What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Tested out this disposable Treet straight edge razor this morning!
Took a couple cheek strokes while otherwise shaving with the dependable old Reynolds.
Treet was certainly sharp, actually sharper than my Reynolds, but not particularly comfortable or smooth.
Getting the proper angle was a little challenging, but that might be a learning curve issue.
Good thing it didn't cost more than $1!
It might be good for a couple more shaves, but it went straight into the Plastic Recycle bin!
Interesting experiment, gives me greater appreciation for my Feather AC's!

treet disposable razor.jpg

Tested out this disposable Treet straight edge razor this morning!
Took a couple cheek strokes while otherwise shaving with the dependable old Reynolds.
Treet was certainly sharp, actually sharper than my Reynolds, but not particularly comfortable or smooth.
Getting the proper angle was a little challenging, but that might be a learning curve issue.
Good thing it didn't cost more than $1!
It might be good for a couple more shaves, but it went straight into the Plastic Recycle bin!
Interesting experiment, gives me greater appreciation for my Feather AC's!

View attachment 1225496
Interesting razor. Looks like it might use an injector blade? Can the blade be changed once the original one is spent?

Thanks for taking it apart and posting the picture. Interesting to see those extra holes punched in the blade. I suppose that could have been done to help with the manufacturing, but seems unnecessary.
Not sure that the blade was fixed by the top rivets.
In which case the extra holes would be needed to anchor the blade.

Not sure that the blade was fixed by the top rivets.
In which case the extra holes would be needed to anchor the blade.
Thanks for pointing that out. On first look I had just assumed the half blade was being held against the 3 top stops by the two lower dimples, similar to how other shavettes use the top half of the blade to get a grip. But now that you point out how it is held, I can see that there would not be any blade exposure if the half blade was nestled up that high. That the lower two dimples help position the blade for proper exposure and make it very safe for the user...making it so the blade cannot be removed without being ripped apart.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday February 22, 2021
Razor: Salon Care SS Clone ("Sally SS")
Blade: Kai Pink (3)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Yardley Almond

IMG_0494[1].JPG

After last day when improved technique worked out pretty well with the Focus Slim Al I decided to saddle up Sally and see how she does now. I think I set a new world record for length of shave but most of it was "movement blocking" which is to say I would observe the next area to be shaved and decide how to hold the razor with which hand and then find the best angle for skin stretching with the other hand. Then I'd paint on some lather and have at it. Lather-shave-rinse-repeat.

After much careful shaving I ended up with a DFS+ which makes me happy.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday February 24, 2021
Razor: "Sally SS"
Blade: Kai Mild Pink (4)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Yardley Almond

IMG_0494[1].JPG

Me and Sally, we got a thing goin' on...

Mother Murphy did I get a close shave this morning! When the lather quit flying I had achieved a BBS for sure. Mrs. Hippie was most complimentary.

The shave was not effortless. It took a long time. But I've started to get results. I'm good with the time -- I'm learning for one thing, but for another if I need a shave faster I've got options including "grin and bare it" and wait for tomorrow. Yes, the pun was intentional.

O.H.

[No picture, but it's the black handled aluminium one - can't chuck a brick online without seeing pictures of it.]

Dovo Shavette, clear insert, half an Astra SP.

I cut my teeth (and most of the rest of my face) on half-DE bladed shavettes, before getting into stropping and honing of the ones with solid blades. I'd finally got a shavette with a proper brand name late last year, but hadn't got round to using it until this morning.

I was surprisingly nervous considering a couple of hundred straight razor shaves between then and now - I suppose I'd been thinking of shavettes as "the ones that cut you" - though it's true that the solid blades seem to be more forgiving. Turns out it was all my lousy technique back in the day, and with a bit of experience they can be as smooth and comfortable as anything.

Suppose I'll have to consider a full length insert or something a bit fancier now...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, Mar 12th 2021

Razor: Kai style Shavette - Mfg 2018> great zamic shavette, holds blade good, easy razor to maneuver around the face.
Blade: Kai protouch guarded(8)- excellent blade to learn with and gives a great shave for experienced and newbies, very enjoyable less concentration and some room for operator error. Sharp & Smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Colonel conk Bayrum, very nice mild scent soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24 mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub & excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + ATG Pickups.
Post Shave: witch hazel + Ogallala bay rum & Sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no weepers + no irritation = :a17:Excellent shave with my Kai style shavette with a Kai Protouch guard blade.

SOTD, Fri, Mar 12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:

Ron R

SE SOTD, Friday, March 19th 2021

Razor: Kai Style shavette- Mfg 2018> excellent made Zamac razor, easy to load and remove blades, very enjoyable experience.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded (9) binned- excellent blade to protect yourself when using a AC Shavette, Sharp & smooth with good longevity.
Soap: Speick triple milled- excellent lather qualities + nice mild spicy scent that is great.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, good scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Shower + hand washed face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + Pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups ATG.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :thumbup: great shave with my Kai style shavette with a Kai protouch guarded blade.(spent, binned, tossed......)

SE SOTD, Fr, 19th 2021.jpg

Ron R

SOTD, Fri, Mar26th 2021

Razor: Kai Style Shavette- well built Zamac razor, still having a little fun with this Shavette, it will bite even with a Protouch.
Blade: Kai SS Protouch guarded(1)- Excellent blade, Sharp & smooth, good all around blade for a newbie & seasoned shaver with sensitive skin.
Soap: Cyril R Salters Indian Sandal wood cream- nice scent with excellent lather qualities. Good post shave skin feel.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm- Excellent cream lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips+ gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso Red Sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea of balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + a couple of tiny weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Kai style Shavette + a Kai Protouch blade.

SOTD, Fri Mar 26th 2021.jpg

featherclone.jpeg

Shavette : Feather Clone
Brush: Yaqi Two Band 24mm.
Soap: Cella (in 3017)
Blade: Feather Pro
Balsam: Varvatos

One pass WTG, touch up neck area ATG awesome result !! No nicks/cuts.

N.B. Captain Titan Mild Protouch Balde did not worked with me.

Ron R

N.B. Captain Titan Mild Protouch Balde did not worked with me.
Not sure why it would of not worked for you, I use them and it is a easy shave for this greenhorn using a Shavette. If you can use the raw blade that is great. I had no luck with a raw unguarded blade and went to the guarded type and it was clear sailing for myself with less nicks and weepers and shaving ATG, also was more enjoyable shave.

Not sure why it would of not worked for you, I use them and it is a easy shave for this greenhorn using a Shavette. If you can use the raw blade that is great. I had no luck with a raw unguarded blade and went to the guarded type and it was clear sailing for myself with less nicks and weepers and shaving ATG, also was more enjoyable shave.
I started my shavette journey with Ali Biyikli (Turkish Sahvette). The eficiency of Ali Biyikli (with snapped DE Blades) is much more compared to 50mm.AC Shavettes.
After having 25 shaves (I am keeping a Journal) with Turkish Shavette and a Univinlions Shavette with DE Blade as well, I bought a feather clone with 50mm. blade.
In my Turkish Shavette and Univinlions I use Astra SP and Perma Sharp blades.
Since I get use to Turkish Shavette sharpness, my initial perception about guarded type blade might be on that way. Of course I'll give a try in next coming days but now I am quite satisfied with Feather Pro's.

Top Bottom