What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

7/22/21
9/16 Johann Blankenagel "Alcoso"
SOTD7-22-21.jpg

While waiting for my Feather Teak (to be delivered today!), I used Declaration Grooming's Fake Yellow Light (Maggard sample, for which I am so grateful) for the first time. What an incredibly thick lather. Not much scent. Did my usual first pass with my Feather AC SS and then a second pass with my custom teak handle Fusion. What an awesome relaxing Saturday morning. My first day up and about since infusions. The Mrs. and I are going to picnic by the side of the river and revel in another day alive. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
0724-png.1301329

From the "too good to be true" files, this Palmera. The scales are a little melted but not a concern. However the polished blade was hiding a lot of micro-pits hanging out near the edge that left at least one small chip. There is a swarm of these pits so while I may attempt to hone away the width in hopes of hitting a clear through-line, I'm not optimistic. It honed up nicely other than that :( The shave was good but not great — loved the "dynamics" of the blade but perhaps a little harsh and took a bit of cleanup. Honestly a better more comfortable shave than early days, but not as good as I now know things can be. The burden of increasing expectations!

0724-png.1301329

From the "too good to be true" files, this Palmera. The scales are a little melted but not a concern. However the polished blade was hiding a lot of micro-pits hanging out near the edge that left at least one small chip. There is a swarm of these pits so while I may attempt to hone away the width in hopes of hitting a clear through-line, I'm not optimistic. It honed up nicely other than that :( The shave was good but not great — loved the "dynamics" of the blade but perhaps a little harsh and took a bit of cleanup. Honestly a better more comfortable shave than early days, but not as good as I now know things can be. The burden of increasing expectations!

This is terrible! I would have been excited to snag a Palmera as well!

what did you use to hone it up on Brad?

Vr

Matt

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Shapton 3k HR, 8K HC, 20k Suehiro, followed by a full balsa progression. I'm still not confident enough to try omitting the balsa :p

You can do it!

Filarmonica 14 Sub Cero, cream and AS were Trumper Eucris. Wonderful shave indeed, I wish that Trumper would up their game with the hard soaps, many of their scents are really nice (though Eucris seems to be rather polarizing).

974730A9-D9BB-4FEB-B89A-3565B6E3DF1E.jpeg

Shapton 3k HR, 8K HC, 20k Suehiro, followed by a full balsa progression. I'm still not confident enough to try omitting the balsa :p

I wonder if a nice 12k after the 8k might help? Damned if I know.

I have never used balsa, so Damned if I know about that either!

Vr

Matt

Henkotsu kamisori
This is the largest kamksori I have seen to date. After honing out a chip, the blade measures 15/16 inch. Cutting length 2-1/4 inches. Weight is 61 gm. Feels more like a weapon than a razor.
Progression was Shapton 500, 1k, 2k, 6k - HHT 3. Tomorrow it goes on an Ozuku for finishing.
I don't mind saying I'm a bit apprehensive here.

henkotsu.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Another fine shave with a Ralf Aust 7/8. My scales warped slightly. They are horn and the nose of the blade is just dragging the inside of the scale. I am able to manipulate the scales so as not to damage the scale or blade but I’d like to make it back to normal. Any thoughts?

I would contact Herr Aust. This is not an uncommon problem with horn these days, if it is not well cured and processed, it can warp.

In the US, see Alfredo, @Doc226

Double header tonight, shave test after honing these two today. Both were great, but they really were a study in contrasts. The Wade & Butcher was almost silent, couldn't even feel it cutting on the WTG pass. It is also the first razor I've used where I really felt like I could use almost no pressure and still stay in contact with the whiskers. The Friodur was joyfully noisy and being more flexible seemed to need a little more pressure to stay on track. Kind of hard switching between them, actually.

Shave was very good, not quite perfect, but the only nick was on my finger. I need to tighten up the pivot on that Henckels. :eek2: I had it lying partly open and when I went to switch razors it veeeeeerrrry slowly closed.

20210724_225131.jpg
20210724_230023.jpg

Top Bottom