What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Pumacker Black Diamond 5/8"

$Black Diamond.JPG

Hullo all; I hope you enjoyed your Christmases!

I have one Heljestrand Razor, a MK32, quite a small one. I have spent countless hours honing it and thereby attempting to get it to provide a half-decent shave. I know that there is a big "fan-club" for these razors hereabouts; I doubt I shall be joining. After the last lot of honing, I decided to give it a try. After the essential (for my beard) three-passes, it wasn't too bad, but matters were greatly improved when I finished off with the Graham Solignen travel razor in the picture. And yes I honed this one too!
$CVH + Graham.jpg
C.

Hullo all; I hope you enjoyed your Christmases!

I have one Heljestrand Razor, a MK32, quite a small one. I have spent countless hours honing it and thereby attempting to get it to provide a half-decent shave. I know that there is a big "fan-club" for these razors hereabouts; I doubt I shall be joining. After the last lot of honing, I decided to give it a try. After the essential (for my beard) three-passes, it wasn't too bad, but matters were greatly improved when I finished off with the Graham Solignen travel razor in the picture. And yes I honed this one too!
View attachment 712546
C.
I'm sorry that you don't like your 32. They are really hard to hone, but I have no doubts regarding your honing skills. Some razors just don't agree with some shavers. Personally I am madly in love with this razor. The more people dislikes it the better prices will get for me. Come to think about it: This is a very BAD razor! It may cause you to bleed. Send yours to me before something bad happens.[emoji2]

Ha ha - you replies are always a treat to read.

To be honest my honing skills are somewhat under-developed, and here in England one cannot even buy a Japanese natural stone - even if one could afford it which I certainly cannot. However I do have success with some razors; some (usually the ones that really appeal to me of course) just refuse to co-operate. I am hoping that one day I shall have my "Road to Damascus (not a pun!) moment and find that finally I can put a proper edge on any razor.

The CVH MK32 has had too much time spent on it and will now go to the back of the queue; mind you I have a small Niestrom Eskilstuna razor that is utterly hopeless and which now lives in the "no-hopers" box, with some moustache razors and a Puma 4/8 that rejects all my blandishments!

All the best
C.

Ha ha - you replies are always a treat to read.

To be honest my honing skills are somewhat under-developed, and here in England one cannot even buy a Japanese natural stone - even if one could afford it which I certainly cannot. However I do have success with some razors; some (usually the ones that really appeal to me of course) just refuse to co-operate. I am hoping that one day I shall have my "Road to Damascus (not a pun!) moment and find that finally I can put a proper edge on any razor.

The CVH MK32 has had too much time spent on it and will now go to the back of the queue; mind you I have a small Niestrom Eskilstuna razor that is utterly hopeless and which now lives in the "no-hopers" box, with some moustache razors and a Puma 4/8 that rejects all my blandishments!

All the best
C.
Thank you for your kind words. Being a Swede and not having English as my first language I'm quite happy if people understand my scribblings at all.

I love my Puma razors too[emoji2] . Puma razors are just as bad as Heljestrand razors. Send them all to me. While I'm at it, Thiers Issard has never made a good razor.

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words. Being a Swede and not having English as my first language I'm quite happy if people understand my scribblings at all.

I love my Puma razors too[emoji2] . Puma razors are just as bad as Heljestrand razors. Send them all to me. While I'm at it, Thiers Issard has never made a good razor.

Arne you cant fool me....my brother lives in Sweden and you folks can speak english incredibly well maybe even better than most of us...lol

Arne you cant fool me....my brother lives in Sweden and you folks can speak english incredibly well maybe even better than most of us...lol
I wouldn't stretch it that far, but I must admit that most Swedes speaks English better than most Americans and Englishmen speak Swedish. My very nice neighbour, a Londoner, hasn't managed to learn proper Swedish during the six years we've known each other.

One would never know that English is not your first language; there are many here in England who could not approach your standard. Do you not remember when Sven Goran Eriksson became the England football manager, someone here remarked "Ah! At last! an England manager who can actually speak English"!

I have two more Pumas apart from the recalitrant 4/8; they are fine although a bit scruffy - and on a par with some of my George Butlers, J Henckels and Joseph Rodgers razors. I am afraid I haven't a Thiers-Issard to give you - sorry! I have a Brevier (Le Grelot) but would prefer to keep that one!

C.

Thiers Issard 15/16. Among contemporary non artisan razor makers I find that there are two that really are in a class of their own; Ralf Aust and Thiers Issard. They do differ when it comes to how they shave and feel on the skin. In my opinion their best razors are those with a thumb notch. I am the happy owner of thumb notch razors of both brands.

$2016-12-30 10.25.46.jpg

Top Bottom