What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Le Grelot - Lotus 6/8
proxy.php

Union Spike

Very fine looking Spike! Mine needs a little love, but my honing/restoration backlog is seeing no progress until I recover from kitchen remodel, plumbing, furnace replacement, and the rest of the summer/fall fun.

I suppose I could give up B&B and skiing.

At least I am getting in some straight shaves, at last.

Woe is me! :c17:
I need an entire violin section :sob::sob::sob::sob:

African Blackwood Ralf Aust 5/8”
Castle Forbes 1445 Cream
Plisson #12 HMW
Vintage Silver Bowl
Heirloom Old No. 2 Horse Hide
Coticule La Nouvelle Vein
Thayers WH & Nivea Balm

ED59F0F4-2F8A-42AA-8971-5007DB4623CE.jpeg

Finally getting somewhere with the coticule. Ditched the slurry and worked the stone with soap and water, then under running water, then after reading an old post from @Doc226 a few drops of mineral oil. I’m tipping it’s the mineral oil that finally did the trick. The result was a perfectly good edge and a very enjoyable, close, comfortable shave. I expect the edge will max out after a few more shave / touch-up cycles. I had almost given up on the coticule but things are moving in the right direction. I’m going to spend some more time with it this week.

Last edited:
African Blackwood Ralf Aust 5/8”
Castle Forbes 1445 Cream
Plisson #12 HMW
Vintage Silver Bowl
Heirloom Old No. 2 Horse Hide
Coticule La Nouvelle Vein
Thayers WH & Nivea Balm

View attachment 1205934

Finally getting somewhere with the coticule. Ditched the slurry and worked the stone with soap and water, then under running water, then after reading an old post from @Doc226 a few drops of mineral oil. I’m tipping it’s the mineral oil that finally did the trick. The result was a perfectly good edge and a very enjoyable, close, comfortable shave. I expect the edge will max out after a few more shave / touch-up cycles. I had almost given up on the coticule but things are moving in the right direction. I’m going to spend some more time with it this week.
Careful, that got me banned at other sites

It looks awesome! At first I thought it was a 3/8, then found the link when I googled it, turns it's a 7/16.

Are you the guy who bought it? (link below) DIY restauration...?

Antique c.1900's Waterville Hand Forged Straight Razor | Etsy

Careful review of the Etsy pictures confirms that it was me. It was easy to clean up, and it's made a great shaver. Sometimes you see something like this for sale, and it's just an instant buy. The hand work that must have gone into that razor! Wouldn't be cost effective today.

Top Bottom