What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

5ABC29AC-DDDC-4620-AE48-ECF6CCE72244.jpeg

5/8 Russian Straight made in 1969

Had a very close shave Today with a piece of history from the Old Soviet Union.This razor had very hard steel.It was a bit of work honing her to make the razor shave ready.But was a worthwhile effort.The edge just destroys whiskers with little effort.
rps20200213_110035.jpg

5/8 Russian Straight made in 1969

Had a very close shave Today with a piece of history from the Old Soviet Union.This razor had very hard steel.It was a bit of work honing her to make the razor shave ready.But was a worthwhile effort.The edge just destroys whiskers with little effort. View attachment 1062874

I've been curious about russian straights. The russian DE blades are great I would hope the straights are the same. How can you tell if a russian straight is worth buying?

I would buy one made in the 1950 and 1960's .Older is fine but quality was spotty in the 1970's and1980's . As far a quality just buy one with no or little hone wear .You can also come across NOS .I have had very good luck in dealing with Dimasan on Ebay .Soviet steel is hard and holds an edge for a long time .A lot of the Soviet blades were 1/4 hollow and not full hollow .So they will flex less than a full hollow .They usually are not fancy razors like a lot of Solingen blades .But the steel is great and they shave real well .They are well made and very functional.

Top Bottom