What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

8A6A1031-7012-4103-9433-214B915872DD.jpeg

Sixth straight razor shave:

Took a step backwards today. Results were so so and neck area is not happy. Back to the drawing board. A cease fire may be called for tomorrow. Neck was not taught enough.

View attachment 1064935

When I first started shaving with a straight I could only do my neck every other day. It took a few months before I could do it every day. Now if the razor isn't right or I apply too much pressure I have to wait 2-3 days for it to heal.

@Tomo Firstly you are doing lot better than when I started. Couple of thoughts... Bad prep, dry lather, blunt razor (your razor should be good, IME you can't over strop a razor with good technique. Keep stropping), steep shaving angles and pressure will result in bad shaves.

Lift your chin and pull your head backwards (looking up) when shaving the neck

Last edited:
For me, only one pass on my neck.

I optimized it to go as deep as possible (I do directly a down to up pass on my neck area - mostly across the grain and a little against), and I am happy with the results. Shaves are close enough and irritation free this way

When I first started shaving with a straight I could only do my neck every other day. It took a few months before I could do it every day. Now if the razor isn't right or I apply too much pressure I have to wait 2-3 days for it to heal.

Thanks gents. I think I will hold fire tomorrow and regroup for Saturday. Razor is very sharp but I got slack with stretching. The motion was jerky, I made too many half cooked passes and I’m sure the angle was off too. Unfortunately the long blade and contours of my face are forcing me to cut in a direction that I know is less than ideal in terms of growth grain where the head meets the neck. I got away with it the day before but I need to tread very carefully in this area.

I minor set back today but I’m sure there will be a way around it. Possibly some sort of scooping motion. The face is going well but neck needs work.

Top Bottom