What's new

What shaving gifts did you get?

Wife got me a minty 1938-45 Gillette tech with box for Christmas.

B607A6A6-46FA-4AA7-85D6-125259E8FEB2.jpeg

70DE6C87-6CF9-4C4B-AF86-84630AE4268C.jpeg

I am sure you will love both. Two masterpieces of design.

The Slim is a razor of the 60's. The designers had the foresight and technical and asthetic genius to create a truly beautiful razor. They lowered the head, lowered weight by about 12 gms and gave her a longer handle. Graceful and sophisticated. I got a great shave from mine, and a joy to use.

The 195 is a different animal. She lives in the 1950's and has the looks of a 'wonder razor' straight from the Super Speed trio. Beefier, and so satisfying in the hand.

It was just ergonomics with me, but I just go with the 195 for ease of use. I have a thing about shorter handles.

I would be happy with both though.

Both are masterpieces of classic mass production design, almost pop art; both so redolent of the decades they were created in.

If you like a read and are a tragic vintage nerd like me, you may enjoy these links:

195 Adjustable Gillette 195 Adjustable Fat Boy - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Gillette_195_Adjustable_Fat_Boy
Slim Adjustable https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Gillette_Slim

Enjoy!
Thanks @alumladd for the information and your take. I think I may become a vintage nerd. Most of what I have is vintage.

Technically not a shaving related gift, but I also received this Tissot Heritage 1973. Limited run of 1973, I give you number 0738:

tempImageioPJnl.jpg

Dog just pushed his schnoz against it, sorry for the smudge at 6:00. I'm seriously digging this one. And I time my shaves, so it may actually be a shaving related gift.:shifty:

My bad. On my phone the Fatboy was completely cut out of the photo. J st aemt back to check and it wasn't visible at all. There was a Slim front and center and I made the assumption that there was some confusion.
Went back to the photo amd lf I tap on it to open it up, the Fatboy becomes visible.

Sorry for my mistake. I swear the Fatboy is not depicted unless I actually pull up the photo separately.

Personally, I have expressed preference for the Fatboy over the Slim on this forum many times. I like the Toggle even better, though.

I can verify that. the same thing happened on my desktop.

Hello Space Monkey!
View attachment 1577247

🐒 I am a funky chunky monkey, who wishes he got a chance to go to space. But apparently I am so crazy, I belong at the zoo. :letterk1:

OK jokes aside... With the Christmas rush always being a total and complete disaster every year, I wanted to avoid all that, so I ordered my Christmas gift to self months ago. And thus, you folks already know about it by now. But just as a reminder as to what the item was, intended to be gift to thy self, for Christmas, it is none other then the................

PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable In Rose Gold!
proxy.php
That is a great looking razor happy shaves

Hello Space Monkey!
View attachment 1577247

🐒 I am a funky chunky monkey, who wishes he got a chance to go to space. But apparently I am so crazy, I belong at the zoo. :letterk1:

OK jokes aside... With the Christmas rush always being a total and complete disaster every year, I wanted to avoid all that, so I ordered my Christmas gift to self months ago. And thus, you folks already know about it by now. But just as a reminder as to what the item was, intended to be gift to thy self, for Christmas, it is none other then the................

PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable In Rose Gold!
proxy.php
That is a snazzy razor!!

Top Bottom