What's new

What *single* DE Razor would you buy if you were new? (Knowing what u know now)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've used the same Wolfman virtually every day I'm home for the past 6+ years, so that would be an easy choice for me, but I'm not as sure it's the best choice for you.

Great shaves are a marriage of razor/blade/face/beard and technique. I'm comfortable recommending ATT razors because they are beautifully made for a reasonable price, and they will be happy to let you trade it in for a different razor if you get it home and find it's the wrong choice.

Henson Al13 mild. Unlike many members here, I started with mid-mild razors, then tried 1 mid-aggressive DE and hated it, then reached deeper in my pocket to discover *very mild* DEs and was reborn.
As for Voskhods, I don't use any currently, for political reasons. Was content with their performance and price though.

What's the difference between Game Changer .68 & .84 ? Blade gap?
For me it comes down to irritation. The .84 gives me a very close shave but leaves my face red and irritated. The .68OC doesn’t. I don’t really enjoy using the .68 unless it’s the open comb head. I feel ‘chatter’ with the standard straight bar version of the RR .68.

Any cheap Gillette super speed or SB Tech is a great and inexpensive set of training wheels, and some shavers love them for life. For a little more $, a nice shape Gillette slim so you can dial it up as you progress. My first modern was the .68 GC. The GC is a perfect modern starter, but you may quickly progress past it. Only very, very slightly less smooth is the 84 GC SB plate. If I wanted something nice, affordable and all SS that I wouldn’t outgrow as quickly, that’s where I would start. 6 months in, I now find the efficiency of the 84 lacking with all but the very sharpest blades and prefer my Gillette adjustables while searching for my ”big dog” modern- currently torn between a Timeless ti 95 OC or Blackbird…I’ve come full circle from thinking my skin was “sensitive” to realizing that once my technique improved I may be far better off with more aggression and fewer passes as I get neck irritation easily when over buffing with any razor or blade combo. As always, YMMV as some guys get fantastic shaves with much milder razors. Personally, I can‘t, whether that’s my skin, technique or a little of all of it. Still learning every shave!

Any cheap Gillette super speed or SB Tech is a great and inexpensive set of training wheels, and some shavers love them for life. For a little more $, a nice shape Gillette slim so you can dial it up as you progress. My first modern was the .68 GC. The GC is a perfect modern starter, but you may quickly progress past it. Only very, very slightly less smooth is the 84 GC SB plate. If I wanted something nice, affordable and all SS that I wouldn’t outgrow as quickly, that’s where I would start. 6 months in, I now find the efficiency of the 84 lacking with all but the very sharpest blades and prefer my Gillette adjustables while searching for my ”big dog” modern- currently torn between a Timeless ti 95 OC or Blackbird…I’ve come full circle from thinking my skin was “sensitive” to realizing that once my technique improved I may be far better off with more aggression and fewer passes as I get neck irritation easily when over buffing with any razor or blade combo. As always, YMMV as some guys get fantastic shaves with much milder razors. Personally, I can‘t, whether that’s my skin, technique or a little of all of it. Still learning every shave!
The Ti BB and the Ti Timeless .95 OC are tops in my den. Either would likely serve you very, very well. For me, the BB wins by a hair, as I have found that I prefer blade forward razors. But certainly YMMV. FYI I also could have shaved happily every day with my 1963 Gillette Slim (and did so for almost a year). Enjoy!

The Ti BB and the Ti Timeless .95 OC are tops in my den. Either would likely serve you very, very well. For me, the BB wins by a hair, as I have found that I prefer blade forward razors. But certainly YMMV. FYI I also could have shaved happily every day with my 1963 Gillette Slim (and did so for almost a year). Enjoy!
Thanks for your reply- I’ve read your post about your Rex-Timeless- BB journey and that has helped narrow my choices. Rex is out for me because I just dont see a use for an adjustable if it’s dangerous for most past 3. Your input is extremely helpful when one is considering dropping that much coin on a razor and isn’t sitting on thousands to try all the nice toys- I always go xtg under my nose anyway, so the head size of the Timeless won’t bother me at all as I am used to red tip/slim/Fatboy. Based on your post I’m thinking I would rather have that little bit extra smoothness of the Timeless over the little bit extra efficiency of the BB (I want ti in either) I’m sure I would be happy with either for life. 1963 was a great year- yup, I’m a boomer! For now, I may pick up a Lupo 95oc just to make sure I’m OK with that level of aggression before ordering the Timeless. Smooth is ultimately more important than all out aggressive razor to me.

Thanks for your reply- I’ve read your post about your Rex-Timeless- BB journey and that has helped narrow my choices. Rex is out for me because I just dont see a use for an adjustable if it’s dangerous for most past 3. Your input is extremely helpful when one is considering dropping that much coin on a razor and isn’t sitting on thousands to try all the nice toys- I always go xtg under my nose anyway, so the head size of the Timeless won’t bother me at all as I am used to red tip/slim/Fatboy. Based on your post I’m thinking I would rather have that little bit extra smoothness of the Timeless over the little bit extra efficiency of the BB (I want ti in either) I’m sure I would be happy with either for life. 1963 was a great year- yup, I’m a boomer! For now, I may pick up a Lupo 95oc just to make sure I’m OK with that level of aggression before ordering the Timeless. Smooth is ultimately more important than all out aggressive razor to me.
Glad I could help! By all accounts the Lupo .95 OC is also a great shaver.

Rockwell 6C or 6S, because of shave quality and ability to try out different blade gaps. My going-in razor is a 6S, and I'm very happy I went that way. I have two, and though I plan to sell one I'll hold onto the other. They're good for beginners as well as those more experienced.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Great question. I can't answer it yet...I'm still buying razors. But right now, I have a list of possibilities that looks like this:

1) Muhle R41 Grande SS
2) RazoRock Lupo .95 OC
3) Wolfman WR2 SS SB 1.15

I'm hoping the razor that's on its way, Wolfman WR1 .80 SS OC, supercedes all of the above choices.

Top Bottom