What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

0217.png

I ordered this 7/8 revisor back in November. (Well not really this one, but that's a long story too). I had been finding that I was favoring 6/8 over 5/8 by a large margin so thought I'd better try a 7/8 to see how I liked that in case I ever order a custom razor :p

Not sure I've learned anything, really.

Right about the time I gave up on ever getting the Revisor (it had been routed via a ship vs air) it arrived yesterday. In the meantime I'd bought a 7/8 Koraat via BST and it feels massive to me (both heavy and large) while this Revisor basically feels (and looks) not much different than the 6/8 Boker I used yesterday.

In any event, whatever the size, it handled and shaved nicely, so I guess I'm right back where I started. Clearly, need more data :)

Well, I was trying to hold off on a shave because I thought the new Kawashima would have arrived by now. It seems to have taken a slight side trip to California, but it seems to be back on track now..

2-17-2021

Hot Water Splash
Wickham's 1912 .. Gothic Revival
Morris & Forndran Lee 7 .. Blonde Badger
Puma #22 Round Point
Scrupleworks Veggie Tanned Horsie .. 30/50
Bloc Osma
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose Petal
Czech & Speake Vetiver Vert EdC

A few thoughts.. Really like the Gothic Revival. The Lee7 is another pre-collaboration brush.. and a good one. The shave off the Puma has me thinking I should be looking for another Puma...

proxy.php

Nice 4 Prima Silver Steel, @taskind - I like the single shoulder! Too bad Dovo doesn't make this style blade in 6/8 inch. Did you buy the razor new, and how do you like it?

I should add that I have had good experience buying new Dovos recently.

Thursday’s shave
Robeson “New Science Concave” 5/8 bellied hollow
Trumper Lilac soap
Rein Dachs badger

Not the greatest shave today... Thursday’s schedule-wise is really tight, typically my options are skip the shave entirely, use a DE, or perhaps a single-pass with a SR. I thought I had enough time, so I went for option 3. In fact I had enough time, but couldn’t get out of the mental state of feeling rushed. Then I compounded things by making a last minute switch to Trumper soap, mainly because I hadn’t used it in a month. And then of course immediately realized that the reason for this is that it is my least favorite soap due to poor lathering. Nothing wrong with the Robeson, but it is light as a feather and has a viciously sharp edge, might have been a good day to be using something a bit heavier and more stable in my hand. Got out of it with only 1 cut. The Robeson needs to get another crack near-term at a relaxed 3-pass shave and I really need to toss the Trumper in the trash!

A4C1AB39-8A23-4FF7-901E-175C0ECDDD80.jpeg

Top Bottom