What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Yasuki 100
TOBS Lavender Cream
Semogue 1250

I bought this razor because I loved the way it looks, but it is also one of my best shavers. Today I finally got the TOBS dialed in (coming off of hard soaps I had been overloading/underhydrating) and the resulting combo gave me one of my best shaves to date. Not quite BBS, but at least 80% of the way from DFS to BBS! The 1250 is also coming along, I am guessing it is most of the way to broken in. Definitely preferring the slightly smaller size to my SOC. Have a good week everyone!

4230F6B1-3FA5-4B60-982C-0D2984BBB137.jpeg

Just honed Elliot's Best Silver Steel,
Kampfe Bros lather catcher with wedge blade (stropped on balsa 1 micron diamond then horsehide),
Sirling Nag Champa\ Rubberset 200-3 mixed knot.

Joseph is a bit twisted and subsequently was a bear to hone!

View attachment 1261267

It is only recently that I started to collect a meaningful number of Sheffields - I have discovered that they are much more challenging to hone than my post WW II razors.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
6/8 West Side Grinding Company, a Solingen import that can take a great edge, and is one of the razors that I learned to hone on a decade or so ago. It’s survived my ‘too much pressure’ stage well, lol. Cream and AS were Acqua di Parma and a Simpsons 57 did the lathering honors.

I’m testing one of the new Pierre La Lune stones but only have 2 shaves from the stone. It doesn’t seem to be as smooth as a 1% Jnat or 1% coti, but it’s a lot cheaper and will finish a razor in 15-20 laps, so maybe a good maintenance stone for those that aren’t into honing that much? The edges were not aggressive or ‘bitey’, and they were smooth, just not quite the best Jnat or coti smooth. But then I’m just beginning with it too.

71FFF188-BDFF-45EC-8638-4AEDB3F46277.jpeg
B776D6FD-3174-4FDA-BEDC-D43A186B3297.jpeg

Is Fermarude French? I’ve only noticed the habit of putting a model number followed by the razor width on the tangs of French razors so far.
Fermarud is from Solingen. I never paid attention to the exact practice you descried, but it seems common to me. Granted, I think most of my razors are French.

Gebrüder Lang, Femarud-Stahlwarenfabrik. Solingen: Eintrachtstrasse 14 in 1922. Brand name: 'Fermarud' (1912).

It is only recently that I started to collect a meaningful number of Sheffields - I have discovered that they are much more challenging to hone than my post WW II razors.

It seems that some are harder. I think the manufacturing techniques didn't afford the degree of consistency that came later. Coupled with the heavier, less hollow grinds, it can make some problematic to hone. I'll take them and the heavy French blades all day, though!

Friedr Herder No. 76 15/16 “Cross Keys”
Grooming Dept Lavender Bouquet Preshave
Cella Milano Bio Organic Aloe Vera Shaving Cream
Thayer’s Coconut Water Witch Hazel
Cella Milano Bio Organic Lozione Dopobarba
Cella Milano Bio Organic Balsamo Dopobarba
Elite Razor Amboyna Burl 26mm Silver Tip Badger Brush
0E3E726D-A832-4CB1-9B84-8A777BC94C18.jpeg
F2A8DD0C-E8D8-4589-87AD-A35D3CF7BB8C.jpeg
39A1FF49-78E8-4677-A434-F6846ED9660B.jpeg

JAPANESE GOLD REX

I’m spending a few days with this Japanese produced shaving tool from my understanding it was made by the same company that produced the Parker razors. I experienced a CCS this morning with said razor and a fave of mine TABAC
06E41D69-0EEC-411B-9964-D049F4930FD2.jpeg

GREAT DAY SMOOTH COMFORTABLE SHAVES

Top Bottom