What's new

What soap after Tabac?

Looking for some recommendations.

I am relatively new to DE safety razor shaving and have been using Tabac exclusively since the start. I like the soap and the scent.

I also have a small Col. Conk bay rum in a travel container that I haven't tried yet, I like the smell of the raw soap but have not used it yet.

As we (in Australia) head into winter I am looking for recommendations of good soaps and scents to consider, especially after having used Tabac.

If I like the scent I may look to get a matching aftershave so if there is already one to match that is good if not what do you match it with?

Do you recommend going dark and woody in winter or lighter with citrus and florals to brighten the darker days?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
First off, welcome to the forums! I think the lack of response here may be due to such a huge realm of possibilities. It's not like this group not to pipe up with an opinion or two. I tend to stay away from floral in general and save my citrus soaps for warmer months. Tabac has such a distinctive scent it's difficult to use it as a springboard into something else. Maybe something "Barber Shop"? Stirling soaps has the best samples IMHO. I don't know if they are available to you in Australia. Good luck with the search. Grab a few. An artist's pallet needs more than on color for certain.

Tabac is a classic. There are several ways to go. Here's a few ideas.

Other classic soaps: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Speick, La Toja.

Other German/Austrian soaps: Haslinger, Klar Seifen, Golddachs.

I'm more interested in performance than scent. As long as the scent is pleasant or neutral, I'm happy.

Last edited:

I am relatively new to DE safety razor shaving and have been using Tabac exclusively since the start. I like the soap and the scent.

I also have a small Col. Conk bay rum in a travel container that I haven't tried yet, I like the smell of the raw soap but have not used it yet.

As we (in Australia) head into winter I am looking for recommendations of good soaps and scents to consider, especially after having used Tabac.

If I like the scent I may look to get a matching aftershave so if there is already one to match that is good if not what do you match it with?

Do you recommend going dark and woody in winter or lighter with citrus and florals to brighten the darker days?
Might not be a bad idea to have a brushless cream along side traditional soaps for those days when you don’t feel like dealing with it. The modern ones perform better are easier to use and a lot better for your skin.

Tabac is a classic, and it is great that you love the scent. I, too, love Tabac. As has been said, there is nothing like it.

I would also recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat if you are not sensitive to lanolin. It, too, is a classic. It has a very pleasant lightly sweet gentle soap scent. You don't need the ceramic MWF container, but it really looks cool. Much has been written about it being challenging to lather. I have not had trouble with it. Keep it hydrated, and a boar brush makes lathering easy.

I have a TON of soaps, most of them Stirling Soap Co. and Barrister & Mann.

Stirling: priced well, performs well, many many scent choices. As you are entering winter I draw your attention to the mutton tallow soaps. They work best for my skin during the winter. In fact, last winter I used the mutton tallow almost exclusively. Lightly scented recommendation would be Scots Pine Sheep. Not an industrial cleaner scent at all. Sheep is almost non-scented. All the other mutton tallows have much stronger and pungent scents. My favorite is Varen.

B&M omnibus base works well for my winter skin too. If you like unique creative scents, Will brings the stink.

I have a few Wholly Kaw soaps, and they are excellent. Also uniquely scented. If you like florals, I love Rose Chypre Concerto, Valentyka, and Vor V.

Soap Commander is also very skin friendly, and a favorite of mine.

In Australia we have limited choice and high prices. You can pick up Arko and Proraso of course. Arko is a very good soap but the scent is diabolical ( urinal puck ). I leave it unwrapped to air out for a few months before I use it. The Proraso Red is a good soap with a nice sandalwood scent. I prefer to buy from Connaught Shaving in the UK where the selection is larger and the prices lower even with shipping. Haslinger is a very good soap ( different mild scents ) and La Toja ( sweet cologne ) is good as well. Cyril Salter is not a bad inexpensive lavender soap either.

Don’t dismiss creams. Some are remarkable. Palmolive (with or without menthol) is a B&B favorite for good reason. Performance is outstanding. For more money, you can get a bit better performance and much more sophisticated scents with brands like Truefitt & Hill, St. James of London, Musgo Real, and Knightsbridge.

Two of my favorites for winter are from Stirling. Hot Apple Cider and Stirling Gentleman are both warm and thick scents. I assume, though, that shipping would be expensive. It would be hard to go wrong with a tube of Proraso red. It's a nice performer with a warm scent perfect for winter. A tub of Cella red would also be nice.

I have a fairly large rotation of soaps and the above four see more than their fair share during cold weather.

First off, here's the Connaught website Welcome To Connaught Shaving - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/

As mentioned, Palmolive Classic is very popular round here, and I lurve the stuff. Excellent lather and consistently good performer. Think it is widely available in Aus?

Proraso Red, I use the cream again, as I exclusively face lather. Nice sandalwood scent, good ingredients which in performance and reliability punch way above its price.

Cella tub. Again, Italian performance and economy with some retro style. A lovely almond/maybe some cherry? scent. Great performer and fun to use.

I have found myself using the above almost exclusively, and have had A1 results. Excellent training creams/soaps to get your lathering skills off pat.

I may get a couple of Stirlings and or some T&H / TOBS (Taylors of Old Bond St.) down the road.

You can't go wrong with the above.

First off, here's the Connaught website Welcome To Connaught Shaving - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/

As mentioned, Palmolive Classic is very popular round here, and I lurve the stuff. Excellent lather and consistently good performer. Think it is widely available in Aus?

Proraso Red, I use the cream again, as I exclusively face lather. Nice sandalwood scent, good ingredients which in performance and reliability punch way above its price.

Cella tub. Again, Italian performance and economy with some retro style. A lovely almond/maybe some cherry? scent. Great performer and fun to use.

I have found myself using the above almost exclusively, and have had A1 results. Excellent training creams/soaps to get your lathering skills off pat.

I may get a couple of Stirlings and or some T&H / TOBS (Taylors of Old Bond St.) down the road.

You can't go wrong with the above.

Unfortunately the Australian produced Palmolive shave cream sold in a 65g tube is called Palmolive Lather Shave and is a cheaper and inferior version of Palmolive Classic. Not recommended.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Australian produced Palmolive shave cream sold in a 65g tube is called Palmolive Lather Shave and is a cheaper and inferior version of Palmolive Classic. Not recommended.
Thank you @Alum Ladd for the link and @Quasimodo for the Australian translation, sounds like one to avoid in Aus.

I did buy a tube of the Fauldings 'Shave' cream to try.
1682043901040.png

Didn't mind the smell and I remember seeing these around since before I shaved so thought it could be okay. It seemed to lather alright but there was no slick feeling and it dried much faster than Tabac so I am staying away from it now.

Thank you all for the recommendations, as I am currently using a hard soap, trialing a cream and sticking with the classics for now sounds like the way to go. I will look at getting a Proraso Red or Cella Red to try.

I did see an Arko stick in a local pharmacy and was tempted especially at the price. Maybe if I get one stick and leave it outside unwrapped it will be ready for my first shave in Spring?

Cheers and happy shaving.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Thank you @Alum Ladd for the link and @Quasimodo for the Australian translation, sounds like one to avoid in Aus.

I did buy a tube of the Fauldings 'Shave' cream to try.
View attachment 1641715
Didn't mind the smell and I remember seeing these around since before I shaved so thought it could be okay. It seemed to lather alright but there was no slick feeling and it dried much faster than Tabac so I am staying away from it now.

Thank you all for the recommendations, as I am currently using a hard soap, trialing a cream and sticking with the classics for now sounds like the way to go. I will look at getting a Proraso Red or Cella Red to try.

I did see an Arko stick in a local pharmacy and was tempted especially at the price. Maybe if I get one stick and leave it outside unwrapped it will be ready for my first shave in Spring?

Cheers and happy shaving.
Did the "new guy" just pull an Arko! slam??!! I disagree, but I like him.

Haslinger for sure, although the scents aren’t great, the performance is top shelf IMHO. Cella is a great soap as well, with a wonderful almond scent. These three are my favorite. Fine soaps are prett decent. I’ve only used the American Blend with the matching aftershave. Lots of people compare the performance to Tabac, but I wouldn’t go that far. But, as always YMMV :)

Tabac is a classic. There are several ways to go. Here's a few ideas.

Other classic soaps: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Speick, La Toja.

Other German/Austrian soaps: Haslinger, Klar Seifen, Golddachs.

I'm more interested in performance than scent. As long as the scent is pleasant or neutral, I'm happy.

Great list!!

I also go for performance and prefer ‘light/fleeting’ scents. Haslinger (all eight options), MWF, Speick and La Toja all meet those criteria IMHO.

Top Bottom