What's new

What Stone Is This?

Wow, what a bounty. Looking forward to your writeup about your first coticule shave. It's a different world, shaving with a coticule edge. Not so keen and detailed, but so comfortable that some shavers settle there and consider all other edges less desirable.

Here's hoping that you got one of those coticules that can go fine enough to make a good shaving edge. It is absolutely essential to go down to just water, no slurry (running water is the extra-assured version of that) to get the best shaving edge. Coticules are weird, or at least it felt weird to me to take an eBay special that was in pretty good shape, and go all the way from bevel set to shaving edge, changing only the proportion of slurry to water along the way, all on the same stone.

I always have a few razors on which I keep a coticule edge, for those days when I value comfort over precision.

I have very little knowledge with regard to natural whetstones. All I have is an Adaee #12000 Cnat.

This morning a friend of mine gave me a natural whetstone that he found in one of his farm sheds. He knows nothing about this whetstone and cannot recall ever using it. When I received it, the surface was in reasonably good nick but did have some slight dishing in the middle area. The size is 180mm x 40mm with an overall thickness of 21mm. It consists of a light coloured stone of about 3mm thickness with a dark red stone under about 19mm thick. The light coloured stone was obviously the honing stone.

I have now lapped the whetstone flat. The hardness I found to be about mid-way between my #12000 Cnat (very hard) and my 8k Chinese synthetic. The surface reminds me very much of silver ash timber. I haven't used this whetstone yet but am thinking of using it to refinish one of my pasted balsa stropped Titan T.H.60 SRs and then compare it to a twin T.H.60 that has been finished on my #12000 Cnat.

View attachment 1528638
Lapped surface - dry

View attachment 1528637
Lapped surface - wet

View attachment 1528640
Lapped surface - closeup

View attachment 1528635
Whetstone side
Any idea what this whetstone could be?
That sir looks to be a top quality coticule.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The results of my first Coticule edge shave can be found here.

I doubt if I will ever use this Coticule for anything other than a finishing whetstone. It is just so good. I don't want to wear it out before I die.

The results of my first Coticule edge shave can be found here.

I doubt if I will ever use this Coticule for anything other than a finishing whetstone. It is just so good. I don't want to wear it out before I die.
Some of these coticule respond well to different levels of surface conditioning. If the stone is used more for finishing and refreshing the stone can cut significantly faster, and hopefully burnish along the way, and give you a nice finish.
Wet sandpaper (if you don't have a suitable dressing stone) can work fine.
The effect is highly stone dependent, but can be a nice feature with harder coticules.

I'd be curious what kind of range it has on slurry. The light autoslurry you described is pretty similar to how mine finishes on water. Visually similar, too. Mine is sits pretty well in the mid-range to finish slot. I did set a bevel with it once, just to see if I could. It's possible but not something I'd do unless I was forced to by circumstance.

I'd look for a nice little slurry stone, diamond plate slurry on a coti isn't always nice to an edge. And as others have suggested, give it a try finishing with oil. For me that bumps up the keenness to a level that I can't always get consistently on water only.

Another Coticule-Convert. If you want to significantly prolong the life get a combo slurry stone and lay off the diamond plate.
Now delete the words Thuringian and Escher from your brain. You really need to stay away from that kind of smoothness.
I'll second this with also saying that a fine, soft slurry stone is ideal. I've got a couple small lpb slurry stones that are perfect for this.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am reluctant to use oil on the Coticule for fear of the oil impregnating the stone. My preference is for a lather with the final finishing laps.

I have not used an outside developed slurry on this whetstone. For now I will stick with the very light slurry auto-developed while honing. I like to learn slowly.

I am reluctant to use oil on the Coticule for fear of the oil impregnating the stone. My preference is for a lather with the final finishing laps.

I have not used an outside developed slurry on this whetstone. For now I will stick with the very light slurry auto-developed while honing. I like to learn slowly.
It's usually pretty easy to wash the oil off, worst case is you have to raise up a small slurry. I have seen so many stones that appeared to be used with oil and all it took was a quick lapping and it was fine. Here is one coticule that when I originally got it, appeared it was used with oil only Lightly lapping it and it was a water stone again (only reason it took the middle longer was because it was dished). Now I use it on and off with water or oil, and a simple wipe down after.

This next stone is my normal go to. I like to finish under running water or oil with this one. It is very hard though so oil comes off easily with water. (If your only going to use the stone for finishing then it would be silly not to give it a try! )

Screenshot_20220927-214303_Gallery.jpg

You can chop and change between oil and water on cotis R. It’s absolutely fine.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
First I want to max out with what I've got. Then I might try things like oil and outsourced slurries. That's the way I learn.

Reactions: Wid

Oil won't penetrate as coticules are not porous I do prefer prorasos lather on them if I go a non water route.

My experience is that oil generates a keener edge than water. I have had good experience using oil with my stainless steel Friodur 72-V. I seem to prefer water with my old Sheffields.

The term lather means different things to different people. For some, the term means slurry. For others, it means lather made from soap.

Just remember that slurry contains garnets. If you want to finish with minimum garnets, rinse the stone, rinse your blade, and wipe the blade.

I am also new to Coticule world, but some of my best edges have ended with only water after rinsing all slurry. Like keeping your diamond paste on balsa strops separated.

The term lather means different things to different people. For some, the term means slurry. For others, it means lather made from soap.

Just remember that slurry contains garnets. If you want to finish with minimum garnets, rinse the stone, rinse your blade, and wipe the blade.

I am also new to Coticule world, but some of my best edges have ended with only water after rinsing all slurry. Like keeping your diamond paste on balsa strops separated.

I don’t like honing under running water but at the end I do rinse the coti and razor often to keep both clean.

Top Bottom