What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Friodur 72 1/2

968C0B0E-09C9-47AF-AF8C-6427A00AB905.jpeg

Starlet 3057 ¼ hollow by Ito
Irish Traveller Soap by Mystic water
Yaqi silvertip badger (a great brush at a great price, I might add)
Lucky Tiger aftersplash
The only way this shave could have been smoother is if I shaved with the spine!

View attachment 1397547

And the price tag is still attached at 1600 yen (JPY). At today's exchange rate, that comes to about $14 (USD). Back in the 1950s when this razor was made, $14 was the average daily pay for a New York City policeman. The price I paid is equivalent to the average daily pay for a New York City policeman today. So it looks like these razors hold their value.

View attachment 1397548

This is only the second one I've seen, beautiful razor.

This is only the second one I've seen, beautiful razor.
Looking for help here.

My heavy grind (1/4 hollow verging on near wedge to my eye) Ito Starlet 55 was put through a spine thinning process by the former owner. Now, without tape, the bevel does not even touch my stones.

I don't want to tape it for honing as I don't want to tape every time for diamond/balsa stropping.

Just hone away until the excess edge is gone? I have put a lot of laps into it, with little progress. When I do get a corrected bevel, I expect it will be quite wide.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

C3A32467-FB6E-4C8B-BB1B-E85FAF372C9F.jpeg

600397BF-2595-453A-8D5D-D3FCE9A297D7.jpeg

B7DCEAE5-A2E6-4EED-9F05-2F89850D6F91.jpeg

Looking for help here.

My heavy grind (1/4 hollow verging on near wedge to my eye) Ito Starlet 55 was put through a spine thinning process by the former owner. Now, without tape, the bevel does not even touch my stones.

I don't want to tape it for honing as I don't want to tape every time for diamond/balsa stropping.

Just hone away until the excess edge is gone? I have put a lot of laps into it, with little progress. When I do get a corrected bevel, I expect it will be quite wide.

View attachment 1397744
View attachment 1397743
View attachment 1397745
I have a beautiful Hoken 66 razor that shaves exceptionally well. The fellow that restored did a wonderful job, but it requires two layers of tape to touch up. And those two layers give an exceptional bevel. So for me, the path of least resistance is to strop that razor on leather. While I have a few razors that I touch up with pasted balsa, it is not necessary for me to use balsa on all of them. Simple solution - go with the tape and enjoy the razor, strop on leather. Life is full of compromises.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Looking for help here.

View attachment 1397744
View attachment 1397743
View attachment 1397745
With a thinned spine, I think you mean that the edge doesn't even touch your stones.

I would just hone away and reset the bevel to the new spine thickness without tape.

Last edited:
Looking for help here.

One idea would be to make this razor your stone razor - the razor you shave right off of the stone from.

Top Bottom