What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

IMG_2851.JPG

Razor: ERN 1720/GEM OCMM/Gem PTFE
Soap: Arko
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
AS: Stirling Executive Man

Tuesday, black and white (beware, long story...)

I got inspired to dig out my Torrey. I've had a problem with this razor, that I haven't really addressed. I can hone it to a fine shaving edge, which I then can't maintain with my array of diamond pasted balsa, cotton, linen, and leather strops. What's the deal?

My honing station and gear has been in storage since late spring when my summer of chaos began. It won't emerge until I plumb in a new laundry sink setup, but...

In the department of cool old gear that should be admired rather than used, during my summer travels I picked up an H.G.H. Co. Premier Razor Hone. No, I've never heard of them, either.

It came with oil-soaked instructions in English and German. I washed the grimy oil and swarf off the hone as well as I could, lathered it up, and gave the Torrey the prescribed few laps. I couldn't ruin an already dull edge. Then stropped using cotton, linen, and horsehide. I resisted the urge to go through the diamond pasted balsa progression. This is historical research, right?
1D76FC19-E99D-46BA-8EEA-A8AE80330CA1.jpeg

Torrey: a nice looker, sweet scales and a barber's notch
Honing lather: Williams Mug
Strops: Tony Miller
Shaving lather: Arko + Williams (waste not, want not)
Brush: period-correct Whiting-Adams Vulcan
Bowl: I sure that every guy back in the day would have used a Captain's Choice copper bowl, if he could have laid hands on one. I have this one, and the Captain is sending me a heavyweight one, bless him.
Backup razor: Le Grelot 52 P.Hospital&Co Special Coiffeur. Maybe it's the Acier Suedois that sets this apart from the Torrey?

Yeah, actual shaved stubble was observed on the Torrey during three ineffectual passes. Just not enough to qualify as shaving. One quick pass and a little whorl-assassination with the Frenchie did the job. I better get after that plumbing work if this Torrey is ever going to shave me again.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Today I went with the ghetto Gold Dollar #208. (It was my 20th straight razor shave, ever).

Im super confident with my straight razors now, and can do WTG and ATG no problem. I have thick beard growth, so shaving ATG under my chin (because of the beard resistance) is still a bit unnerving to me. But I’m getting more confident with my straight razors, so I am “going for it” and learning to push through the “under chin” beard resistance now.

I’ve also been mastering my Hone-Fu, and I have been getting pretty exceptional shaves from my Gold Dollar SR. (Which is why I initially purchased it).

Today’s lather and soap was Southern Witchcraft’s “Samhain” scent.

It has grown on me, big time, and is a unique favorite of mine. Their splash is incredible. (Milky white, thicker, has witch hazel, and zero alcohol). The scent lasts the entire day.

For the balm, Soap Commanders “Integrity” line (Unscented) is super hard to beat. So far it’s my best Unscented balm. Skin feels awesome afterwards, and I don’t have a scent that clashes with my aftershave splash afterwards.

For my noggin, the Carbon Shaving CX-316L DE razor. (Personna MedPrep blade).

Feeling spectacular.

Strutted out the master bathroom with my arms swagging and my chin up in the air, kicked the dog on the way out, and slammed the front door behind me without locking it for the day.

Yeah...I was that confident. 😁

Straight: Gold Dollar #208
DE: Carbon Shaving CX-316L
Lather: Southern Witchcraft “Samhain”
Balm: Soap Commander “Integrity” (Unscented)
Splash: Southern Witchcraft “Samhain”
Brush: WCS Beacon (silvertip)
Bowl: Captains Choice (large)

61BB06C6-1CE6-44DA-A28A-326C13722B4D.jpeg

8-12-2020

Late afternoon shave today..

Revisor 6/8
Scrupleworks Vegetable Tanned Horsehide .. 40/60
Klar Kabinett Shave Soap
Morris & Forndran L7 in Blonde Badger
Bloc Oama .. as a proof
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose
Knize Ten EdT

Best soap, best brush, and a great edge off the La Grosse Blanche coticule. The only thing missing was a Rose scented splash.. I must remedy that.

proxy.php

8-12-2020

Late afternoon shave today..

Revisor 6/8
Scrupleworks Vegetable Tanned Horsehide .. 40/60
Klar Kabinett Shave Soap
Morris & Forndran L7 in Blonde Badger
Bloc Oama .. as a proof
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose
Knize Ten EdT

Best soap, best brush, and a great edge off the La Grosse Blanche coticule. The only thing missing was a Rose scented splash.. I must remedy that.

proxy.php

that Revisor is a Beaut!!!!

camo

Top Bottom