What's new

What Soaps/Creams Do you Prefer?

I was wondering what preferences do you have as a straight razor/shavette shaver? I know that glide is the most important and probably residual slickness. Any suggestions for soaps or creams that you find work particularly well for saving with an open blade?

I personally like CBL Tonsorial/Master Barber because it has great slickness. Williams mug soap, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations, and Sterling do the trick as well.

Honestly though, I can make almost any soap work it just takes some time and patience.

Thanks, I'll try some Sterlings. Do you hydrate the soap more with a straight vice SE and DE?

Recently tried Stirling. Very nice soap indeed.

I have heard more hydration, so I usually try to use more....but then I found that more works pretty good with DE too. So perhaps I just never hydrated enough to begin with? LOL

IDK. Make er wet and see what ya think.

Thanks, I'll try some Sterlings. Do you hydrate the soap more with a straight vice SE and DE?
Rule of thumb, use more product than you think you need and add water until it feels slightly more wet than you'd use for a DE shave. YMMV, but I perfer a wetter lather that is shiny.

Recently tried Stirling. Very nice soap indeed.

I have heard more hydration, so I usually try to use more....but then I found that more works pretty good with DE too. So perhaps I just never hydrated enough to begin with? LOL

IDK. Make er wet and see what ya think.

Thanks, I've noticed that if I don't hydrate a bit more than normal the soap tends to dry out before I'm done.

Rule of thumb, use more product than you think you need and add water until it feels slightly more wet than you'd use for a DE shave. YMMV, but I perfer a wetter lather that is shiny.

I guess I'll need a soap that handles a lot of water without breaking down. Sterling sounds like a good soap for that.

The Stirling soaps made from mutton tallow really stand out for me. Scots Pine Sheep has a pleasant, mild scent made from essential oil(s). I also like Glastonbury (also essential oil(s)), but I tone down its rather strong grass scent with some Orange Chill (beef tallow with essential oil). If you like citrus, the Orange Chill is pretty hard to beat, and Stirling makes one of the best barbershop scents (fragrance oil(s)).

Actually, I think any shaving soap or cream will give a good SR shave. Stirling, B&M, Proraso soaps are some of my favourites, but any good quality shave soap or cream will do fine.

The Stirling soaps made from mutton tallow really stand out for me. Scots Pine Sheep has a pleasant, mild scent made from essential oil(s). I also like Glastonbury (also essential oil(s)), but I tone down its rather strong grass scent with some Orange Chill (beef tallow with essential oil). If you like citrus, the Orange Chill is pretty hard to beat, and Stirling makes one of the best barbershop scents (fragrance oil(s)).

I currently have Sharped Dressed Man, which is a great scent but I've heard Electric Sheep is really good.

Actually, I think any shaving soap or cream will give a good SR shave. Stirling, B&M, Proraso soaps are some of my favourites, but any good quality shave soap or cream will do fine.

I have a few B&Ms as well as pretty much all the traditional Prorasos. Guess I'll have to experiment a lot. Some soaps and creams don't like a lot of water and probably aren't good candidates.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Actually, I think any shaving soap or cream will give a good SR shave. ....
I disagree with you on this. I found that some of my preferred soaps for non-SR shaving do not work as well with SR shaving.

My current preferred SR shaving soaps are Arko stick and Palmolive stick. I am an exclusive face latherer.

I have a few B&Ms as well as pretty much all the traditional Prorasos. Guess I'll have to experiment a lot. Some soaps and creams don't like a lot of water and probably aren't good candidates.
I find I prefer a more wet lather for my straight shaves. I just add more water to whatever soap or cream I am using that day.

Arko is my SR soap of choice. It's just quick and foolproof. Stirling is great as well, but sometimes I don't feel like taking the extra time to hydrate it properly (though when I do it's a treat). With Arko I feel like I get the lather where it needs to be with fantastic residual slickness in a lot less time. That's just me though.

Especially early on, I noticed the bulk of my bad SR shaves were when I didn't use Arko. At this point I feel like I can use pretty much anything but still stick with the Arko stick as the daily.

Arko is my SR soap of choice. It's just quick and foolproof. Stirling is great as well, but sometimes I don't feel like taking the extra time to hydrate it properly (though when I do it's a treat). With Arko I feel like I get the lather where it needs to be with fantastic residual slickness in a lot less time. That's just me though.

Especially early on, I noticed the bulk of my bad SR shaves were when I didn't use Arko. At this point I feel like I can use pretty much anything but still stick with the Arko stick as the daily.

Do you use it as a stick or as a puck? My only issue with Arko has been that it's very drying so I can't really use it daily.

My top picks:

Aqua di Parma Colonia
Baume BE
Castle Forbes
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3
Speick Original Cream (or stick)
Tabac

You can’t go wrong with these.

Top Bottom