What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Filarmonica Novodur, soap was MdC vetyver lathered with a lime Paladin Chief, AS and fragrance were Myrsol limon and Floris Special No 127.

A175ACDF-ECCE-47F6-9B60-D8A1836EC26A.jpeg

Shave comparison between a Dovo 5/8, sporting a fresh jnat edge vs my Boker razor.
The Boker razor had a synthetic edge that was finished on balsa loaded with TI white paste, then 0.25 diamond and finished on 0.1 micron CBN.
They both cut with about the same efficiency. However, only the balsa edge gave a slight feedback from the Alum block. The Boker will be keeping the balsa edge, just to see if the edge smooth out from stropping and use.
The jnat edge was smoother, but not by much.
@rbscebu these balsa edges can be quite nice:)
20230326_181645.jpg

20230326_184420.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Wade & Butcher FBU - I've been going through so many razors lately I lost sight of the important things in life, just enjoying the shave so I broke out an old reliable and went to work. Ah this is what it's all about, a razor that just laughs at a weekends worth of stubble and wipes it away almost as if it's not there. Also one of my razors, similar to Fili's, that provides a carefree fools pass where you're never in any real danger. This blade once sported a 0.05Um film edge that I had to back off to a 1Um and is very close to perfection in terms or comfort and closeness.

Soap: Cubebe - Lovely stuff.

Brush: Homemade 26mm Badger.

PXL_20230326_203646395.jpg

Heljestrand; MK5 style (unstamped). The scales on this one have a little warp in them and they got really dry this winter and warped to the point of not being usable. I tried to rehydrate them a few times which helped a little. Yesterday I decided I was going to just drill out the pins and repin to balance the tension...but I thought I'd wet them down again first. And just like that, they were back to a manageable warp. So another project avoided.
20230327_070846.jpg

Heljestrand; MK5 style (unstamped). The scales on this one have a little warp in them and they got really dry this winter and warped to the point of not being usable. I tried to rehydrate them a few times which helped a little. Yesterday I decided I was going to just drill out the pins and repin to balance the tension...but I thought I'd wet them down again first. And just like that, they were back to a manageable warp. So another project avoided.View attachment 1627847
Ivory I think? I’d be terrified to try to unpin that.

Ivory I think? I’d be terrified to try to unpin that.
Yes, ivory. When I got it the pivot pin was broken but still wedged into the holes so I had to drill out both sides. I did it without a drill press and it was kind of exciting. I'm pretty sure the wedge pin is also bent which is exacerbating the problem. I really do need to correct this at some point but I keep putting it off.

Another Heljestrand as my Swedish week continues. Today was the ubiquitous (try searching eBay for these) No. 24 (no MK mark). This razor was found abandoned in a house with a chip and bend in the blade from some previous trauma. Definitely was a learning experience getting it fixed up. I pressed way too hard during the honing and also took too long to identify that the bend was present. So some truly ugly hone wear on the spine. But it does shave, and the 24 is all about utility, not flashiness. Wedges are pretty forgiving to abusive honing. 😆

This guy doesn’t get pulled out a lot and one of the things I have been doing during this spree of using neglected razors is verifying the edge quality. I think my honing has been improving incrementally and I can sense it when picking up razors that might have been initially honed 2 yrs ago. This razor was absolutely sharp, but perhaps not as comfortable as edges I have produced in the past 6 months.

On the soap end, I’m not a huge fan of the PdP 63 so I pulled out a brand new stick of Speick and gave it a try. I think I will stick with the Speick for the remainder of drawer 2, since the German razors are up next week. It does kind of look like a giant lipstick I have to say. 🤣

Attachments

• 9C6AE875-C080-4118-9786-4C1637DC6180.jpeg
    9C6AE875-C080-4118-9786-4C1637DC6180.jpeg
    965 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom