53D2E69C-EDF3-4CEE-B50A-51EDB568F9AE.jpeg
B6E7F0AB-8F03-4ED4-BE5E-F3C027667F9E.jpeg
A8817E12-8F14-492A-9CE2-BC6358A0389A.jpeg

Last edited:
2nd, shave with new fili 13p
Wholly Kaw, Forgee Mania soap and Splash
12k nani edge,
Shave and razor performance off charts
Feels good that to be able to hone your own razors and shave with these instruments [emoji3]
BBS, no irritation
Aftershave has dragon blood as one of the ingredients, wound healing properties
Preshave , used facial mask, followed by facial wash, then hot towel
Lather score 9, hydrated to max with water

Face wash remaining lather, cold water rinse
Spa level achieved[emoji3]
Cheers all
proxy.php

This week's razor has a story. After the first world war the treaty of Versailles stated that all German produced goods should be marked so that it was no doubt that it was made in Germany, no consumer was to unintentionally buy any goods produced by the former enemy. A sort of punishment that backfired in the end. First of all half of Europe had been allied with Germany during the first world war, secondly German products were already well known for their generally high quality. Even so the first years after WWI many German companies tried to conceal the origin of their products. This razor is a good example. I can't remember if it is made by Waldmin or Daniel Peres, but just looking at the blade makes it a bit difficult to tell if it is made in Sheffield or Solingen. The backside of the tang just says "Silversteel best quality". The very same razor model was made year after year with that year's Noble price winner in litterature, other versions had intriguing markings, never mentioning Germany. However around 1924 or 1925 "Germany" or "Solingen" once again seem to appear on every razor made in Germany.

20210514_120558.jpg

This week's razor has a story. After the first world war the treaty of Versailles stated that all German produced goods should be marked so that it was no doubt that it was made in Germany, no consumer was to unintentionally buy any goods produced by the former enemy. A sort of punishment that backfired in the end. First of all half of Europe had been allied with Germany during the first world war, secondly German products were already well known for their generally high quality. Even so the first years after WWI many German companies tried to conceal the origin of their products. This razor is a good example. I can't remember if it is made by Waldmin or Daniel Peres, but just looking at the blade makes it a bit difficult to tell if it is made in Sheffield or Solingen. The backside of the tang just says "Silversteel best quality". The very same razor model was made year after year with that year's Noble price winner in litterature, other versions had intriguing markings, never mentioning Germany. However around 1924 or 1925 "Germany" or "Solingen" once again seem to appear on every razor made in Germany.

View attachment 1266847
Beautiful razor and nice to read some history about it.

What catches my eye are the scales. It's only within the last week that I have learned that some scales were made from amber. Are these amber?

Second question - how would you know the difference between amber and some acrylic/plastic? I know one test is to see if it floats, amber floats, plastic doesn't. Obviously in this case the test will not work.

View attachment 1266847

Very valuable historical information that is fascinating ,, can you elaborate more on use of term Silver steel,,,?
Was this just marketing or steels were mixed with silver?
My modern thiers issard has best silver steel on blade face
Very interesting that German companies tried to conceal origin, as this makes sense as Germany was declare axis of evil

Just a side note i was stationed in Germany during early 80s,,, wish i was wet shaving then,,,, could have got some good razors and some escher stones[emoji4]

Your historical information is valuable and thank you for this valuable historical post…

Top Bottom