What's new

What shaving soaps have you relegated to the shower or bath

I did this for the very first time yesterday.

The product was a generic shave stick I bought from a store when I was in the early days of my wet shaving experience and couldn’t go past an item without buying it (especially soaps and creams).

This thing was awful. It would never lather properly and always resulted in nicks. In the early days I thought it was user error, but on a whim I tried it again yesterday having since used some great cheap and more expensive soaps and creams (Derby, Tabac), and it truly was awful. It only cost a couple of dollars.

Tell us about the items that you have relegated to the bath or shower.

Update: as a bath soap it’s not bad. Makes big bubbles and is quite moisturising. I tried to make a ‘shave’ lather in my hands and it was impossible to get glossy thick slippy lather. Obviously I didn’t bother to try with a brush.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Herban Cowboy.

Joshua Tree.

Most recently, Buff City Soaps.

*Not*shave*soaps.

They are lucky; I think Dr. Bronner went in the trash ..

AA

Floris 89. Best scent. Worst performance. Rock hard. No lather. Took forever even as a shower soap.

10 different TASS artisan soaps. Actually all 12 that I bought. My wife ended up with 2 of them for shower soaps.

They worked just fine I just found better: Tabac, Arko, Cella and the like.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

10 different TASS artisan soaps. Actually all 12 that I bought. My wife ended up with 2 of them for shower soaps.

They worked just fine I just found better: Tabac, Arko, Cella and the like.

What... I find TASS soaps well performing, at least as good as Cella, if not better. I guess YMMV.

For me, there were only two that ended up in the shower.
Olivina Bourbon Cedar was a glycerin soap with horrible shaving performance, but a great scent.
Cold River Soap Works Bay Rum. The performance was good, but the bay rum scent had both clove and cinnamon which smelled great but irritated my face. Thus, I used it in the shower for washing less sensitive parts.

I had a couple of soaps that I hated both the scent and the performance. One I tossed in the trash; the other I gave away at a shaving meet.

What... I find TASS soaps well performing, at least as good as Cella, if not better. I guess YMMV.

I did say they worked just fine. lol. 2 of the 12 my face just didn’t like. They burned on my face. Those were the first ones. The 2 my wife used in the shower, I just didn’t care for the scent.

I have way too much stuff as it is. It takes me about a month and a half to use a tub in the shower and these have been in rotation for about 3 years so I don’t feel I’m wasting anything.

I just think Tabac, Cella (both red and green), Arko, Williams and both red and green Proraso are better.

I also want to get those used before they have an opportunity to go bad. It also taught me that 6oz of soap is a $&@!ton of soap. Lol.

Col. Conk Bay Rum. I never could get it to lather at all. Then again, this was more than a few years ago when I was new to wet shaving.

I did say they worked just fine. lol. 2 of the 12 my face just didn’t like. They burned on my face. Those were the first ones. The 2 my wife used in the shower, I just didn’t care for the scent.

I have way too much stuff as it is. It takes me about a month and a half to use a tub in the shower and these have been in rotation for about 3 years so I don’t feel I’m wasting anything.

I just think Tabac, Cella (both red and green), Arko, Williams and both red and green Proraso are better.

I also want to get those used before they have an opportunity to go bad. It also taught me that 6oz of soap is a $&@!ton of soap. Lol.

haha, I didn't see the latter statement. Yes, they are giant tubs and I still have three to finish. It's a struggle.

Top Bottom