What's new

What Soap/AS scents do you consider to be “old man” Scents?

I was surprised recently when my 25 year old son told me that I smelled like an old man (I’m 51) after I had just shaved with B&M Reserve Waves soap and a splash of the matching AS. Not a scent I would relate to an “old man” in any way.

When I think old school, I personally think heavy sandalwood (Which I love), barbershop (lots of powder) or bay rum among others.

What do you consider to be a scent that an older gentleman would wear? I am curious to hear B&B’s thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

Your son is 25, he thinks you're old and everything that doesn't smell like the various flavors of Axe or the Old Spice body sprays is old-man. It's just the nature of the thing.

I'm in my late 40s. My wife won't let me wear any spice scent or Aqua Velva ice blue because it smells old to her. Same with basically anything else that came out before 1988. But I can wear Gillette Cool Wave, which came out in 1993.

I would guess that just about anything artisan that isn't a knockoff of a currently popular scent will smell old to the under-30 crowd. If you're looking for non-old-man, see if you can find an AS scented like Acqua di Gio.

I am not actually an old man at the age of 35, but these are old man scents to my nose when I use them. I have and use these items regularly and don’t see the “old man” aspect as a negative, I view it as “classic”. Keeps the memories of grandpas and fathers fresh.

MWF.
TABAC
CLUBMAN SPECIAL RESERVE.
ANYTHING POWDERY ie BARBERSHOP SCENTS.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Impossible to answer. I don't know what "old man" means, even though I shall be 84 next month, and I don't know what "old man scent" means.
I'm with @Rustyshackelford : I think young men my son's age think that what I consider "classic" they consider "old man!"

They are wrong, of course. My classic scents are: Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, Pinaud Clubman.

I'm finally retired. I worked hard. I can smell any DANGED way I want!

Kids my age don't really use much cologne. The closest thing a lot of my friends have to a fragrance is deodorant. Surprisingly Guerlain vetiver (came out in 1961) has been popular with my female friends. So i say there's no such thing as an old man scent, give it a few years and it will be back and popular as ever.

Tabac. I find PdP 63 to be like that (sorry, folks!). SV Manna. I find B&M Reserve Lavender to have an old man Lavender scent too....might just be me.

I was surprised recently when my 25 year old son told me that I smelled like an old man (I’m 51) after I had just shaved with B&M Reserve Waves soap and a splash of the matching AS. Not a scent I would relate to an “old man” in any way.

When I think old school, I personally think heavy sandalwood (Which I love), barbershop (lots of powder) or bay rum among others.

What do you consider to be a scent that an older gentleman would wear? I am curious to hear B&B’s thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
For starters, I don't think you should care what anyone thinks, as long as YOU like it.

I'm 47, my boys are 17 and 15 and frankly... if they like some of my fragrances, be it an AS, EDT or EDP, they're welcome to use it, but if they don't it's their problem, not mine. My wife really likes Brut, the original one and I wear it sometimes. It's a classic, but I also like Davidoff Cool Watrer, YSL Kouros, Dior Eau Sauvage (not the modern Sauvage) and Fahrenheit, Aramis Havana... which are all very, very different scents.

I think the whole notion of an "old man scent" is ridiculous. We can talk about "classics" and there some scents that are heavy on powder are considered classics barbershop, but so is AdP which is floral scent and 4711 which is citrusy and regarded as unisex.

My son is 21 and he uses Old Spice original as As and cologne, I don´t because it reminds me of my grandfather who he doesn´t knew... What I get is that scents are what the smeller decides it is, mainstream scents belong to certain era because the majority used it, Drakkar was a young man scent during the 80s but in the 90s it wasn´t...

Me, growing up in the 80's prefered Guerlain Vetiver.. and still do...

Cheers

My 'Old Man' scents are (according to some people):

Clubman Special Reserve
Aqua Velva
Skin Bracer
Old Spice
English Leather
A bunch of Avon stuff like Tai Winds, Deep Woods, Wild Country, Leather etc ...
Chaps
Drakoir Noir

HOWEVER

I'm old enough to not give a flying crap what others think I smell like :devil2:, including SWMBO and the offspring (although, they do like most of it)

My brother and I were talking the other day about Special Reserve and we both commented that it smelled like Church in the 1970s because of all the 'old men' wearing that stuff. We both then realized WE are now those 'old men' wearing that stuff.

:001_tongu

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got triple digits of things that smell, and only one fits that bill: Pinaud Whiskey Woods. It really does connote "drunken uncle." (I use it myself sometimes, nonetheless).

Classic is Pinaud Clubman. But one day the rock music I listened to just yesterday was being called "classic rock."

At what point and by who are such things called?

Michio Kaku is right, "time is a river."

AA

Top Bottom