What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

View attachment 1007935

I don't entirely think of the Feather SS barber razor as a proper straight razor, but I find the razor useful on occasion, and enjoy using it once in a while. Today was one of those occasions.

I'm trying to decide whether to take it with me on vacation instead of a real straight razor and a strop.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Feather SS makes a fantastic travel razor - blades last me 15-20 shaves, crazy sharp, no strop. I like the 'bling' factor of regular straights, but can't fault the SS where it counts - quality of the shave.

DR BALFANZ(DOVO?)

This razor was an curiosity buy for me. I live my FRIODUR 472 so much I though I would purchase another stainless steel blade to compare
6736BA96-0192-45D1-A7F6-5458792295A8.jpeg

Couldn’t decide on which razor to use today. Both razors were fresh off the ozuku and first time shaving with them so I did a half and half shave.

Manaslu 505 and a Fon Golden Star with my dr Harris lavender and Rooney stubby.

264DD378-65C7-4BCD-93CC-CA6B0187CB42.jpeg

How did they compare?
Good question @Basil, first let me state this comparison is my experience with said razors. Others experience may be different from mine.

Both razors are 6/8’s my preferred size but I do have some bigger and some smaller which I enjoy using. Both are hollow ground and the Balfanz is Swedish steel. Both were honed on a Belgian Coticule my preferred natural stone of choice. Now the shave from the Balfanz was a good shave but the feel on my face was different than the feel of my Henckels. All in all I would say that I had a CCS shave but IME the Henckels is a tad bit smoother shaver for me.

Good question @Basil, first let me state this comparison is my experience with said razors. Others experience may be different from mine.

Both razors are 6/8’s my preferred size but I do have some bigger and some smaller which I enjoy using. Both are hollow ground and the Balfanz is Swedish steel. Both were honed on a Belgian Coticule my preferred natural stone of choice. Now the shave from the Balfanz was a good shave but the feel on my face was different than the feel of my Henckels. All in all I would say that I had a CCS shave but IME the Henckels is a tad bit smoother shaver for me.
Thanks for the write up! I’ve had bad luck with my stainless razor so I’ve stayed away from buying more. Mine is a Henckels friodur but it’s one of the new ones they made around 2010. Others have said they got some decent edges from them but I haven’t been as lucky.

Thanks for the write up! I’ve had bad luck with my stainless razor so I’ve stayed away from buying more. Mine is a Henckels friodur but it’s one of the new ones they made around 2010. Others have said they got some decent edges from them but I haven’t been as lucky.
You’re welcome, I will also present another stainless steel razor I own as well. The Friedr Herder 77 Constant. It for me is a nice shaver and I would say out of the three it would be my second choice after the 472. Maybe it’s the type of beard and skin I have I enjoy the shaves I get from my stainless steel razors.

FRIEDR HERDER

I’m going with the Constant 77 by F Herder this morning. It’s another stainless steel razor in my arsenal I enjoy using.
4DD0DB1F-045D-45ED-B972-9CEAF40DCE39.jpeg
Great Day Smooth Shaves

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8-15-19.Fredericks.Kit.640.JPG

My Fredericks Celebrated Sheffield failed the shave test today. It needs to go back to the stones. It is one of the razors I have liked more than most others, but that was when it was sharp. It's been a bear getting the chips out and getting it sharp, but I think I'm pretty close to success. We'll see.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
20190814_201057.jpg
Got my replacement Zertone today, this one actually had the bevel set! After some time on the Norton combo and some diamond paste I tried it out. Never used the RR SLOC, but the edge needs more work. Almost a BBS, definitely DFS.
I have some new rocks on the way.
Prof

Johan Engström Frameback
Arko stick
Maggard's Black and White
IMG_20181014_231856-01.jpeg

Haven't used this tool in a bit. Every bit as dainty and effective as I remember. But, you do have to watch your grip to keep it from rolling between your fingers and thumb when you don't want it to.

Top Bottom