What's new

What shaving angle is this?

Eben Stone

Staff member
I admit I do like watching shaving videos, but I did lost interest for quite a while and haven't watched any for a long time. As a newbie to straight razor shaving I thought I would poke around and see if I could find something interesting to watch.

So I stumbled upon this geofatboy video:

And I can't figure out what shaving angle he's using, it looks like around 9:00 in he's using 90°. Is that an optical illusion?

For me, increasing the angle from about 1/2 spine to about 2 spines width made a noticeable improvement for me. But I cant figure out what he's doing. Its more of a curiosity. It looks like he's achieving what looks like a great shave using 90°.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I admit I do like watching shaving videos, but I did lost interest for quite a while and haven't watched any for a long time. As a newbie to straight razor shaving I thought I would poke around and see if I could find something interesting to watch.

And I can't figure out what shaving angle he's using, it looks like around 9:00 in he's using 90°. Is that an optical illusion?

For me, increasing the angle from about 1/2 spine to about 2 spines width made a noticeable improvement for me. But I cant figure out what he's doing. Its more of a curiosity. It looks like he's achieving what looks like a great shave using 90°.
The shaving angle is very much determined by the keenness of the edge. Generally the keener (sharper) the edge, the more acute the shave angle.

Be that as it may and not withstanding the foregoing, each SR shaver needs to determine the best shave angle for him or herself based on the blade and edge that they are using.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After having now watched the video, I don't see any 90° shave angle except maybe were he is starting a N-S stoke under the nose. He is however shaving with a greater shave angle than I would normally use.

Also, if the recorded sound of his shaving is anything to go by, he is not getting a close shave. I hear a lot of scraping in all three passes.

He's using an angle that would be steeper than my technique personally. However, I cannot judge another Man's regimen if he's enjoying his shaves. Some might even accuse me of using too shallow an angle if they watched my technique. For my modest SR collection, there are some blades that work best when they lat almost flat to my skin and others require a more steeper angle. It's really all about your experimentation with your razor on your face. Another thing to note is that the width of your blades and shaving certain places on your face come into play. If you are using a 7/8 straight razor and you are addressing the area between your nose and upper lip, unless you have Paul Bunyon's face, you are going to have to use a steep angle to begin that stroke.

Others like a 5/8 or 9/16 for that area so, they may use two razors during a shave or simply make one straight work throughout.

The SR Journey is so personal, that's why we're doing this together while being so far apart. It truly is relative.

Good luck.

I think some of this video could be a camera lens/angle/reflecting distortion giving some exaggeration of the angle at times, but
I have watched some of his other videos when he was using a shavette, where he also appeared to use a high blade angle. Much higher than what I use. My speculation is that he has a developed great blade feel and pressure control, to the point that he can make blade contact and shave away the beard whether shaving at 15 degrees or 60 degrees.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think some of this video could be a camera lens/angle/reflecting distortion giving some exaggeration of the angle at times, but
I have watched some of his other videos when he was using a shavette, where he also appeared to use a high blade angle. Much higher than what I use. My speculation is that he has a developed great blade feel and pressure control, to the point that he can make blade contact and shave away the beard whether shaving at 15 degrees or 60 degrees.

I have seen vids of Indian street barbers using extremely high angles, and even pinching instead of stretching the skin. There are plenty of ways to gitter done. Some just happen to work better or easier than others for most of us. Shavettes or very sharp straight razors, for most of us, work best with very shallow shave angles, half a spine thickness or less. Nothing wrong with trying something else, but if it doesn't work for you, then stick with what you know will work for you.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have seen vids of Indian street barbers using extremely high angles, and even pinching instead of stretching the skin. There are plenty of ways to gitter done. Some just happen to work better or easier than others for most of us. Shavettes or very sharp straight razors, for most of us, work best with very shallow shave angles, half a spine thickness or less. Nothing wrong with trying something else, but if it doesn't work for you, then stick with what you know will work for you.
The closest shave I've been able to achieve so far is having the spine touching, a fairly noticeably amount of inward pressure (so that the blade feels like a suction cup while it glides over the skin), and stretching the skin to an extreme. I've tried other combinations of things, but the results were not as good.

Hopefully this is an acceptable technique, because I don't want to learn any bad habits. Everyone says to use no/less pressure, but so far I haven't been able to make that work.

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
Maybe it's an optical illusion. This looks like 90° to me.

20220630_145038.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You can start off WTG with the blade almost flat, then do an ATG with the blade angle a bit higher. A final ATG cleanup pass can work at an even higher angle because there’s almost nothing left, and you can get an even closer shave.

Two caveats: 1) you need a very slick soap with good residual slickness to raise the SR angle much; and 2) when you raise the angle, you’re more likely to nick yourself (see #1). Economical slick soaps are La Toja and Pre de Provence.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
@Eben Stone - I’m guessing that image is a ‘camera shot’ and maybe he really isn’t shaving with the razor at that angle. It’s possible I suppose, with the lightest of pressure and a slick lather, and note that there’s almost nothing left.

A high angle also beats up the edge.

Eben Stone

Staff member
@Eben Stone - I’m guessing that image is a ‘camera shot’ and maybe he really isn’t shaving with the razor at that angle. It’s possible I suppose, with the lightest of pressure and a slick lather, and note that there’s almost nothing left.

A high angle also beats up the edge.
It's a screenshot of the video at approx 9:12. He's shaving. In the middle of a stroke. :straight:

Top Bottom