What's new

What size knot to buy?

I am going to replace two brush knots with new ones from TGN. One brush handle is vintage. The the other is an Omega boar that I never liked. The vintage I am measuring about 19.125mm using a tape measure. The omega I believe is supposed to be 23mm but I measured about 22.25mm.

Is it better to go smaller or larger?
I was thinking 18mm for vintage and 22mm for omega.

Also I want a knot that is super soft but has backbone. Any suggestions on not from TGN?

A few years ago I replaced a vintage knot with TGN finest in 18mm. That knot is excellent btw.

Are you willing to widen the holes in the handles? It's a fairly simple process and can even be done by hand with some sandpaper and a wooden dowel. If you can make the holes slightly larger, then a 20 mm Finest Badger in the vintage handle would be nice. You may be able to stuff a 22 mm in the Omega handle but it could be a tight fit. Again, a little sanding work would take care of that with minimal effort.

Are you willing to widen the holes in the handles? It's a fairly simple process and can even be done by hand with some sandpaper and a wooden dowel. If you can make the holes slightly larger, then a 20 mm Finest Badger in the vintage handle would be nice. You may be able to stuff a 22 mm in the Omega handle but it could be a tight fit. Again, a little sanding work would take care of that with minimal effort.

Would a dremel work well?

So if shoeboxshave states my Omega Boar 10018 has a 23mm knot. Wouldn't 22mm without any modification?

Would a dremel work well?

So if shoeboxshave states my Omega Boar 10018 has a 23mm knot. Wouldn't 22mm without any modification?
A Dremel with a sanding drum is the perfect tool for opening up the holes.

Knot sizes can vary as much as a millimeter or two. It depends on where they take the measurement. Many knots will actually be the widest just above the glue plug, where the bristles swell out a bit. I would just be prepared for the possibility of having to make some minor adjustments.

Top Bottom