Yaqi 24mm Silver Tip Badger Brush
0177926B-D566-4D51-89E9-071D78F7D02C.jpeg
67FE25F5-2256-443F-A48E-3B40D6D2C0E4.jpeg
A0A4CB71-1FA2-4EC4-85DE-8A47C6E4AE0A.jpeg

Filimonica 13p
Think shes a tad over6/8
Jnat testing, loving the edge stone creates
Maybe one day will own a nakayama
Per vendor stone creates edges comparable to nakayama,,, crisp and sharp, bold statement
This stone blew me away upon receipt however , first it appears stone is a choice cut from kyoto mine, ( bare with me but im colorblind and to me stone very unique colors and pattern,,, kinda a les lat pattern
Also has chisel marks on back
Test stone hardness today
Shobu mizu tomo on stone , slurry was from tomo
Took few minutes but mostly tomo slurry
Stone one,,,,,extremely hard stone a velvety butter surface

Crisp sharp comfortable edge
While this was a late nite splurge ,of the last minute honestly wasn’t expecting much but wow,,, amazing stone
Shave bbs using test shobu mizu tomo slurry only
Just 5-8 laps as razor edge already marvelous
Didnt want to waste tomo creamy goodness
Just reporting
Cheers all
proxy.php

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Splendid specimen and excellent restoration. What makes you think it is a Thiers Issard though?
I have spent a lot of time looking at vintage French razors and I do not think I ever saw a Thiers Issard rattler. Typically the French rattlers I have seen were from Gelles Freres or unmarked. Maybe Dumas Ainé too, but I am not sure.
I have one similar to yours that was just marked "Therese", unfortunately I do not know anything else about it

Thank you sir, and here you go, a Thiers Issard rattler. It has a good bit of wear on it and maybe the nose has been re-profiled, but you can see the similarity of the blades on all these. The razor above it is a Gelles Freres of an almost identical, if not identical blank. Gauthiier was a shop in Pont St. Esprit and AFAIK neither Gauthier nor GF made razors. I’ve seen a few TI rattlers.

09CAE588-CED3-4FF5-A831-EA13028CFEF6.jpeg

Nice, are these harder to hone than western straights, is other side blade same ir shaped different,, nice
It is the typical asymmetrical grind, so the back side (omote) has a different grind than the face side (uru). You would hone the omote 7 times for every one time you hone the uru side. I have a few of these kamisoris and I find that they shave very well. Here is a link on how to shave with a kamisori:

Thank you sir, and here you go, a Thiers Issard rattler. It has a good bit of wear on it and maybe the nose has been re-profiled, but you can see the similarity of the blades on all these. The razor above it is a Gelles Freres of an almost identical, if not identical blank. Gauthier was a shop in Pont St. Esprit and AFAIK neither Gauthier nor GF made razors. I’ve seen a few TI rattlers.

View attachment 1305878
I stand corrected. Thank you.
And it looks like my Therese might be a TI then.

It is the typical asymmetrical grind, so the back side (omote) has a different grind than the face side (uru). You would hone the omote 7 times for every one time you hone the uru side. I have a few of these kamisoris and I find that they shave very well. Here is a link on how to shave with a kamisori:

Wow, very interesting, thanks for sharing info
Especially honing info, wow 7-1,,,sides
Thx awesome razor 🪒[emoji3]

Stateside Stash Part III

SR Filarmonica Especial 14 with Alfredo hone
SB Rooney with a ceramic handle
SS Yardley

I have been saving this Filarmonica for last. IMHO this kind of pre-1950 first generation Especial
14 is the reason that Filly's have such a stellar reputation. Yesterday, I shaved with a late first
generation Doble Temple 13 and the day before I shaved with a second generation Novodur
14. Both remarkable shaves. But this one takes the cake. If the 13's are Arabians, these
early 14's are Clydesdales. But it is a workhorse that could run a steeplechase. The thickest tang
I have experienced (feels like I'm holding two of my Tanifuji's) and yet it sings wonderfully.
(Thank you, Alfredo for another amazing edge).

If you see one of these razors and you can afford it, buy it. I went way over budget but zero
regrets...nada, zilch. Tremendous shave. Mind-blowing shave. Crushing shave.

I don't deserve this razor.

D31B4C69-838C-49AC-89F1-8BB9E24AF12A_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom