What's new

What Shaving Gear do you NOT have an Acquisition Disorder for?

So far nothing, luckily.

I still search for razors but my shopping criteria is so demanding that I hardly buy anything (has to be an open comb Gillette or any local brand sold for under $ 7.50 and in almost pristine condition).

As to soaps, creams and aftershaves I have more than enough (six). I have blades for two or three years, plus, only a brush is what I need.

I found my go to soap brand Ethos, so I’m not buying soaps like I used to. And aftershave, I discovered my favorite quite some time ago, so I don’t go after many new scents. But razors & brushes? That’s another story!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I found my go to soap brand Ethos, so I’m not buying soaps like I used to. And aftershave, I discovered my favorite quite some time ago, so I don’t go after many new scents. But razors & brushes? That’s another story!
I was gifted some Ethos. Truly an incredible soap. Smell: wonderful. Performance: even better. Actually the only soap I've tried besides Arko that I'd spend money on. Maybe Sterling?

BAD and HAD hit me the hardest.
RAD and SAD we’re manageable.
Dabbled briefly with different lather bowls, frags and strops.

Vintage razors, DE blades, aftershaves and balms have not been a problem for me so far.

I was gifted some Ethos. Truly an incredible soap. Smell: wonderful. Performance: even better. Actually the only soap I've tried besides Arko that I'd spend money on. Maybe Sterling?
The Ethos is certainly at the top of my list. I'm glad you have been able to try some.

...strangely I do not have the same acquisition disorder when it comes to razors...(I have 7 or 8 total)...
Round these parts, seven or eight razors may not be considered a "disorder" or even a "collection," but nobody in my personal circle of family and friends has more than one or two permanent (not disposable) razors, so I reckon it's all relative. I could say the same about bowls, brushes, soaps or creams.
Of course, plenty of sensible gents will have more than one package of blades, but the chaps here who blithely refer to their "stash" of several hundred tucks or blades as being perfectly reasonable and not indicative of hoarding because they have no present desire to buy more, are simply deluding themselves and living in shaving's own little cloud-cuckoo-land!

Last edited:
Brushes. I have two of them. Haven't used either in months.

Ah! But that intrigues the little gray cells of the Sherlock Holmes area of your frontal lobe, doesn't it? From that you deduce I am not a big soap user, nor a great collector of mugs and bowls.

Correct on all counts, Doctor Watson! You burn with a white hot deductive fire this evening!

I use almost exclusively shaving creams. Like Proraso and Cremo Cream. And hand lather them directly to my face. I'm not retired...so I appreciate time expedient methods. Later, when I am retired, I'll take all kinds of time shaving before settling down to a comfy chair and reruns of "The Rifleman" and "Have Gun, Will Travel".

OMG! Thank you! I never looked at it that way. I retired over 21 years ago and haven't been in a barbershop since. I just did the math and $10 (plus tip) every 2 weeks over the last 21 years easily covers what I've spent on shaving gear. It still doesn't fully justify it, but that won't stop me from using it in my defense if it ever comes up in conversation :)
OMG! You're right. If I look at it that way, the money I save shaving myself every day instead of going to a barber is incalculable!
It certainly pays for my shaving supplies and cologne collection. In fact, I can refer to the savings in defence of my book and record collections, as well as justifying my drinking habit!

Blades, I'm really light on blades, about 40 or 50 that's it, I'm not one of these guys buying a 100 pack every month or so. I have enough blades I believe to get through 2021 to be honest, I'm a one blade a week guy, or at least right around there.

The disorder that scares me is brushes...........that could be a wicked bad rabbit hole.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Not interested in pre-shaves, balms or moisturizers. I do appreciate quality soaps and creams and would like to narrow my collection down to a handful of favoured hard soaps eventually. I like using what I own regularly, keeping the numbers modest makes it manageable.

I just did the math, I have enough razor blades to last me for 50 years. I think any blade AD I may have is satisfied.

I never really had RAD. I am very happy with my WCS Razor handles and the WCS-Charcoal Goods razor head set (along with the WCS OC head). That said, I am interested in adding a Tech (or a Tech clone) to the rest of my collection, which consists of an AOS Muhle R89 headed razor, a Lord S-625, and my original Micro Touch One TTO. However, I would want to get it just to see what all the fuss is about.

Neither do I have a brush AD. I have a VDH silvertip that suits me well. Sure, it may be a little floppy for some, but I remedy that by choking up on my grip. Yes, the flowthrough isn't the greatest, buy it's decent enough for my purposes. Best of all, it was more or less free since I received it as a replacement for a VDH pure badger that had a shedding problem. (I've now converted the pure badger brush into a travel brush.)

For aftershaves, I have two commercial splashes (Clubman Pinaud and Aqua Velva Ice), one homemade splash (with witch hazel and alcohol as the main ingredients), and three balms (Nivea Sensitive Skin, Duke Cannon, and this small tin of cedar scented balm that was part of a 3 piece facial hair grooming set I purchased for $1.25 at Burlington).

I don't have a bowl AD whatsoever. I face lather. I used a VDH mug to hold a soap puck but now use it to help keep my brush soak cup (an old yogurt container) warm when shaving.

I do have a variety if soaps, though. Thanks to this group, I've learned about so many different shave soaps I'd like to try. I've purchased a number of them, but by no means all of them. I can hold off on acquiring more soaps, especially since most of them can't be found in the wild here and I really dislike (1) paying for shipping and (2) being extorted into buying more products so I qualify for free shipping.

My main AD (read vice) is EDT. I have too many EDTs I picked up from Ross, Burlington, Marshall's, etc.

Brushes. I honestly don't understand the lure.

I have a Rubberset 400 with a Plissoft synthetic knot, one Graydog synthetic, and one more smaller synthetic that my wife got me for Christmas about 6 years ago.

Aside from that I have one vintage true butterscotch brush that has a finest badger knot, but I never use it. It is on display with my shaving stuff.

Razors. The Feather AS-D2 as my second razor kind of stopped me from experimenting too much. I got a vintage Gillette SS for work and I asked for a vintage adjustable from Santa but I really don't see how a shave could be better than the Feather! I had sort of a blade disorder but that was just due to trying out a variety to see what worked best. But I'm good for a long time now and have no interest in the blades.

Everything else? My wife is completely tired of me talking about soaps, creams, aftershaves and especially brushes!

Top Bottom