What's new

What *single* DE Razor would you buy if you were new? (Knowing what u know now)

I to buy a nice safety razor for my nephew, he's turning 16 in two weeks, so I thought a it would would be a nice, practical gift. (A while back, He borrowed my (cheap) Gillette DE and liked it much better than those mach whatever's hes been using. )

So here I am! I also need to get a nice one for myself, tbh. I bought a merkur (29c? Long handle iirc) a few years ago(on recommend from y'all ofc!!) but my ex-girlfriend commandeered it. I have no idea what is good or not these days; so many options and just as many varying opinions.

So. If you could have *1* and only one , for life, what would you buy? I loved the merkur but I want to try something new, and want my nephew to have a razor that will last a lifetime. Need suggestions that are available/in stock (vs scouring ebay for a Peloponnesian war era Gillette superspeed :p)

Any/all price ranges are fine. Long as it's 3 digits or less anyway. For my nephew, something with a long handle/adjustable+(?) might be good since he's new? Maybe? Anyway, I trust y'all. Send them suggestions please.

(PS: I used voshkhod(sp) blades back when I had the merkur. Are they still recommended? And shaving soap/brush ideas would be great too. I'm sorry to be a nuisance, I'm a Veteran/ Single dad, work/school.. not much free time. (I'm not complaining at all btw; I love my life , and my two daughters are the best thing that ever happened to me. )always on the go.

Thank y'all so very much. You're the best!

V/R

TR

I don't have the broad experience of a lot of people here, but I'm a fan of Hensons, especially for a newbie. I'd suggest the AL13 mild for a newbie, but if he's already tried a DE and liked it, the AL13 medium is only the slightest bit more aggressive. It'll last a lifetime, and I doubt he'll ever feel like he needs anything else (unless he starts hanging out here, lol).

If you want to go all-out, there's also the titanium TI22. Same design as the AL13, but it's $250 instead of $70. They recently tweaked their design slightly and have been phasing in the update, so the TI22 is currently only available in mild, but I suspect the medium will be available within a couple weeks (no inside knowledge, so I don't know for sure). But like I said, the difference between the mild and medium is small. Both shave great, it might just take a few extra strokes to get to BBS, if that's what one is trying to do.

If you could have *1* and only one , for life, what would you buy?
edit: To answer your question, if I were buying 1 razor for myself for life, I'd want a TI22 medium. If I couldn't wait, I'd get an AL13 medium, or I think I saw the original design TI22 medium on BST the other day, I'd buy that if it's still there.

Last edited:
Razorock Gamechanger .68 OC. I've used Markur Progress, Henson medium (Al and Ti), and a Blackland Blackbird SS but I keep coming back to the RR GC. It's super smooth and provides irritation free shaves. The OC design works just as well on multiple days of growth as it does for every day shaving. It's stainless steel yet costs far less than most of the high end SS or Ti razors our there. I also have all the baseplate variations for the GC so if i want a little more aggression I can switch to the .84-p or .84-oc.

You are about to get 50 completely different opinions which is why many of us have more than “the one” razor lol.
I think you nailed it the first time with the Peloponnesian war era Gillette superspeed. Best of luck and I’ll add the Tatara Muramasa is looking like a keeper for myself. More fun is the Timeless OC .95 in stainless, that would be my one and only razor.
Even more fun would be to explore some antique stores and find lots of $5-15 vintage razors and discuss/learn/shave with your nephew.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Based on what I know now:

C2DA94D4-9C6D-4F5A-B736-F183BC5AC842.gif

But a GEM Micromatic Open Comb might be okay even without my knowing stuff. It’s a single edge, but I’ll use it twice.

I'l
You are about to get 50 completely different opinions which is why many of us have more than “the one” razor lol.
I think you nailed it the first time with the Peloponnesian war era Gillette superspeed. Best of luck and I’ll add the Tatara Muramasa is looking like a keeper for myself. More fun is the Timeless OC .95 in stainless, that would be my one and only razor.
Even more fun would be to explore some antique stores and find lots of $5-15 vintage razors and discuss/learn/shave with your nephew.
l second the recommendation of a Gillette Superspeed from the 60s. I was 16 once and would have found the gift of a razor from an earlier era really cool. I was alive during the Peleponnesian War, but I was too young to serve in the Athenian Army.

If I were brand new to DE shaving but knew what I know now, I would acquire my birth quarter Gillette Slim. It gives me great shaves, and I get a kick out of the nostalgia of shaving with a razor that was born when I was.
Birth quarter razor could be cool too if you're going vintage. But what would that be for Q3 2006? Something besides a Mach 3 I hope...

Razorock Gamechanger .68 OC. I've used Markur Progress, Henson medium (Al and Ti), and a Blackland Blackbird SS but I keep coming back to the RR GC. It's super smooth and provides irritation free shaves. The OC design works just as well on multiple days of growth as it does for every day shaving. It's stainless steel yet costs far less than most of the high end SS or Ti razors our there. I also have all the baseplate variations for the GC so if i want a little more aggression I can switch to the .84-p or .84-oc.

I couldn't agree more for my personal use. Great for everyday or if you skipped a few days. Solid construction that will last a lifetime. It's the one I'd keep if I could only have one.

If I were to get my nephews something, however, I'd go with the Simple Clean Shave razor. Extremely easy/safe to use and very efficient. Made in USA and less than $50! Aluminum and Stainless Steel construction should last decades. It's seriously a great razor.

I generally use two razors for each shave. A single non-adjustable is too mild for some parts or too aggressive for others.

I received a new Gillette Slim today and it's the nicest adjustable I've used, so if I could only have one that might be it.

Not following the Peloponnesian war joke (?) but I believe my first razor when I started shaving at 15-16 was a then current Super Speed. I have a vague memory. Still cut myself to pieces until I learned to shave but that's another story.

If he's 16 his beard is unlikely to be very coarse.
So I'd recommend a middle of the road easy to use DE.

My recommendations
Mühle R89 (or edwin jagger de89)
Merkur 34c
Rockwell 6s
Razorock Lupo 58
Maybe Razorock Game Changer 68

The Lupo might be overall the best, but tbh I would not recommend it to a beginner because it requires a steeper learning curve than the other recommendations.

A lifetime razor for a newbie? I can't say that I have tried a bunch of high-end razors, but when I read the OP's post, immediately the Henson AL13 Mild popped into my head. Super easy to use, gets the job done, can last a lifetime, and you can get it even lower than list if you can catch one of Razor Emporium's sales. I've had fewer than 10 razors (I've lost count), and now my only 2 razors are a Henson AL13 Mild and a pre-war Gillette Tech. I do love the Gillette Tech, but 90% of the time I reach for the Henson. I really could see myself still using this, and only this, razor ten years from now.

Dscosmetics ds-s9 is under $40 shipped rn for some back to school sale iirc. And I bet there's coupons available too. Inspired by the gamechanger .86 - 316l stainless, scalloped cap, multiple handle choices, and has a polished finish. They also have the d8 and t7 heads which are less "aggressive".

Last edited:
Top Bottom