What's new

What smooth blade would you recommend to pair with a Merkur 15c?

Recently switched from my first DE razor (Merkur 34c) because I found it too mild. Some of my coarsest hair could not be removed at all without intense buffing. At first, I switched to Feathers with the 34c, which was an improvement but not perfect.

When I got my 15c, I immediately noticed how amazingly efficient my shaves were, basically to the point that I routinely get ingrown hairs now around my mouth area where the hairs are thinner and lighter. I try to only do one or two light passes around that area during a 3 pass shave now.

I ordered some Nacets, which are totally awesome but still maybe a bit sharp. I really like how smooth they are while still being basically feather sharp. Thing is, maybe feather sharp is too sharp. So now I'm prioritizing smoother blades and wondering what I should try. If Nacets were the only blade I could use for the rest of my life I wouldn't be too mad, but I'd love to see what else is out there.

I have heard Rapira Platinum Lux and GSBs are really good. I know YMMV, so maybe it's best to ask what to pair with my razor!

Anyone have a 15c? Or if not, can you recommend a nice smooth blade that is still efficient? Thank you.

I find that Gillette Perma-Sharp are just as sharp as Nacet but more smooth. Maybe give them a spin! I like Nacet a ton but I really like the Perma-Sharp for extra comfort.

Astra Super Stainless or Russian 7 o’clock Green. Both sharp, but not wicked sharp. GSB’s are very sharp, but also very very smooth.
When I started wetshaving, I bought 200 Astra SPs. I tried one the other day for the first time in a while and I found it super tuggy, even with copious amounts of prep and an amazing Omnibus lather. Are Astra SS much different?

If Nacets are a bit too sharp for comfort, I'd suggest trying the Gillette Platinum. GSB or Rapira Platinum Lux might work, too.
I have never heard of Gillette Platinum. I'll take a look at some Canadian retailers to see if I can find any.

When I started wetshaving, I bought 200 Astra SPs. I tried one the other day for the first time in a while and I found it super tuggy, even with copious amounts of prep and an amazing Omnibus lather. Are Astra SS much different?

I've had the same Astra SP experience as yourself, quite useless for my beard, way too tuggy as well. The Astra SS is a completely different animal altogether. Not as sharp as a Nacet or GSB, but smooth with a nice keen edge and far more forgiving. Very different blade to the SP.

I've had the same Astra SP experience as yourself, quite useless for my beard, way too tuggy as well. The Astra SS is a completely different animal altogether. Not as sharp as a Nacet or GSB, but smooth with a nice keen edge and far more forgiving. Very different blade to the SP.
Interesting. I've actually tried the SS blades in my 34c when I got a free sample a while ago and I did notice that they felt better than the SP. I'll order a couple!

I have never heard of Gillette Platinum. I'll take a look at some Canadian retailers to see if I can find any.
Most often the packaging looks similar to this:
1650590798674.png

There's also this version:

1650590719472.png

I've never used that razor, but you can never go wrong with a Voskhod or GSB. I think those two blades will give great results no matter the razor.

YMMV is the rule, especially for blades!

That said, my ‘top-tier’ in no particular order:
Personna lab (or Med Preps)
Personna red
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet

Another vote for Gillette Platinum and Rapira Platinum Lux... due to the negative blade exposure of the 15c I'd recommend to avoid milder blades in it. But as others have pointed out, blade choice is highly subjective.

Top Bottom