What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
L. Holzhauers Sons
Red Raven

95EBBC06-51CD-41D4-A154-87FAB73A0977.jpeg

Yesterday was a quick 1-pass shave, so brought back the Cattaraugus again this morning for a 3-pass shave. Its a relatively heavy grind (1/4 hollow?) and gives a relative quiet shave. For the Fool’s Pass on pass 3 I re-stropped and it went pretty well, though still working on technique. I think I am going to set this aside until I can repin. I have been unable to tighten up the pivot pin by peening, so want to pull and replace. And at the other end whoever did the last scale replacement forgot to use a wedge. They literally attached to two scale halves directly together and then carved out some of the scale material in order to create a gap for the blade toe to fit into. So will take out that pin, add a wedge and repin.

Little Valley utilized a large mix of immigrants to establish itself as a center of excellence for razor manufacturing. George Korn, who made my other Little Valley straight was a German immigrant and his razor reminds me a lot of my Imperial and Henkels razors. The Cattaraugus seems much more influenced by Sheffield in terms of the softer steel and heavier grind.

I’ve been breaking in the SOC Boar for some time now, and it had never performed as well as my Muhle pure badger. But after a month of rest I broke it out today along with A&E Peach & Cognac, which I was using for the first time. I used the technique changes that I worked on last month with FFFMM and got great results from the brush-soap combo. So that was a happy surprise.

CD46B219-5DB9-4744-B86E-C9743311748A.jpeg

Little Valley utilized a large mix of immigrants to establish itself as a center of excellence for razor manufacturing. George Korn, who made my other Little Valley straight was a German immigrant and his razor reminds me a lot of my Imperial and Henkels razors. The Cattaraugus seems much more influenced by Sheffield in terms of the softer steel and heavier grind.

Nice to get some Cattaraugus background and comment. Today's Cattaraugus Cutlery Yellow Boy is no doubt a later vintage than the Celebrated. Pretty straightforward 5/8 blade/grind, but the steel was definitely easy to hone. It feels very mellow in maintenance mode, stropped on pasted balsa.

I was comparing strops today, 3" roughout horsehide Tony Miller vs narrow shell Llama (now featuring an added D-ring handle). The Yellow Boy liked them both. And I was very happy with a smooth, close shave.
78974C78-97A2-49AF-973C-1FE823B48E1D.jpeg

For my stropping technique, adding a handle to the Llama was a huge improvement. My 3" horsehide Tony Millers (smooth and roughout) are still my favorite strops by far.

Top Bottom