Razor. Black diamond 4/8

Brush. Lowborn supply

Strop. Kanayama 70000

Soap. Captains choice venture

Aftershave. Lucky tiger

20200118_214750.jpg
20200118_214802.jpg
20200118_214808.jpg

It was the first shave with that razor and I love it. Having the small blade actually makes lining the beard a bit easier. The razor is also very smooth and comfortable. I got a really nice shave with it.

Is there anything you can tell me about this razor as I just got the exact same one. It's about the same condition as yours but the scale sitting on the table, in your pic, is ever so slightly bowed outwards.
Any info at all like how you like it, history etc or anything you've found out about it.
The Puma brand was owned by the Lauterjung family. Up until 1922 their razors were sold as "Tiger" razors, but then they changed the name to "Puma". The razor designs and models stayed the same though. Your Puma No.9 is made sometime between the mid 1920's and the late 1930's. With the introduction of the Puma 1938 (in 1938) the up until then very sombre designs went from very sombre to just sombre. After WWII some Puma razors even were made with gold etching, but as a general rule the Puma razors were very conservative when it comes to flair. Besides from that a hundred year old Puma razor doesn't look outdated in any way, but looks like it was made yesterday. The blades tends to be a bit longer than today's fashion, but that's about it.

What makes the Puma razors stand out is their exceptional quality in both steel quality and craftsmanship. They are not common, very sought for and usually go for quite high prices. That is if they are in good condition. The older Tiger razors are about as common as a unicorns. In my book the Puma razors are a combination of the best of the straight razor tradition in Eskilstuna and Solingen. I can't give much higher praise and that also includes your Puma No.9.
Kind regards
Arne
20200119_151043.jpg

A new week is coming up so I've changed razor to this 15/16 Thiers Issard. I'm generally no friend of large razors, but this model is among my very favourite razors. I like it so much that I (God knows how) have ended up having three versions of it. I still say that Aust makes what I find to be the best modern razors, but Thiers Issard makes the modern razors that I like the most. Life is not always about being rational.

20200119_101007.jpg

I can't give much higher praise and that also includes your Puma No.9.
Kind regards
Arne

That's some great info Arne, thanks for that.

I just noticed something in the picture you included and when I went back to look at yours it's the same thing.
I think mine may have been rescaled at some point as mine has a third pin similar to the No. 52 (second down on the left) in your picture. They're celluloid type scales as well when yours look to be wood/bone.
Incidentally the blade looks better in real life that in the picture below but I do plan on doing some light sanding before I give it a proper hone. Any advice before I touch it?

Puma cropped.jpg

That's some great info Arne, thanks for that.

I just noticed something in the picture you included and when I went back to look at yours it's the same thing.
I think mine may have been rescaled at some point as mine has a third pin similar to the No. 52 (second down on the left) in your picture. They're celluloid type scales as well when yours look to be wood/bone.
Incidentally the blade looks better in real life that in the picture below but I do plan on doing some light sanding before I give it a proper hone. Any advice before I touch it?

View attachment 1054184
My only advice is be careful not to break it. the scales on my are made out of plastic, not wood or bone. Thank you for sharing the picture of your very fine razor.

The Puma brand was owned by the Lauterjung family. Up until 1922 their razors were sold as "Tiger" razors, but then they changed the name to "Puma". The razor designs and models stayed the same though. Your Puma No.9 is made sometime between the mid 1920's and the late 1930's. With the introduction of the Puma 1938 (in 1938) the up until then very sombre designs went from very sombre to just sombre. After WWII some Puma razors even were made with gold etching, but as a general rule the Puma razors were very conservative when it comes to flair. Besides from that a hundred year old Puma razor doesn't look outdated in any way, but looks like it was made yesterday. The blades tends to be a bit longer than today's fashion, but that's about it.

What makes the Puma razors stand out is their exceptional quality in both steel quality and craftsmanship. They are not common, very sought for and usually go for quite high prices. That is if they are in good condition. The older Tiger razors are about as common as a unicorns. In my book the Puma razors are a combination of the best of the straight razor tradition in Eskilstuna and Solingen. I can't give much higher praise and that also includes your Puma No.9.
Kind regards
Arne
View attachment 1054176
Wow Arne....what an awesome collection.

A new week is coming up so I've changed razor to this 15/16 Thiers Issard. I'm generally no friend of large razors, but this model is among my very favourite razors. I like it so much that I (God knows how) have ended up having three versions of it. I still say that Aust makes what I find to be the best modern razors, but Thiers Issard makes the modern razors that I like the most. Life is not always about being rational.

View attachment 1054181

I LOVE this razor !!! I would be happy to take one off of your hands if you ever sold any!!! That shoulder less design is sexy along with the jimps

Kind regards
Arne
View attachment 1054176

Beautiful Tiger and Puma display Arne. I'd enjoy seeing your entire display case.

Be still my heart. Turtle hull? You're killing me.
Thanks, Dave.

Wonderful
Thanks, Antoine.

Top Bottom