What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Todays Shave

J.A Henckels Friodur Inox 72
RazoRock xXx
Blue & White with Drift Wood 24mm silvertip
Bogart Pour Homme scent

8.jpg

I remember buying this Meister Mertens razor. I had a bad case of SRAD at the time and my favourite Japanese seller had this in stock so I bought it. It was an impulse buy, but I have never regretted it. It looks good and it's a first class shaver. I'll stick to it for a few days.It's actually rather nice to shave with the same razor for a few days.

View attachment 1011442
Thank you Arne for the kind words about my JR that I used today.

Now to your razor, it looks similar to my Dr. Balfanz made by Dovo. My question to you and others is these two razors some sort of tribute to men of the past.

Thank you Arne for the kind words about my JR that I used today.

Now to your razor, it looks similar to my Dr. Balfanz made by Dovo. My question to you and others is these two razors some sort of tribute to men of the past.
No I believe that they are some sort of intermediate versions between the original brand's version and the Dovo version. After WWII the Solingen razor industry was in a really deep crisis. Very many smaller brands had literally been blown away by RAF bombings in late 1944 and the rest tried to get by, often by selling straight razors to the American forces as souvenirs. So if you see a razor with the etching "Souvenir from Cologne" or similar you can be pretty sure that it once was bought by a US serviceman stationed in the Ruhr area. Some like Böker and Puma did well, but most perished. The Dovo company started to buy and preserve brands like Tennis and Bismarck in the 1950's and continued their production under the Dovo umbrella. The latest acquisition was Hermes DE razors in the nineties (now Merkur).
I guess that my Master Mertens razor is made sometime in the fifties or sixties when the very similar Henckels Friodur razors where made and that Dovo had bought the Mertens name, but the razors still were made by the original firm until they all became Dovo. This is however me guessing. I know that there are razors made by Dovo today that looks almost the same. The same goes for the Dovo/Bismarck thumb notch razor. Once again it's partially guesswork.

I remember buying this Meister Mertens razor. I had a bad case of SRAD at the time and my favourite Japanese seller had this in stock so I bought it. It was an impulse buy, but I have never regretted it. It looks good and it's a first class shaver. I'll stick to it for a few days.It's actually rather nice to shave with the same razor for a few days.

View attachment 1011442
That one is a looker.

No I believe that they are some sort of intermediate versions between the original brand's version and the Dovo version. After WWII the Solingen razor industry was in a really deep crisis. Very many smaller brands had literally been blown away by RAF bombings in late 1944 and the rest tried to get by, often by selling straight razors to the American forces as souvenirs. So if you see a razor with the etching "Souvenir from Cologne" or similar you can be pretty sure that it once was bought by a US serviceman stationed in the Ruhr area. Some like Böker and Puma did well, but most perished. The Dovo company started to buy and preserve brands like Tennis and Bismarck in the 1950's and continued their production under the Dovo umbrella. The latest acquisition was Hermes DE razors in the nineties (now Merkur).
I guess that my Master Mertens razor is made sometime in the fifties or sixties when the very similar Henckels Friodur razors where made and that Dovo had bought the Mertens name, but the razors still were made by the original firm until they all became Dovo. This is however me guessing. I know that there are razors made by Dovo today that looks almost the same. The same goes for the Dovo/Bismarck thumb notch razor. Once again it's partially guesswork.
Thanks Arne, for that piece of razor history, and i do like that beautiful razor.

Geo. Wostenholm Faux Frameback
Arko stick
Omega 636 Silvertip
IMG_20190827_040655-01.jpeg

Early flight today. George and Sons did the trick at 4am. DFS - BBS even with my eyes closed.

Top Bottom