What's new

What *single* DE Razor would you buy if you were new? (Knowing what u know now)

@theoctavist I usually try to avoid advising others on ways to spend their money, but you asked so here goes...

Razor: titanium Timeless with .68 and/or .95 base plates and the TRH8 Crown handle. Heck, you might as well throw in the stand too.

Brush: RVShaving handle with a Mühle STF knot; contact Rudy Vey and I'm sure he can satisfy your brush needs.

Soap: Zingari Man 'Unscented' or Stirling 'Unscented with Beeswax' with the matching unscented aftershave balm. Since tastes can change over time, the choice of scent can be left to splash or cologne.

Those are my selections if I were making a purchase of a shaving kit and cost was not a factor. If I were to scale back a bit, I would skip the Timeless and go with the RazoRock Game Changer with .68 and/or .84 base plates.

As for blades, I would go with Gillette Nacet. But because the blades and soap are consumables, the obvious focus is on the razor and brush choices. What the heck, go with the Timeless; buy once cry once.

Thank you for your service and good luck with your quest...

Last edited:
I like adjustable razors. I would buy a used Gillette Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" with a short handle.

I would tell your nephew the purpose of an adjustable is not to try to use it on the highest setting, but after he finds the best setting for his face to generally "set it and leave it." For a teenaged male that probably would be one of the lower settings.

A lifetime razor for a newbie? I can't say that I have tried a bunch of high-end razors, but when I read the OP's post, immediately the Henson AL13 Mild popped into my head. Super easy to use, gets the job done, can last a lifetime, and you can get it even lower than list if you can catch one of Razor Emporium's sales. I've had fewer than 10 razors (I've lost count), and now my only 2 razors are a Henson AL13 Mild and a pre-war Gillette Tech. I do love the Gillette Tech, but 90% of the time I reach for the Henson. I really could see myself still using this, and only this, razor ten years from now.
The teenaged nephew might not like the razor and would have zero interest in keeping it for a lifetime. A used vintage razor probably is the way to go.

Birth quarter razor could be cool too if you're going vintage. But what would that be for Q3 2006? Something besides a Mach 3 I hope...
Good question. As it turns out, Merkur, Fatip, and Parker (and possibly others) were making safety razors in 2006, and the web retailers were just starting to come around to carrying safety razors and supplies! (Merkur and Fatip information from their history, and Parker from a Sharpologist article date 2012)

Rockwell 6C. Multiple razors in one, solid construction, excellent shave characteristics, not too expensive.

If you want to splash out a bit and get a truly bulletproof razor, the 6S is the same thing, but made of stainless steel. Although I really enjoy my Gillette Slim (vintage adjustable), my 6S knocked off the former champ to become my "forever" razor.

Last edited:
Vintage Fixed Razor: Gillette Superspeed
Vintage Adjustable Razor:
Fatboy
Modern Fixed Razor:
Winning
Modern Adjustable Razor: Merkur Progress

Brush:
22 or 24mm Synthetic. Wide choice here. Maggard, Simpson Trafalgar, etc.

Soap: Stirling 'Unscented' with the matching unscented aftershave balm or Nivea Men Sensitive ASB.
Since tastes can change over time, the choice of scent can be left to splash or cologne.

Blades:
Sampler!!

Last edited:
The member who said you will get a multitude of answers is right. Here are my ideas.

Vintage (not necessarily in this order):
Gillette slim
Gillette fatboy
Gillette super adjustable

Modern Zamak:
Merkur 34hd

Modern stainless (in order of recommendation):
Lupo SB. I love the .95, but I don't know if that is best for a first time user.
Calabri - comes in two different base plates
6S - not aggressive and comes with three base plates that give six settings

Sorry, not a single suggestion, but there really are many options.

Well, I have only been a member since October '21. Since then I have built up a varied little collection of vintages, with the advice and (too often) the unsolicited kindness of Brothers.

But I would still buy what I bought way back in July '21 when I really began DE shaving.

The little Edwin Jagger short handled Kelvin DES89, that cost £14 and that I still use often. My only 'modern' with a Fatip Piccolo.

A lovely little razor that keeps up with you, even when your technique has matured greatly.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience shaving with any of the modern machined razors. My razors are mostly zamak or vintage Gillette. If I had to keep only one it would probably be a Fat Handle Tech although I love my adjustables and Super Speeds too.

Feather AS-D2

With that said, I'm also becoming a big fan of the RazoRock Game Changer .68, so that would be my #2 pick.

If I was to buy only one DE razor it would be the Karve Overlander in brass or copper. Slightly over the $100 but not by much. Utterly foolproof, comfortable, but satisfyingly efficient shave. It’s really wonderful. I have other, much more expensive razors, but the Overlander is as good as any, and certainly would be perfect for a new DE shaver.

While I love my Wolfman, I would be happy using only a game changer for my solo driver. That said, buy him the .68 now and purchase the .84 plate to surprise him down the line. SB would be/ is my choice and I have them all.

The teenaged nephew might not like the razor and would have zero interest in keeping it for a lifetime. A used vintage razor probably is the way to go.
Agreed - save the spendy stuff for down the road. A Gillette Tech is a proven and successful design that is easily capable of BBS shaves, and they're almost everywhere cheap.
Gillette Tech 2.jpg

Well, I have only been a member since October '21. Since then I have built up a varied little collection of vintages, with the advice and (too often) the unsolicited kindness of Brothers.

But I would still buy what I bought way back in July '21 when I really began DE shaving.

The little Edwin Jagger short handled Kelvin DES89, that cost £14 and that I still use often. My only 'modern' with a Fatip Piccolo.

A lovely little razor that keeps up with you, even when your technique has matured greatly.
And this newbie had to teach me how to use my own Jagger DE89!! I never got on with it until Alum made a simple suggestion that my decades of experience hadn't thought of - adjust the damn angle! I was so used to my old Gillettes, it had never dawned on me that not all razors work with the same angles. Talk about a "duh" moment. ;)

And this newbie had to teach me how to use my own Jagger DE89!! I never got on with it until Alum made a simple suggestion that my decades of experience hadn't thought of - adjust the damn angle! I was so used to my old Gillettes, it had never dawned on me that not all razors work with the same angles. Talk about a "duh" moment. ;)
Well Brother CCS, I did technically 'wet shave' since the mid 1970's using the vicious and cunning BIC white-handled SE disposable, and then I got all picky and began to use the BIC Orange 'Sensitive' (LOL) version until about 2006 when I picked up a wretched Gillette Fusion 5 whatever.

Them BIC's tought me all about angle, and the use of a tourniquet.

Last edited:
I am another Tech fan, post-war ball end being my favourite of the 3 I have tried. It’s cool and it’s just great all around and he could easily have it for his lifetime.
My 1949 ball-handle Tech is a magnificent razor that provides outstanding shaves. It shaves better than my prewar fat handle.

I love the simplicity of the Tech. No moving parts, nothing to go wrong, zero maintenance, cheap but built to last forever. And many sold for less than a dollar, or were given away in a promotion.

Mine is solid brass, quite hefty, that thin, short handle allowing extraordinary maneuverability. I believe it was the epitome of product design for Gillette. Everything after was gimmickry

Top Bottom