What's new

what size knot?

So I got this guy:

View attachment 107142

And I cut off and drilled out the old (I will go deeper after getting the new knot):

View attachment 107143

The hole is an exactly 3/4" errr 19.05mm. The handle is approx. 53mm high, 33mm diameter.

Would 18mm be too small or should I expand the hole for a 20mm? I think 21mm would be a bit too much, taking out too much of the shoulder. This is my first actual going for it with a nice handle restoration.

Thinking TGN finest, fan or bulb, I honestly don't know.

I'm off to the craft store to buy some colored tempera powders. This I learned from my first teaching experience - Color thy Epoxy.

If I can settle on the size, etc, I can get this ordered and done this week, fates willing.

thanks,
jim

So I got this guy:

View attachment 107142

And I cut off and drilled out the old (I will go deeper after getting the new knot):

View attachment 107143

The hole is an exactly 3/4" errr 19.05mm. The handle is approx. 53mm high, 33mm diameter.

Would 18mm be too small or should I expand the hole for a 20mm? I think 21mm would be a bit too much, taking out too much of the shoulder. This is my first actual going for it with a nice handle restoration.

I'm off to the craft store to buy some colored tempera powders. This I learned from my first teaching experience - Color thy Epoxy.

If I can settle on the size, etc, I can get this ordered and done this week, fates willing.

thanks,
jim

I learned a trick from a boat builder, He used whole wheat flour and rye flour in his epoxy to match the wood colour. :thumbup:

So I got this guy:

mmm tough one.

Does the handle still have the integrity to be able to drill the diameter out or are you asking for trouble ?

If you don't want to drill out/ modify go a 18mm Chinese knot or the other option is to use a 20mm UK knot. Because of the lack of knot holder and bulge that should drop straight in without modifying the diameter as it starts at around 17mm at the base.

Good luck whatever you do :001_smile

Definitely 20mm! Those pilot holes were for the epoxy base but it doesn't look like the epoxy set in the holes as were the intention. If you excavate those holes very carefully and pre-fill them with a #23 explorer it will allow more adhesion. if you just set the epoxy without pre-filling it prevents the epoxy from getting into the holes and just traps an air bubble weakening the base. Just FYI

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You could try to expand the hole a bit, or take a tiny bit off of the 20mm knot, but If I had a choice, I'd either take a bit off the knot base or go with an 18mm.
Expanding the hole can be difficult on a brush that doesn't have cracks.
Last thing you want is to kill it while trying to make the hole bigger.

Also, for what it's worth, I use clear epoxy.

If you want a finest, I'd honestly go for the 20mm Bulb and get a dremel (pep boys and probably other places sell cheap ones for <$20) to expand the brush as needed. That extra stuffing is nice, and I've noticed the bigger Finests (in my experience at least) tend towards a bit more softness than the smaller ones.

Another option might be the Grade A 18mm if you don't want to expand the handle.

Back and forth advice....:lol:

I would go for the 18mm Finest. With those substantial edge cracks I think expanding this would be trouble.

I just did an 18mm Finest and a 20mm Finest Fan. I prefer the 18mm knot.

That old handle has given super service somewhere...it would be a shame to start enlargeing the hole and blow off a whole side of this one.

You could always fill the cracks with epoxy to hold everything together...then widen the hole as needed to fill in with a 20mm knot if that's what you prefer?

You could always fill the cracks with epoxy to hold everything together...then widen the hole as needed to fill in with a 20mm knot if that's what you prefer?

That is a possibility, but it's got closed cracks through out that may let loose when strained. I'm hoping a glued in knot will do just what you suggest, but I'm afraid that even a moderate whack on the handle will explode it.

I had 4 for 18, 3 for 20 and 1 for 20 UK and most everybody suggested one and the other. Since I imagine myself flush, I'll spring for an 18 in finest and the 20UK is pretty pricey, but what the heck. That way if it doesn't look like the 20 UK will fit without extensive enlargement, I'll fit in the looser 18.

-jim

You could try to expand the hole a bit, or take a tiny bit off of the 20mm knot, but If I had a choice, I'd either take a bit off the knot base or go with an 18mm.

Also, for what it's worth, I use clear epoxy.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that as the epoxy filled in the cracks, I would want to match the dark "veins" that exist. Kind of moot, I couldn't find Tempera powder on our outing. Got to go online for it I guess. Probably wouldn't see it anyways.

-jim

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Also, for what it's worth, I use clear epoxy.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that as the epoxy filled in the cracks, I would want to match the dark "veins" that exist. Kind of moot, I couldn't find Tempera powder on our outing. Got to go online for it I guess. Probably wouldn't see it anyways.

-jim

I'm kind of happy to hear you're going with the 18. Hate to see that beauty come apart on you. I've had that happen, and you just stand there, looking at the pieces in your hand with your heart sinking.

Top Bottom