What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Second shave with it and the edge already had begun to deteriorate. I have stropped the razor with FerrOx and put it back into the cabinet for another year or two.

giesen&Forsthoff.jpg

Second shave with it and the edge already had begun to deteriorate. I have stropped the razor with FerrOx and put it back into the cabinet for another year or two.

View attachment 1007413

It is so sad to see what Giesen&Forsthoff has become in the modern day .I own a Vintage Giesen&Forsthoff razor made in the 1920 -1930's .It is a very high quality blade that holds its own against top German producers in the day .Quality and beauty was the standard in the past .Now for the most part profit rules regardless of how we get there.Just like what has happened to the PUMA brand .Once the top of the German Razor world has be reduced to selling cheap junkie Chinese knife blades.Thank God we have a few dedicated professionals like Herr Aust and Wacker Razors keeping the past alive in some small way .

It is so sad to see what Giesen&Forsthoff has become in the modern day .I own a Vintage Giesen&Forsthoff razor made in the 1920 -1930's .It is a very high quality blade that holds its own against top German producers in the day .Quality and beauty was the standard in the past .Now for the most part profit rules regardless of how we get there.Just like what has happened to the PUMA brand .Once the top of the German Razor world has be reduced to selling cheap junkie Chinese knife blades.Thank God we have a few dedicated professionals like Herr Aust and Wacker Razors keeping the past alive in some small way .
Amen!

Second shave with this one she's a Fredrick Reynolds I call her my "ol square nose" great shave! Face lathered with the Poraso red, Frank's silver tip badger, finished with Alum and then the Menthoholic Lime.
IMG_20190813_170131.jpg

In my country there's an old saying "äras den som äras bör". It translates: Honour the ones who deserve being honoured. My late father often used it and lived by it. I too do my best to do so. So after having written less positive remarks about the Timor Giesen&Forsthoff brand I today shaved with this quarter hollow vintage razor of the same brand and what a jewel in disguise this razor is! So please don't make the mistake of confusing the old razors with the modern ones.

timor.jpg

Shumate Barbers Deluxe 5/8
Club Willy soap
The Veg a/s

I don't see too many Shumates being posted. I just finished the scales this morning so, of course, I had to use it for today's shave.

(from Strazors.com)
The trademark "Shumate Razor Co. St.Louis." was used c.1904-1920.
Founded in Austin, Texas about 1884 by Albert Teagarden. Joseph Shumate became a partner in 1895, and the name became Teagarden and Shumate. The firm first dealt in cutlery about 1900, and soon changed the name to the Shumate Razor Company.
In 1904, Shumate decided to move to St.Louis, Missouri. By 1906, the main office was in St.Louis. In 1919, Fred S. and A.E. Roth became partners in the firm. In 1927, they were selling pocket knives marked Shumate, Roth, Aristocrat, Stainless Cutlery Co., and Waldemar.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
FeatherSS.Wood.ArtistClub.640.9-18JPG.JPG

I don't entirely think of the Feather SS barber razor as a proper straight razor, but I find the razor useful on occasion, and enjoy using it once in a while. Today was one of those occasions.

I'm trying to decide whether to take it with me on vacation instead of a real straight razor and a strop.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom