What's new

What stone(s) did you learn honing on

Norton 4/8. Then the 220/1k. Then naniwa 12. I started using lapping film as well. Then I was enlightened by naturals and naguras. First edge I nailed was on a naniwa 12. Then of course every paste I could try on as many mediums as I could.

I actually had an easier time learning on the coticule then on my previous attempt learning on synthetics. It was rather simple for me. Now my edges at first weren't as good as they were later on after I had experimented and refined my coticule honing technique/approach but they got better and I was able to deduce what to add or eliminate into my technique/approach to improve the edges I was getting. The most recent being honing without slurry, water only.
Getting hht was my problem at first, I wasn't stropping at all to check it but the edges were usually mellow and fairly sharp. Now it's quick and easy

The Norton 4k/8k with the CNat gave me my first serviceable edges (but they were never great). Added a diamond plate for bevel work. Messed with pastes, found I hated CrOx. AlumOx and Iron Oxide were ok.

Bought a couple coti bouts and never looked back. Now its Cotis and JNats, with the Shapton or Chosera for bevels.

Wasserkraft Solingen 2000/6000 kombo and a Shobudani asagi with a matching tomo. Crox on balsa.
I also had a 12k Superstone, which i broke when i dropped it. I never really missed it afterwards.

Norton 4/8 is what I learned on. And a 16 x loupe and cheap diamond plate that I still use today. upgraded to the Naniwa 12k, that I later sold once I started learning natties.

My first stone was a 6’ x 1.5’ pice of Welsh slate.
The first time I tried it I blunted 2 razors on it.
I remember finding it very tricky to use because of it’s small size, it was hard to keep the spine and edge flat to the stone.
I put it away in favour of films and I leaned to hone on those but came back to it and practised more and more.
I got better and better with it until it started to deliver really beautiful edges.
Using it really helped me in using smaller stones, I can hone comfortably on tony little surfaces if I need to.
I’ve since bought a little coticule which makes lovely smooth and sharp edges and a jnat which I love too. I once found a little piece of a very smooth black stone in a river and got shockingly good edges from it but it was tiny and unstable and fell to bits after a few uses.
that little chunk of slate was where I started with stone and I think I’ll always keep it.

Norton 220 1K and 4/8 combo. For finishing it was a Cnat. From there there’s not much I haven’t tried. Coticules are probably my favorite now along with Arks.

I love trying new stones. I just ordered a Vermont green slate from Griffith Shaving. Since it is advertised as something in the 10-12K range, I do not expect it to produce finer edges than some of my other natural stones and certainly not as fine as a Suehiro G20K. For those folks who can easily shave off an 8K Norton, the Vermont green might be a wonderful hone.

As Earcutter says "Rocks are Cool". I like to see what kind of edge I can get from different stones.
I am your guy that can work with a 8K and ceramic triangle to get a SR shave ready.

Knives? I think I started with a course corundum stone and a soft arkansas to finish. The ark was a tiny little thing. I worked at it for years until I actually got really good. I always free hand honed, never using any form of bevel guide, so it took a long time to get good. Now I can shave arm hair clean as a whistle with almost no pressure, though the shave angle is pretty steep as a knife bevel is nothing like a razor bevel.

Then on to wood chisels and plane blades, again corundum and a soft ark. I have wanted to get a hard ark for my hand planes as they can benefit from smoothness. Alas, my soft ark still gives me a usable edge on a wood plane.

Razors? I have a soft, hard, and black bench hones. I love them and get good edges these days. Razors were a learning curve. You can do a lot of laps on a black ark before you notice much has been done to the edge. I now do 300 laps. Honestly it gets old, but I don't have a lot of money in my hone setup. It's slow, but it gives a good edge.

Knives? I think I started with a course corundum stone and a soft arkansas to finish. The ark was a tiny little thing. I worked at it for years until I actually got really good. I always free hand honed, never using any form of bevel guide, so it took a long time to get good. Now I can shave arm hair clean as a whistle with almost no pressure, though the shave angle is pretty steep as a knife bevel is nothing like a razor bevel.

Then on to wood chisels and plane blades, again corundum and a soft ark. I have wanted to get a hard ark for my hand planes as they can benefit from smoothness. Alas, my soft ark still gives me a usable edge on a wood plane.

Razors? I have a soft, hard, and black bench hones. I love them and get good edges these days. Razors were a learning curve. You can do a lot of laps on a black ark before you notice much has been done to the edge. I now do 300 laps. Honestly it gets old, but I don't have a lot of money in my hone setup. It's slow, but it gives a good edge.
A hard ark finish is tough to beat. If you rough them up with 400 grit WD every now and again it speeds them up quite a bit.

I wish I knew more to elaborate. I learned on the base stone PIFd to me by my mentor. I only know it's a Washita L5, and (I believe the shape is denoted by) Koppa. It is the only stone I've ever used. I was also PIFd a Botan and Koma Nagura. I picked up a beautiful pair of Mejiro and Tenjyou Naguras, and it's been getting only better with every shave. Sometimes it's a matter of how much time I spend. Sometimes it's a matter of consistency. This tells me I need LOTS of practice. It should be one or the other, I would think--all else unchanged.

I'm a very lucky man. Oh, and I set my bevel on a Naniwa SS 1K that I picked up from Griffiths.

There's something more than alluring about that dull gray, inflatable-toy appearance of an edge made to the best of my ability. I know that many can create an edge that is worlds better than mine, but for now, mine are shaving well. I've been exceedingly fortunate. When I have a question, I have a genie that appears from a bottle. It looks like my mentor, or like this forum. One is usually as good as the other. I do have a soft spot for my mentor, though.

I wish I knew more to elaborate. I learned on the base stone PIFd to me by my mentor. I only know it's a Washita L5, and (I believe the shape is denoted by) Koppa. It is the only stone I've ever used. I was also PIFd a Botan and Koma Nagura. I picked up a beautiful pair of Mejiro and Tenjyou Naguras, and it's been getting only better with every shave. Sometimes it's a matter of how much time I spend. Sometimes it's a matter of consistency. This tells me I need LOTS of practice. It should be one or the other, I would think--all else unchanged.

I'm a very lucky man. Oh, and I set my bevel on a Naniwa SS 1K that I picked up from Griffiths.

There's something more than alluring about that dull gray, inflatable-toy appearance of an edge made to the best of my ability. I know that many can create an edge that is worlds better than mine, but for now, mine are shaving well. I've been exceedingly fortunate. When I have a question, I have a genie that appears from a bottle. It looks like my mentor, or like this forum. One is usually as good as the other. I do have a soft spot for my mentor, though.
I don't think you mean "Washita" in this case.

Top Bottom