What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

First use of this vintage/antique coticule. I put a shave ready (1k,6k,10k, 0.6 micron to 0.25 micron paste) Gold Dollar on the stone for 40 laps under running water. I was pretty sure this would give me a subpar edge, but the shave was surprisingly smooth. No tugging, no redness or irritation. I was very pleased with myself and my first coti finish/touch up.

Picture was taken before the varnish treatment of the wood. (result of treatment in show off your coti thread :/)

full

This morning I made fresh hot process batch of Deer Tallow Soap with a tweak in my base recipe.
I can’t take my own advice of waiting 24-48 hours, so the test shave proceeded.

I give you “Atchafalaya”, named for that beautiful swamp and one my favorite places in the world. It’s a lightly scented soap, consisting of a woodsy blend of musky hardwoods, fresh cypress, cedar and pine, balanced with the sweet scent of sandalwood. This is my best base yet. To mark the occasion, I used my favorite razor with my favorite edge. Riga fresh off a Thuri. Then shave was great and the base exceeded expectations.

IMG_5215.jpeg
IMG_5212.jpeg
IMG_5210.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5210.jpeg
    IMG_5210.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5212.jpeg
    IMG_5212.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5215.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
In honor of just purchasing my 2nd kamisori, I pulled out my first one this morning. Azuma Yasuki steel, most likely white #1 (shirogami) steel, per the seller. I got this from Watanabe (a blacksmith that does incredible kitchen knives). A while back he restored some vintage kamisori and put them up for sale on his site. Actually this one is still shown on his website though I have had it perhaps 2 years. 😆

I really like using kamisori, I just get really nervous that I am going to ding the edge against something.
IMG_8755.jpeg

Top Bottom