What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Greaves & Sons

FD614BB8-5931-4087-97BB-62E5B5FFC84D.jpeg

Today I used my 1874 Engstrom, some mudder focker, and a Semogue 620. Every time I use this razor there is always bloodshed. Must be tat this is the shortest one of the bunch and has the sharpest toe.

The point on that sucker looks really sharp. Did you cut yourself on the point and have you considered touching the point on a piece of sandpaper or stone?

Imperial 5/8 full hollow
Arko stick
Maggard’s Timberwolf 18mm

No more jokes about the travel brush. Today I did face lather with the Arko. First time I’ve ever been able to do a face lather 2nd pass off of what was left in the brush.

This Imperial is my last razor that has a pasted denim finish rather than pasted balsa. Did a fine job. :) The blade is in a lot better shape than the scales, this guy is near the top of my list for a rescale.

8C181AE0-C597-4EDB-8F40-E9456314357A.jpeg

I used this Butch Harner. 51200 steel, I think. It's a beast. I'm still learning to handle it, because I'm used to shaving with kamisoris that must weigh about 1/4 of what this thing does. 5 shaves with it, and I've cut myself every time, and always the same way -- approaching my skin too fast and then discovering that a semi truck has more momentum than a hatchback. I'll get it right at some point.

The shave was excellent, from a closeness point of view, but quite irritating. I put the edge under the microscope, and it was very obvious why. Lots of edge damage. I put it on the stones, and was amazed at how fast some serious edge damage came out, by comparison with my kamisori experience. Tentative conclusion: this steel is much softer than Iwasaki's Swedish Steel.

My next shave should go much better, I expect. I am determined to master this massive razor.

Butch Harner.JPG

This 5/8 Thiers Issard full hollow is my razor of the week. Since I first tried the TI C135 steel I've truly become addicted to it. It is as hard as can be which means that it might not be for everyone. It doesn't flex but it give great super sharp edges. As I wrote not to everyones liking, but personally I am a great fan. Thiers Issard razors are very often eye catching, but you don't shave with your eyes. Then again a bit of luxury often add something extra to the day. The existence of this thread is good a proof of that.

I do like all of the current TI C135 models, but the ones I've taken to my heart are the 7/8 very thin thumb notch razor (7/8 are otherwise too large to be to my liking) and this 5/8 model. To me it's just perfect especially when it, like this specimen, has a rounded nose. Somehow I have acquired three of them over the last few years. I can't entirely remember when or how. They might have come into existance in the display cabinet all by themselves. As we all know: Straight razors are self reproducing and they are as fertile as rabbits.

I wish you all a very good week

20210228_071855.jpg

I used this Butch Harner. 51200 steel, I think. It's a beast. I'm still learning to handle it, because I'm used to shaving with kamisoris that must weigh about 1/4 of what this thing does. 5 shaves with it, and I've cut myself every time, and always the same way -- approaching my skin too fast and then discovering that a semi truck has more momentum than a hatchback. I'll get it right at some point.

The shave was excellent, from a closeness point of view, but quite irritating. I put the edge under the microscope, and it was very obvious why. Lots of edge damage. I put it on the stones, and was amazed at how fast some serious edge damage came out, by comparison with my kamisori experience. Tentative conclusion: this steel is much softer than Iwasaki's Swedish Steel.

My next shave should go much better, I expect. I am determined to master this massive razor.

View attachment 1229488

Those sharp corners are probably what is nicking you. Might want to round them slightly, or dull them on your 1k.

Joseph Elliot 5/8 Feather Weight full hollow
La Toja soap stick
Maggard’s 18mm Timberwolf synth

The Elliot is a recent acquisition and I struggled honing it yesterday. The edge near the toe didn’t come in properly due to warping issues. But in the end it didn’t look too bad, so I worked it up to the black ark and gave it a spin this afternoon. Overall was a good shave and the toe edge seemed to do well when asked.

The La Toja also got used for the 1st time and was nice and slick, and the Maggard’s 18mm once again was able to give up lather for a 2nd pass.

84DAB72C-5BC3-4378-A83B-E22F1A230022.jpeg

Top Bottom