What's new

What smell does Saponificio Varesino Mirto di Sardegna remind me of?

I have a sample and I like it a lot. So I know what it smells like in theory (description of the notes) and in practice (my sample). The thing is: this smell gives me some nostalgia. It reminds me of a smell from years ago. But what smell/product could that be?

That's hilarious, I literally spent hours trying to research this question last week! You can look on Fragrantica if you don't know, but I don't have access to anything to sniff to compare. By that, I mean if you look up vintage colognes you can plug them into Fragrantica and get the scent notes and see if they match. Oops, mine is Manna di Sicilia. Now I am going to have open the Mirto sample. There is one person on here, if he sees this, that will know.

RazoRock Nomad. Like spot on! Especially the aftershave.

Looking back: no this cannot be the product that I recall since I've never used RazoRock.
Looking forward: Wow, so I could just buy the RazoRock Nomad soap and AS as well instead of SV soap and AS plus RazoRock AS. Yet two more questions:
- Does the razorock AS have more staying power than the SV?
- Is the razorock shaving soap actually a soap or a cream (it says 'shaving cream soap' on the tub)

You could buy the RR set instead of the SV but RR's soap is nowhere near SV's performance/quality. I haven't tried the SV one but I remember owning Nomad and the staying power was very short. The RR soap is a croap, a soft soap to put it simply.

I found the list. Cartier Declaration supposedly 🤷‍♂️

Edit: reading fragrantica, possibly Hermes eau de cologne 1979

Last edited:
You could buy the RR set instead of the SV but RR's soap is nowhere near SV's performance/quality. I haven't tried the SV one but I remember owning Nomad and the staying power was very short. The RR soap is a croap, a soft soap to put it simply.
You mean the staying power of the smell of the RR croap? Or of the RR aftershave?

I have an unopened Mirto....it has a very faint, inscrutable, herbal smell to it.
Pretty unremarkable to me...in fact I bought it because it didn't
give off a strong smell...maybe it will be different when I lather with it.

I have an unopened Mirto....it has a very faint, inscrutable, herbal smell to it.
Pretty unremarkable to me...in fact I bought it because it didn't
give off a strong smell...maybe it will be different when I lather with it.
I'd be very curious to learn from your lathering experience!

Does the "Sardegna" in the name refer to an island off Italy, or to certain fish packed in oil in cans?

If it's the latter, that might be your answer right there.

I guess If you really don't want to pay the extra money for the SV aftershave. But I would suggest grabbing the SV one, their aftershaves are great.
It's not so much about the money. I really like the performance of the SV aftershave. But the smell is so limited (in power and in duration).

Top Bottom