What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Such a great shaver!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed it is and it's great to see you posting. Too many of the veterans have given up and some of those still active have gone a bit weird....I mean rubbing pickled herring into your face. That's wasting good food.

C5FAD4F5-BD92-4217-9DAD-FC874921655B.jpeg
This afternoons shave.

Thanks, Steve. I've always preferred larger razors and heavier grinds, and still enjoy them, but right now Arne has me hooked on Swedish razors, and I've been enjoying the way many of these little lightweights shave.

Indeed it is and it's great to see you posting. Too many of the veterans have given up and some of those still active have gone a bit weird....I mean rubbing pickled herring into your face. That's wasting good food.

Ah, Arne it’s good to stop in! I’ve been on the sickly side of life for a bit.... BUT hopefully I’m back on the saddle. I’ve been diligent in shaving with my straights, but I stick with one razor for a week or more now. Glad to see you’re still haunting this place.

Ah, Arne it’s good to stop in! I’ve been on the sickly side of life for a bit.... BUT hopefully I’m back on the saddle. I’ve been diligent in shaving with my straights, but I stick with one razor for a week or more now. Glad to see you’re still haunting this place.

I hope that you'll be well soon Matt. Nowadays I too use the same razor for a few days in a row, the same strop for months and the same soap for a week or two. However I do change my brush every day. The theme of this week is horse brushes.
Once again I hope you'll be well soon.:)

Thanks, Steve. I've always preferred larger razors and heavier grinds, and still enjoy them, but right now Arne has me hooked on Swedish razors, and I've been enjoying the way many of these little lightweights shave.
That's a very beautiful razor Richard.

Swedes sometimes are perceived as being square, but a better way of putting it would be unromantic and rational. If a tool, like a razor, doesn't have to be large to function well and a larger size reduces the manoeuverability as well as increases the cost there's no need to make it any larger than it has to be. Unless of course if it can be sold on the export market for a handsome profit.

Fridays Shave
5/8 + Tally-Ho F.Fenney

Had a wonderful shave with this vintage Sheffield blade .Love the Weight ,Balance and Smile of this blade .The edge is very keen but buttery smooth .Great steel from a bygone era .
rps20190518_003457_398.jpg

You may recognise this Torrey razor. It belonged to a true Southern Gentleman that decided that it was time for it to find a new home in a far less comfortable climate. Since I always try to make my weekend shaves special I decided to give it a first go today. I liked it a lot. When it comes to honing I'm really good at sharp, but I've never cared much about smooth. I guess that it has something to do with that when I years ago started to hone I had my Feather DX, loaded with a Feather DX Professional blade, as my role model. Old habits die hard. This Torrey however is both smooth and sharp. Thank you so very much.
20190518_071723.jpg

Together with the soap came a Williams shaving soap. This soap is sometimes ridiculed, but there has to be a reason as to why it's still around. I know that it is meant to be put in a mug and used daily, meaning that it is made to be well hydrated and treated rough. So for once I used my Fine lathering bowl and my Omega Proraso boar brush (one of my favourite brushes and a soap killer). I have no complaint whatsoever on the behaviour of the Williams. It might not be the best soap out there, but my first impression is that the performance blows most low cost shaving soaps out of the water as well as very many expensive soaps.

That's all for today. Now I'm going to make some breakfast (a seal and a stray Norwegian meteorologist) for me and the cub. Oh yes some tea, toast and marmalade to finish with.

I wish you all a really nice Saturday
20190518_062444.jpg

Lovely Torry Arne Their production facility was just 30 km from my house .I find that Torry's hold an edge for quite a while .Have a great week with your son .

Matt, I hope you're feeling better soon. You and I started B&B at about the same time, and I always look forward to your SOTD and comments.

When it comes to honing I'm really good at sharp, but I've never cared much about smooth. I guess that it has something to do with that when I years ago started to hone I had my Feather DX, loaded with a Feather DX Professional blade, as my role model. Old habits die hard. This Torrey however is both smooth and sharp. Thank you so very much.
View attachment 981603

I'm pretty much the same way about "sharp," and didn't start using a straight until after a year with a Cobra SE with a Feather Pro. I enjoy my sharp edges off a Suehiro 20k. Occasionally, an edge might be feeling too sharp, and I'll use a Jnat finishing stone to smooth it out. However, I generally like the sharp feel to a blade. I've been getting that sharp feeling from the Swedish blades that I've started using. I also get a very sharp edge from Japanese blades, which are also mostly Swedish steel, and a few German blades made from Swedish steel. The purity of Swedish iron ore might have something to do with the sharp edge that we enjoy, as well as it's ability to retain an edge.

Top Bottom