What's new

What *single* DE Razor would you buy if you were new? (Knowing what u know now)

Fat Handled Tech
I've got one of those '39-'45 era Techs and I like it more and more when I think to use it. I like the ball ends better but this has a little more pushback. I remember it was an impulse purchase because it was cheap but I can't remember where or when.

After many decades of DE shaving, I've managed to accumulate all the usual vintage Gillette suspects. Every one can give me an easy BBS shave, and my rotation has over 25 razors, although I'll pull one from elsewhere for an occasional shave.
My favorite is whichever one I pick up, but I've found myself reaching most often for a #175 Special Goodwill. It shaves as good as it looks.
20220828_180149.jpg

I simply don't know anything about new razors. Based on looks, cost, and what i've read about them online, my first new razor I would purchase would be a Fatip.

Any vintage Gillette, pre-mid '60s would be my suggestion. Make sure it's nice looking, in a nice case, and maybe add some history to it.

Specific models I would suggest would be first, a Tech, then Super Speed, and either a Fatboy or Slim adjustable.

I prefer Gillette razors made before they started using Zamak for the Tech caps. While I'm not a fan of the aluminum handles, the Black Handle Super Speed is a vastly under-rated razor, and I have gotten some durn fine shaves from mine. The Black Beauty adjustables, while they are really nice razors, feel cheap to me, after having used Gillette's other adjustables.

Don't spend too much, as he's a teenager. While he may be responsible, he'll be going to college and/or the military maybe, and nice things tend to walk off or get lost during those years. It shouldn't take too long to acquire any of the above mentioned models, and they are all quite affordable. The adjustables are pricey at the online auction sites, but I've found them to be quite affordable when I find one at an antique store.

Rockwell 6S. Not the sexiest choice and not the most maneuverable choice, but it offers plenty of flexibility with 6 levels and smooth, easy, drama-free, alum-sting-free shaves every time. It's also stainless steel, with multiple colors to choose from, easy to grip, and robust to blade selection. I can get great shaves with almost all my razors, but the 6S takes ease of use and robustness to superior levels.

Good answer (and correct although I might say a high end take on a modern Tech). ;)

Very true.

Even adjusted for today's dollar a humble $.49 Tech purchased in 1945 would cost just over $8 today. Still a great value, and easily a worthy peer of the Feather in performance.

I actually bought my nephew a Rockwell 6c a few weeks ago for his bday, and a 100 pack of astra greens. So far he hasn't received any cuts.. But he hasn't moved past plate number one yet..

If it was for myself I would probally get a Rockwell 6 s.. I prefer the weight of stainless steel. But for someone transitioning from cartridge razors the 6 c might be the way to go. Another possibility if your not sure he’s going to stick with wet shaving would be the Rockwell 2c.

Last edited:
I actually bought my nephew a Rockwell 6c a few weeks ago for his bday, and a 100 pack of astra greens. So far he hasn't received any cuts.. But he hasn't moved past plate number one yet..

If it was for myself I would probally get a Rockwell 6 s.. I prefer the weight of stainless steel. But for someone transitioning from cartridge razors the 6 c might be the way to go. Another possibility if your not sure he’s going to stick with wet shaving would be the Rockwell 2c.

Best.Avatar.Ever.

😆😆😆😆😆

Knowing what I know now, if I needed to buy one razor and stay with one, it would be either a Tradere OC (from Blackland, if they do any more production runs) or a Lupo 95 OC from RazoRock.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I still really like the AC blade format but I will be giving DE shaving a real chance to impress me when we get back from Bali and SEptember is over.

I hope to end up with a favorite DE razor I could recommend to a newbie. And btw, is there an official end to newbie status? One year? Two years? Several decades? I'm 69.. I don't have too many decades left, you know. <eg>

I still really like the AC blade format but I will be giving DE shaving a real chance to impress me when we get back from Bali and SEptember is over.

I hope to end up with a favorite DE razor I could recommend to a newbie. And btw, is there an official end to newbie status? One year? Two years? Several decades? I'm 69.. I don't have too many decades left, you know. <eg>
I believe it is purely a state of mind.

When you stop 'self-identifying' as a so-called 'newbie', then you are not.

Or something like that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I believe it is purely a state of mind.

When you stop 'self-identifying' as a so-called 'newbie', then you are not.

Or something like that.
That sounds about right.

When I post an opinion, I often mention how long I’ve been wet shaving so the readers can factor that in. I don’t feel exactly like a newbie now, but compared to some people here, I’m decades behind. <eg>

Top Bottom