Warm Water splash
Simpsons Ultra Glide Cream .. Sandalwood
Kent LE Silvertip
Wacker Old Sheffield Model 4
Scrupleworks Veggie Tanned Horse .. 30/50
Bloc Osma
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose Petal
D.R. Harris Sandalwood Splash

Don't know what made me grab this Wacker for today's shave... I just had a yen to use it. It made me happy...
All Sandalwood today, for some mystique of the Orient...

proxy.php

Robeson New Science Concave 5/8” bellied hollow - 1st use!
Rein Dachs
A&E Asian Pear

I picked this Robeson up on e-bay about 1 month ago. First I was interested in the blade since I have lots of hollow grinds, but no bellied hollows. This one is bellied, with an almost perfectly flat grind below the belly. Second I was looking to try my hand at making scales and this item had a broken scale, making it a good candidate for a rescale.

Pinning job is still a work in progress, it won’t fall apart but left it a little loose for adjustment. Honing took a little longer than planned. Overall there wasn’t much rust but there was some micro-pitting at the edge so the initial bevel set was pretty ragged and I had to keep honing to get to metal that was clean all the way down the edge. As is my habit, I initially honed thru a black ark. Shave today was fine for a 2-pass WTG,XTG. Will add pasted balsa later today and try again tomorrow.

620D0CBE-6E3B-4C64-B39A-13C4F067E0B2.jpeg

Just in today from Spain via my friend Gary in the U.K.
I resisted a Filarmonica for soooo long, I could not resist any longer.... more of an itch that needed to be scratched, or a question that needed to be answered. In any case, I'd peg this blade at a 98% example.. needed a bit of spit and polish, and the pivot pin tightened. Otherwise, it appears to have never been used.. certainly never felt a hone. All in all, I'm quite happy with it.. a very nice, lightweight shaver. It does have a certain sine qua non about it, in spite of the cheesy scales, which I'm not sure will last or not...
A nice shave...

1-14-2021

Warm Water Splash
Klar Kabinett Shave Soap
Morris&Forndran Blonde Badger
JMP Filarmonica Doble Temple #14
Scrupleworks Veggie Tanned Horse .. 30/50
Bloc Osma
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose Petal
Penhaligon's English Fern EdT

A few points.. The Filli shaved well, as expected, after going all synthetic for 3K to the 12K Gouken. It handles nicely in the hand..
I feel a bit sorry for folks who came to the shave game after the demise of Klar Kabinett. They have missed certainly one of the best shave soaps ever produced .. bar none! I still have a stash that I use on special occasions..
The brush was pre-collaboration. This may or may not mean anything to anyone else, but it does to me and I guard my collection of original Lee Sabini brushes vigorously

In the end... today's shave was a good experience for me... Now I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the Filarmonica...

proxy.php

proxy.php
That's a lovely razor.

It's a great little shaver, but takes a bit of concentration. With the tang the same thickness as the thin blade, it tends to want to roll or twist in your fingers. That can result in some uncomfortable results, so care is required. That said, it's quite fun to use.
I've got a few, once in awhile I might pick one of them up, but it's been very long since I dared to shave with one

Top Bottom