I guess I have to continue with restoration. I can get this blade shaving well, even with a wonky bevel. I think....?? I will be starting a restoration thread on this project. (Help!!!)

Pass 2: Dovo Carre. Sharp, effective, handles like a dream.

Saltire pass on the neck maelstrom: Kampfe Improved Star Safety Razor, Gem blade, ebony handle by @GAW9576

I broke down my workbench and packed my honing/restoration tools and supplies a year ago. I'm not fully set up yet, but it is good to get back to it.

Finally, some honing yesterday! Complications today.
View attachment 1246094
Pass 1: Wild-caught bargain Wade & Butcher near wedge, bent, sweet honey in the horn scales, tight pins, corrosion on the edge, first time on the hones. I gave W&B a shave pass today after it came off continuous diamond 1200 (edge corrosion) and 4000 (bevel?) plates. I had heard of guys trying to shave off coarse grits.

Wedgie&B largely failed a hanging hair test, but I was actually looking for a bad pass and a good excuse to bail on honing this bent (both edge and spine) blade. Gave it 20/40 linen/shell on the Kanayama 30000 (hot-rodded with Tony Miller handles).

And it shaved! I expected rough. It wasn't rough, did not irritate, it was just not very sharp. But actual stubble was reduced. About half as well as a sharp edge. I guess I have to continue with restoration. I can get this blade shaving well, even with a wonky bevel. I think....?? I will be starting a restoration thread on this project. (Help!!!)

Pass 2: Dovo Carre. Sharp, effective, handles like a dream.

Saltire pass on the neck maelstrom: Kampfe Improved Star Safety Razor, Gem blade, ebony handle by @GAW9576

I broke down my workbench and packed my honing/restoration tools and supplies a year ago. I'm not fully set up yet, but it is good to get back to it.
Nice strop. I didn’t think that Kanayama did ring pulls.

Top Bottom