What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

After 2 stressful days it felt great to have a long hot shower followed up by a nice leisurely shave with this Boker.

344151F1-3D43-4E12-8C9B-D0164B0D1A24.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yesterday afternoon I started honing the factory edge of a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 that I am PIFing here. The factory edge (for want of a better word) had multifaceted bevels but it would cut soft butter - just.

Most of my time was spent on a 400 whetstone getting the bevels right. Then the bevel-set was started on a 1k and finished on a 3k. Initial edge refinement was performed on an 8k. Then I would normally go to films and finish on pasted balsa strops. Not this time.

For Christmas, my brother in Japan sent me a second-hand synthetic whetstone he found there. The previous owner told him that it was a 10k stone. Since receiving that Jsynth, I had only used it once before as an intermediate, so thought I would give it another go.

I finished on the 10k Jsynth last night thinking I would finalise the blade today on the films and pasted balsa. I checked the blade this morning. All looked good and it tree-topped with ease. This had me thinking how the blade would shave now, as is.

IMG_20230128_083802.jpg

Well, I guess you never know until you try. I started my morning shave with the 10k Titan off the 10k Jsynth and a clean leather stropping performing a WTG pass. It shaved, but I knew almost straight away that this shave was not going to be enjoyable.

After that first WTG pass, I couldn't take any more. Out came my Aust 6/8 (more like a ⅞) American point off pasted balsa to finish the shave - in comfort.

Today I will finish honing the Titan and give it a proper shave test tomorrow morning.

Heljestrand MK32
Jack Black Scrub( last purchased this 10-15 yrs ago, humm formula changed still evaluating but good face scrub but not original formula,,,
HAGS Resurection soap/ splash
Yingling Brushworks 26 Silverfox knot
Shave notes
///
Last shave with this razor was jnat lazerbean sharp,, was thinking edge too sharp and needed adjustment ( wrong) user error
No stropping before this shave, ( never did this before), edge was sublime on correctly lathered face
What a marvelous shaving vintage instrument
Cheers all
6D7A0B1F-A362-4F23-A5CB-BF3D890D9681.jpeg

Freaking excellent shave! Wade & Butcher 7/8 near wedge, Semogue 1470, Stirling Scots Pine Sheep, and RazoRock American Barber.

[What I am not going to do, fellas, is tell you how I spent over eight hours setting the bevel three times to get here.]

American Barber is a YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme clone - has a little anise which I like.

1674870511061.png

Top Bottom