What's new

What should be stocked in a home bar?

So, what would be considered the essentials in stocking a home bar? I'm not talking that exotic bottle of stuff you're keeping around for 2012, just the basics.

I assume you mean booze, not tools? This is pretty middle of the road stuff. You can go broke trying to stock a bar from scratch.

Stoli or Kettle one vodka: Not for you, you're too sophisticated, this is for your guests.
Highland Park scotch: Good single malt, great price point.
Dewers scotch: Well known blend. You're guests will like it.
Crown Royal: Good whisky, everyone is familiar with the name.
Woodford reserve bourbon: screw the price, it's worth every penny.
Basil Hayden bourbon: spicer and not as sweet as Woodford, good contrast.
Beefeaters gin: Good London dry, good price point.
Hendrick's gin: Totally different flavor profile than Beefeaters, guests are familiar with it.
Hornitos repasado tequila: will work for margaritas and polomas both.
Tres Generacions anjeo tequila: This is for sipping or something a little darker.
Barcardi silver rum: Very well know, works great in a mojito.
Black Seal dark rum: On the rocks or a dark 'n stormy, it's great.
Cointreau: Don't screw around with triple sec.
Vya or Noilly Prat dry vermouth: a must!!!
Carpano Anitca sweet vermouth: This will make the best mahattan you've ever had.
Soda siphon and co2 cartridges: Why buy it when it's just carbonated water?
Some tonic, olives and cherries and you've got a good start.

Last edited:
Tres Generacions anjeo tequila: This is for sipping or something a little darker.

This is all I need....

I would suggest Appleton gold rum (Jamaican)for a mixing rum rather than Bacardi. It runs about $14.50 for a bottle, and I find it good enough to drink straight, (not that I'm recommending it for that.)

Danek gave some nice brand recs. I won't get into that, but I'll try to give you a basic checklist. Note that this does not include bar tools. There is another recent thread on that. Glassware is also not included. The following should allow you to make most common cocktails and serve almost any guest something they will like. Of course you should add or subtract based on your (and your guest's) personal preferences.

Beer & Wine:
Light Macro Beer (bud, miller, coors, etc.)
Pale Ale or full flavored lager
Dark Ale
Dry White Wine
Sweet White Wine
Dry Red Wine
Sweet Red Wine
Hard Cider

Spirits:
Vodka
Gin
Light/White Rum
Dark Rum
Scotch
Bourbon
Tequila
Brandy

Mixers:
Cola (regular and diet)
Tonic
Club Soda
Cranberry juice
Simple Syrup
Ginger Ale
Sour Mix

Liqueurs:
Triple Sec/Cointreau
Coffee
Apple
Irish Cream
creme de cacao
creme de menthe
Amaretto
Dry Vermouth
Sweet Vermouth

Garnishs:
Lemons
Limes
Maraschino Cherries
Olives
Cocktail Onions
Mint

Other:
Bitters
Ice
Good bar/cocktail book

Last edited:
Danek's list is excellent, but it is not going to be cheap, and I am not going to help muchl

I take it this is for both having around and for relatively small parties/get togethers?
You probably want some liqueurs. Something in coffee like Kahlua or Tia Maria, or I might see going off brand there. And, heaven help us all, some kind of Baily's Irish cream concoction. Maybe some amaretto. None of this is inexpensive. These things give you after dinner options, but also lightweight drink like Kahlua or Amaretto and cream options. Gran Marnier maybe. I would actually be inclined to add some cognac to the basic bar list and as far as I am concerned Cointreau and cognac together are going to be better than Gran Marnier. Cognac not only gives you the after dinner drink the ability to make things like Sidecars, if someone is so inclined.

How old are you? Are folks going to need things like shots of Jägermeister? Apple liqueur for apple martinis? What are the "hot" drinks these days?

I would be tempted to upgrade the Barcardi, too. And scratch the dark rum, the Crown Royal, the Basil Hyden, and the Dewers. No one that likes Dewers is going to be unhappy with the Highland Park. Let the whiskey drinkers "make do" with the Woodford Reserve. It is as good as anything on that list and it would be all I would need to be happy. I think I would go with one gin to start (even though gin is trendy, I think it is going to end up in gin and tonic, and no one is going to be too upset not have a selection) and just the Hornitos for tequila. (I like good tequila as much as I like anything, but I have never had anyone ask for some snipping tequila. Hornitos is not my favorite, but it is a good utility tequila. Just good enough.)

At the end of the day, if your friends are like our friends, you are going to go through an unbelievable ocean of vodka and not all the much else, matter what the trendy drinks are and no matter that lots else on Danek's list is lots more interesting and higher quality. I would almost be willing to bet that the good Scotch and the Woodfords will be relatively untouched, except what you drink yourself! Makes no sense to me, but that is my experience.

Stoli or Kettle one vodka: Not for you, you're too sophisticated, this is for your guests

Alright, I'll say it: There's nothing inherently unsophisticated about vodka. There are a lot of vodka-based cocktails out there that I'd sooner go dry than order for myself, but there are quite a few I have no problem with whatsoever: Bloody Marys, Russians, heck even the Harvey Wallbanger, etc. They're not standbys by any measure, but there's no shame in 'em. And you might want vodka around for Rickeys, Long Islands, assorted SWMBO drinks, etc. Just because vodkas don't feature much in the way of flavor profile doesn't mean the litre of Stoli you stock in your home bar is stricktly "not for you." :cool:

Don't forget fresh lemons, limes, and a juicer. Fresh bar syrup of course too, keep it in the fridge and it'll be fine for at least a couple weeks.

I like the siphon idea... I need to look into that. :thumbup1:

And scratch the... Dewers. No one that likes Dewers is going to be unhappy with the Highland Park.

I beg to differ. I think an inexpensive blended scotch (either Dewars or JW Red) is essential. Scotch-rocks and scotch & soda are popular (at least with my casual drinkin' buddies), and there's absolutely no way I'd mix either with a single malt. Save that for those who want their scotch neat. The fact you would have an HP as opposed to a Glenfiddich, Glenlivet or Macallan is classy enough -- no need to waste it on Rob Roys.

proxy.php

and it gives the answer to the question in the OP.

I'll just comment on the catchall "bitters".

You need, as a minimum, angostura, Peychaud's and orange bitters.

I don't throw the wild parties, but sometimes I do find the need to entertain, business and pleasure.
No Mad Dog? Well, I can see I am seriously understocked. I will be needing to make some trips to the booze store.

I would suggest Appleton gold rum (Jamaican)for a mixing rum rather than Bacardi. It runs about $14.50 for a bottle, and I find it good enough to drink straight, (not that I'm recommending it for that.)

In addition, I'm going to recommend Sailor Jerry as a substitute for Bacardi.

I don't throw the wild parties, but sometimes I do find the need to entertain, business and pleasure.
No Mad Dog? Well, I can see I am seriously understocked. I will be needing to make some trips to the booze store.

"Business" you say? Scratch my suggestions then. I would reinstate the Royal Crown, the Basil Hayden, and the Hendricks gin. Don't worry much about the liqueurs, either. A bottle of blended Scotch is probably a good idea, too. Dewers would be okay. I would step up to Johnnie Walker Black instead of the Red if you are going to Johnnie Walker. (I have water and/or ice with my single malts about half the time. I would be willing to bet that your average business guy will at least have ice. Been a long time since I put soda in anything and a Rob Roy is an infrequent request. But that just my be my circles.) Maybe get some Grey Goose or something like it as well as the Stoli and the Kettle one.

I do not think I would bother with creme de menthe or creme de cocoa. Pearl onions probably not either. You might want to get a bottle of Rose's lime juice for gimlets and in a pinch as a lime juice substitute. It lasts forever and you will probably have the same bottle forever.

Something like the following is the minimal to make most people happy
rum, vodka, tequilla, and some kind of whisky or brandy
coffee and orange liqueur
Roses lime juice
plain soda, cola, and lemon-type soda (e.g. 7-up)
small cans of pineapple and tomato juice can be stored for months
cranberry and orange juice should be bought fresh
and, of course, several bottles of white and red wine

It might also be good to have both sweet and dry whisky, like bourbon and irish

+1 on the cointreau. My favorite mixed drink is kamikaze, and most triple-secs are cheap and too sweet. Also, rose's goes real quick around here.

Last edited:
I'll just comment on the catchall "bitters".

You need, as a minimum, angostura, Peychaud's and orange bitters.

My god, how could I have forgotton the bitters? A sure fire way to improve any cocktail, and a must for lots of cocktails. I think you could do just fine with one aromatic (Angostura, Peychaud's) and one orange (Regan's, Fee Bros, or Angostura).

I like the siphon idea... I need to look into that. :thumbup1:

CastleCraver, the siphon is great, I have an iSi loaded and ready to go in the fridge at all times. I don't drink store-bought soda at home any more. The siphon is great for Italian sodas, lemonade, etc. in addition to cocktails. CO2 cartridges can be had for something like 20 cents/per if you buy in bulk.

I have been building my bar (once the basic are in place, which is well outlined above) one bottle at a time.
What I mean is I acquire bottle of booze as I need them to try a cocktail recipe you find interesting.
So you get interested in an making something with Benedictine, just pick up a bottle and give it a try.
That way you'll have a use for the booze you just bought (if you like the cocktail) or you can just keep experimenting until you find one you do.

I assume you mean booze, not tools? This is pretty middle of the road stuff. You can go broke trying to stock a bar from scratch.

Stoli or Kettle one vodka: Not for you, you're too sophisticated, this is for your guests.
Highland Park scotch: Good single malt, great price point.
Dewers scotch: Well known blend. You're guests will like it.
Crown Royal: Good whisky, everyone is familiar with the name.
Basil Hayden bourbon: spicer and not as sweet as Woodford, good contrast.
Beefeaters gin: Good London dry, good price point.
Hendrick's gin: Totally different flavor profile than Beefeaters, guests are familiar with it.
Barcardi silver rum: Very well know, works great in a mojito.
Black Seal dark rum: On the rocks or a dark 'n stormy, it's great.
Cointreau: Don't screw around with triple sec.
Vya or Noilly Prat dry vermouth: a must!!!
Carpano Anitca sweet vermouth: This will make the best mahattan you've ever had.
Some tonic, olives and cherries and you've got a good start.

Yeah, that would thin the wallet if done all at once.

Top Bottom