What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Klas Törnblom (why break a nice trend). It's too bad the scales are fitted so loosely as they are, still a wonderful razor.

Attachments

• $klas_törnblom_Sandvik-stål.jpg
    $klas_törnblom_Sandvik-stål.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 77
Hi Polarbeard,
Doc47 recommended that I contact you with my question (and please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum). My question is: Is there a difference in quality and/or the age of CVH's that are merely numbered vs. those marked with the MK crown identification? I own a No.4 that I really love, but am wondering what it's lineage might be? I suspect that it is no older than the 1950's, but know little about how CVH distinguished between their many models. I've seen the size chart that's floating around, but wondered if you had any other insights about this (or similar) models?

Regards,
Keith
Hello Keith,
Heljestrand basically made only one 5/8 full hollow razor. When it had a thumb notch it was called N031, otherwise the model number varied. Mostly it was sold as No.3, No.4, No.7 or No.8, with or without the "MK"-marking. The shape of the toe and heel varied a bit over the years, but not too much. The point is that if you've got one 5/8 full hollow Heljestrand another one won't give you a different shaving experience. They are all equally good.

Below I have linked to a thread that I started some time ago.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/452120-Heljestrand-straights-on-a-budget?highlight=
Kind Regards
Arne

Hello Keith,
Heljestrand basically made only one 5/8 full hollow razor. When it had a thumb notch it was called N031, otherwise the model number varied. Mostly it was sold as No.3, No.4, No.7 or No.8, with or without the "MK"-marking. The shape of the toe and heel varied a bit over the years, but not too much. The point is that if you've got one 5/8 full hollow Heljestrand another one won't give you a different shaving experience. They are all equally good.

Below I have linked to a thread that I started some time ago.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/452120-Heljestrand-straights-on-a-budget?highlight=
Kind Regards
Arne

Arne,
Thank you very much!

Razor: Durham Duplex
Soap: L’Occitane Cade
Brush: WW Custom Badger
Aftershave: Proraso
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Clubman

View attachment 689653

That is a bold SOTD my friend! What blade did you use?

And for me this venerable Sheffield "Chinese" razor - we've established that the Chinese style characters on the tang are just a gimmick from the 1850's but why didn't the maker put their name on it?
Whoever they are they should be proud because this razor shaves like a dream.
proxy.php

That is a bold SOTD my friend! What blade did you use?

And for me this venerable Sheffield "Chinese" razor - we've established that the Chinese style characters on the tang are just a gimmick from the 1850's but why didn't the maker put their name on it?
Whoever they are they should be proud because this razor shaves like a dream.
proxy.php

I picked up the Durham some time ago and figured it was time to roll it into my rotation, the blade(s) I have are original Durham Duplex, shave was not bad, not as good as say one of my striaghts but overall not a bad shave.

Top Bottom