What's new

What Shaving Gear do you NOT have an Acquisition Disorder for?

Brushes, thank The Maker. I've got acquisition disorder for blades and razors, that's enough.
edit: soap was getting out of hand but I think I stopped...
edit again: Aftershave, I have none.
edit again again: no alum

I'm pretty much addicted to buying razors and blades, and I'm trying to kick the soap habit.
What were we talking about again ?

I've been on a shaving AD jag for the two months since I decided to buy a safety razor. But, I'd have to say I no longer have AD, the result of a conscious decision to not rotate through different razor brands or types plus the acquisition of about a three-year supply of blades. I'm satisfied with my two Rockwell 6S razors, the second having been acquired to cover backup and travel needs.

This doesn't mean that I don't think about other razors, or that I don't admire them on various web sites. I figure that if I buy another razor, there would be three possible scenarios. If I were to like the new one better than the 6S, then those would be relegated to the cavern under the sink. If I like the new one less, then that one would be a wasted purchase. If no difference (unlikely), that would be the best outcome.

In fact, the only purchase I'll likely make in the next year might be another brush, a Best Badger to put in daily rotation with my Silvertip and a Pure Badger. I'm throwing out another Pure Badger brush that's about 10 years old and feels like it's made of Porcupine quills. I'm looking forward to trying another soap, but only after my cake of Mitchell's is gone and I've used up a tube of Proraso cream.

All by way of saying, I'm not going to make a hobby out of shaving; it's just a much more enjoyable part of my day. Rockwell and West Coast Shaving are going to miss me for a while.

But that ATT Classic with the Atlas handle sure looks good...

Uh electric shaver
Not a big aftershave fan happy with a balm or alcohol free splash
Blades pretty much sorted out and enough for several years
For all the rest I am scr.... but relative under control. Meaning lots of stuff the Dutch mantra kijken kijken niet kopen.

I can stop buying razor. A Merkur 34C does what I need it to do.

What I can't stop buying is blades and shaving cream.
I just bought another 200 Israeli Personnas to add to my other 500. Also have 6 of the same St James of London cream. Sorry, can’t help you there. 🤪

As some other enablers have pointed out, I too save money by doing all my grooming myself as opposed to a trip to the barber every week (I was military). I started shaving my head around 2004.

My RAD is a fools errand. After 16 years and 40+ razors the only razors I truly all around love are my original Gillette NEW long comb and Super Speed that I started traditional wet shaving with. I have spares of each. I did find two additional razors over the years I love for head shaving and I bought spares. I think I’ve finally kicked RAD.

No interest in straights. I tried for six months and despised the maintenance. I gave away all my straight stuff to my nephew and haven’t been the least bit interested in trying again.

I do occasionally buy aftershaves but as a rule prefer unscented witch hazel. So not an issue unless I decide to acquire it by the gallon. I do love me some Clubman though.

I have a favorite synthetic and a favorite boar and I have backups of each. I’m absolutely not a badger fan. My Simpson best badger Chubby 3 stopped my brush acquisition cold. I decided that wasn’t a rabbit hole that I was interested in going down.

I have no interest in anything pre-shave. I could never tell the difference when I used them but clean up was harder. I have one PAA pre-shave cube I use if I trip across a substandard soap but it’s pretty old.

Soaps, oh God the soaps and creams. That is my problem. I think it’s been over two years since I finished anything. They’re my Achilles heal along with always buying at least 100 blades at a time.

For me, it's always been blades. After finding what worked for me I stopped looking. Now I buy a 100 pack and that lasts for years. I also use straight razors so that helps as well.

Never had a desire to have more than one home brush and one travel brush. Once I figured I liked horsehairs best, I got a Shave Forge horse knot and a Whipped Dog handle and that's been it. Gave the badger brush I tried to my brother for Christmas.

I had a RAD for straights for a little while, and didn't mind stropping, but the constant worry of "does this need to be honed?" got tiresome and I've gotten away from it. I've kept two just on the odd occasions I want to pick it up again.

I have an occasional curiosity to try some different DEs if the sound interesting, but don't hold on to any - I have a GameChanger 84, a Blackland Dart and the Gillette Superspeed I started wet shaving with, and no interest to try others. Blades - I'll try different brands but usually limit it to a tuck or two from Maggards. I only bought my first bulk pack this week when I saw Amazon had Nacets for cheap.

Soaps and aftershaves are my RAD weak spot. I like scents and have dry skin so always glad to have something that helps out on that.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There are some changes needed to my original post. Original post in black, changes in red.

Blades: Stash of 600. I went through several blade droughts in the past, and never want to face another. Now stopped buying. No change

Soap/Cream: One primary soap, one primary cream, shave sticks for travel. Four other soaps in case I get bored and need a change. Added a stockpile of 10 small mug soaps, and 6 larger tub soaps, to allow me to move away from online purchasing.

Razors: 5 DE, 2 shavette, 2 straight. Only a few get much use. No change

Brushes: Three synthetics. One for hard soap, one for soft soap and cream, and one for travel. Added two spare brushes.

Post-shave: Three EdT, three aftershave lotion, three balm, currently exploring moisturisers. Settled on two main moisturisers, as well as the other post shaves.

Top Bottom