What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Damnit, Camoloc! As King of the Shorties, I find it hard to pass up a short blade... and had no idea Dovo made one (or two, since they make it in SS also).

Guess who has a Dovo carbon steel Barbarossa incoming? If you guessed Aldwyn, you guessed correct! :D

congrats......I really like the one I got. you get olive wood or the black handled one?

camo

A very interesting razor in my opinion. Quite classic and, to be honest, it doesn't seem like anything special when you are using it. Even to the point that you think to yourself, "Well, they can't all be great shaves." But then you rinse off and, "WHOA! Great shave!" So even though I haven't reached for it lately, I'll never pass it along.

IMHO, everyone should have a Friodur in their rotation.

in time.......in time.......

camo

Damnit, Camoloc! As King of the Shorties, I find it hard to pass up a short blade... and had no idea Dovo made one (or two, since they make it in SS also).

Guess who has a Dovo carbon steel Barbarossa incoming? If you guessed Aldwyn, you guessed correct! :D

If I tell you the SS Barbarossa is also nice, would it enable you to own two? I couldn’t make up my mind, but I didn’t own any SS straights at that point, so...

Shave #27

Dovo "Barbarossa" short
B&M Bay Rum
B&M 22mm Synth
Miller strop
CeraVe Hylauronic Acid Serum
B&M Bay Rum AS

View attachment 1103354

happy Pirate Friday!!!! seemed like Rum was the only logical choice for the razors first use. 2 1/2 passes of perfection. due to size, the holds are different with this one in some places. Awesome razor!!!! looks like brass washers on the inside pivot.

the olive wood scales are immaculate and finished very well.

close shave

9.85/10

camo

I just noticed the absence of stabilizers on the carbon Barbarossa. Here is my SS:
4C91F3CA-9B34-4BAE-AF8F-60C84973E359.jpeg

Yes, the word SHAVETTE on the scales annoys me.

congrats......I really like the one I got. you get olive wood or the black handled one?

camo

I wanted the carbon steel model, so the olive wood one like you have!

If I tell you the SS Barbarossa is also nice, would it enable you to own two? I couldn’t make up my mind, but I didn’t own any SS straights at that point, so...

LOL! I dont think so... not a big fan of SS blades. I think its one of the reasons I dont care much for most modern blades. But, I have to admit... I was a little tempted to buy both. :D

Weird, though, that the scales do say "shavette" on them. Especially since it's not a friggin shavette! :D I guess to Dovo, the "ette" just means small in this case.

I cant see a lot of detail on yours but looks like the spines are formed differently too??

View attachment 1103673

a diff. profile......

View attachment 1103674

camo

Simple rounded spine:
216F83A6-5ED1-4749-B8C0-0100548EC82B.jpeg

I wanted the carbon steel model, so the olive wood one like you have!

LOL! I dont think so... not a big fan of SS blades. I think its one of the reasons I dont care much for most modern blades. But, I have to admit... I was a little tempted to buy both. :D

Weird, though, that the scales do say "shavette" on them. Especially since it's not a friggin shavette! :D I guess to Dovo, the "ette" just means small in this case.

Dovo puts the same scales on an actual shavette. I think they just didn’t care enough to make two differently marked sets of scales. Your razors win the beauty contest hands down. The SS edge was easy enough to get to shave ready and to maintain, so I did get to experience that. I suppose I don’t really have to dry it well or oil it for storage, but I would probably throw in with you two on the carbon/olive wood if I was choosing again.

Dovo puts the same scales on an actual shavette. I think they just didn’t care enough to make two differently marked sets of scales. Your razors win the beauty contest hands down. The SS edge was easy enough to get to shave ready and to maintain, so I did get to experience that. I suppose I don’t really have to dry it well or oil it for storage, but I would probably throw in with you two on the carbon/olive wood if I was choosing again.

I dont oil my blades unless I am putting them in one of my storage boxes... sometimes they do stain, but I care more about the shave then I do how the blades look. :D

But really, SS vs carbon steel is all subjective. They both have their positives and negatives. I just prefer the feel of a carbon steel edge during a shave vs SS.

Simple rounded spine:
View attachment 1103682

thanks for sharing the pic.........

and the way i look at a lot of things in life.......

they're all beautiful!!!!!

🤟

camo

Top Bottom