What's new

What shaving products have you "gone off" and why?

La Toja shaving sticks. I love the smell but they irritate my skin. I think they must have changed the formula because they never used to.

Proraso Green. Preshaves. Right now I am down to three soaps I really like. ARKO, Cella, and Tabac. I have a lot of each I really won't need to buy anything for shaving for two years. But I probably will.

I've gone off various products in my shaving routine:

Soaps: Tabac Original, Speick Active Men, Proraso (white series)
Tabac eventually dried my skin out, plus I found the intense powdry smell increasingly difficult to bear in the early morning.
I found Speick and Proraso's smell just plain boring and uninspiring in the long run.

Creams: Weleda and Proraso (white series)
Both lather up very well and offer a rich, slick and protective layer of foam, but both of them smell quite dull, so I chucked them.

After-shave lotions: Tabac Original, Pitralon Classic
Tabac eventually felt like liquid fire on my freshly shaved skin, plus the smell became too intense for me in the early morning. Pitralon Classic made it impossible to apply any other fragrance (EdT, even EdP), because it literally killed all other perfumes with its overwhelming and long-lasting smell (not fragrance).

Brushes: Mühle Silvertip Badger, Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic, Simpson Trafalgar T2
None of them could compete against my trusted Mühle Silvertip Fibre brushes in the long run.

Blades: Astra Superior Platinum, Feather, Voskhod
I used all these blades for quite a while but eventually found Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet and Treet Platinum Super Stainless a lot more suitable for my skin, a lot less aggressive.

Razors: Mühle R89, Mühle R94 Rocca, Giesen & Forsthoff Timor CC
All those razors had to finally give way to the multiversal Rockwell 6S. Design-wise the Rocky might not be exactly called "eye candy", but its shaving properties are not only far beyond any justified doubt but simply excel any other razor I've ever used.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Will be ditching PAA Tube 2.0 and OPR Shaving Soap in a pump bottle as a pre-shave. I find the best option as a pre-shave for me is Cremo shave soap in a tube. It provides the best additional slickness of the three products. Tempted to try Luck Tiger shave cream as a pre-shave. Maybe in time.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Post shave soother of any kind. Just not necessary since started SR shaving a while back. Also often do just one pass and never more than two. Dialed in my preferred soaps that offer lots of what I like.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was going to buy some pre-shave oil.... but I looked at several of them and they all seem to have the same ingredients with a few variations. I ended up looking for pre-shave recipes online and combined a few that looked interesting and made my own. I'm not quite sure if it's helping my shaves, but I sort of like it.

I started out with 4 soaps. The one I know I'll never buy again is Proraso White. It didn't seem to perform that well, but I'm a newbie so I might have been doing something wrong. I might give it a shot rather than throwing it out, but I have two containers of Acca Kappa Barbershop and two containers of Executive Shaving Co. Citrus Kiss that I like a lot... and one of Mudder Focker from RazoRock... so I won't need the Proraso for a long time.

Razorock shave soaps and a/s. Loved them at first when I got into wet shaving.. now not. Their as remind me of toilet water. Have long since been pif’d away

I used to think tallow Tabac was the best at everything, even the crazy scent. It’s my most-used lather. But I don’t use it any more. I’ve found other better performing and smelling stuff that I enjoy using way more.

Pinaud-Clubman Aftershave -- too much perfume, too little of everything else I expect in an aftershave ....
Feather blades -- just generally a disappointing blade, compared to what I had expected reading about it
Among many other products I have abandoned .....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well, this is an easy one, the answer is Captain's Choice Land Ho Cream!
1656721542265.png

I swear this particular cream comes from Hades, it literally burns my skin, and every shave I have had with it, has ended with nicks, weepers, and irritation. I don't recommend this. And its a shame too, cause its no surprise that I am a huge Captains Choice advocate. But alas, I can not advocate for this product.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Proraso Green (which was the only Proraso product I used). OK for me as a starter, but I make my own soap and like that a lot more.

@Ravenonrock that's interesting. Using a devette for (mostly) one pass also means I don't need the Nivea Sensitive Men cream. Going to another razor and doing two passes and cleanups, though, and that glop'll come out again.

O.H.

Top Bottom