What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It may be ugly but I bet it shaves great! I have an Engstrom Frameback which I like, but the tang is so narrow that it is quite the adventure to use. One has to be on their toes to handle it. Still, a fine shaver. Your looks far more user friendly!!
Love the Frameback styles. I have a barely there tang on my Engstrom also and it can be a little unsteady if the balance is off in the least. I’ve tried a different grip that suits this thin tang style. It was posted here and that inspired me to try it. The grip is unusual, but somewhat effective on that razor.
B75750FD-F129-4730-9B48-8619BA5C585E.jpeg

Heljestrand MK31
After receiving razor months ago, im thinking after shave 26 or so, let’s refresh?, razor really didn’t need refresh but I’m doing good to make it that far, lol,,,, but kudos to Matt, Griffin Shaving Goods, phenomenal edge on razor,,finisher Vermont Green slate, sharp smooth but sharp

La lune refresh, 16x 4 drops glycerin water [emoji97]
Edge phenomenal comfort, sharper and smooth but surprisingly sharp, and comfortable little effort
A&E Spartacus soap / Splash
Cheers
proxy.php

Renault 7/8 near wedge
MDC Agrumes
Maggards Travel synth

First time trying the MDC, I had gotten a trial size from Maggards. Put it in a recently emptied tub last night. Smell is awesome! It took me all 3 passes to get the lather dialed in, but it was great for in the end. The Renault seemed like a great razor to pair with it. No nicks but a little irritation afterwards - the Renault is the heaviest blade in my collection, and I think I need to practice a bit more with handling it.

5D2F9AE3-43B9-4DD3-9A4F-F793FC302925.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A celestial shave this morning, Le Grelot Coupe Celeste, fresh off a fine Nakayama kiita. It shaved like a butterknife, no sensation of sharpness at all, yet of course it was very sharp. Cream and balm were ABC, and a Keyhole 4 did the lathering. Turn it up to 11, lol.

2583EF98-29D2-4DF5-A86B-16A2C6BF6650.jpeg

I'll join this lovefest. My Kinfolks has always behaved well, currently in the top rank of my American vintage line up along with my Cattaraugus Yellow Boy.
View attachment 1282374
Is mine bluer, or is it just the lighting?

Sorry for the late response! Could be the light, like you said. Here's mine in flat daylight. I actually re-blued it with Oxpho-Blue cream. It works pretty well if you leave it on considerably longer than the instructions state.

20210616_071513.jpg

How do you guys store yours?

That is a great storage box!

Mine are mostly organized in a couple drawers of my 'razor and shave goods' horizontal file. Loose categories are heavy hitters, new production 5/8s, world vintage tour, Americana, and shorty/detail.

Most are kept inside silicone cotton sheaths I got from The Superior Shave. I just received another dozen sheaths, so even my restoration queue will be safely sheathed soon.
67BC074D-1F02-44EC-AA55-2DE2233F4733.jpeg

I actually re-blued it with Oxpho-Blue cream. It works pretty well if you leave it on considerably longer than the instructions state.
The Kinfolks Blue Steel Special took the honors as soon as possible. I had two hectic days on the road, shaving with a Schick and brushless cream. Back to leisurely shave Nirvana with the weather headed towards 'scorching'.

My BSS was found deeply blued, but of course I don't know if that was the original finish or if a previous owner had renewed/improved the bluing.

10980712-3E02-49F5-AE71-E76832FC241B.jpeg

The original owners of the wild razors that are ensnared in my trapline don't usually seem to have treated them as anything other than utilitarian implements. Keep them from rusting too badly, hone them quick and dirty, get a new one if this one wears out or breaks. Toss the old one in a drawer, as backup in case the new one gets dropped. Then the next generation puts the contents of that drawer in a box and sticks it in the attic or at the back of a shelf.

Excellent, buttery shave, by the way. Derby, not my top shave stick, but it is more the lathering process than the soap. Love my NOS Rubberset. Backbone, backbone, backbone... when men were men and lathering was scrubby.

Last edited:
Unknown maker Sheffield frame back,
Gem Jr. "Parade".

That straight looked to be unhoned when I got it. Not anymore! I fought with it for two nights. Started with tape but quickly realized I was getting nowhere. The blade wasn't even touching in the center A side, nor the heel on the B side. Now it has a crazy, wavy bevel, but it shocked me with a really good shave tonight. Was this meant to be really inexpensive? The scales appear to be made of leather and with the crookedness, it doesn't scream high-end. I kind of like the scales, though.

20210618_182230.jpg

That bevel... Believe it or not, the cutting edge is actually straight. Sure doesn't look it!

20210618_202244.jpg

Top Bottom