Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday January 20, 2021
Razor: Focus Slim Al
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (3)
Brush: RazoRock Beehive
Soap: Proraso Green

IMG_0469[1].JPG

I have to agree with the quality of the shave from this razor. I also get the sometimes weird ergonomics, but that goes with the territory when you shave your head. Mostly I'm getting good at finding the holds and angles that will get where I need to get and still let me see where I'm going. I'm kinda thinking about a 3-way mirror for the Shave Cave. The only problem is that the Cave is only slightly wider between side walls as I am across the shoulders. Not much leeway for side mirrors!

I'm also still using a slant to get around the ears and to clean up in some spots, but my comfort level with the Focus is coming along. Mrs. Hippie came in to inspect the shave quality this morning and picked up the new razor. "Oh, that's pretty!" She thought the Parker SRX was kinda cool, too, but remarked that the beading made it look "like a soup spoon."

O.H.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Monday January 25, 2021
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (2)
Brush: RR Beehive

IMG_0470[1].JPG

Another day shaving naked (blade), green (razor) and covered in lather. :straight:

Mondays can be easy because I have three days' growth. Mondays can be hard because I have three days' growth. I feel like I'm making progress -- I'm way more comfortable with the razor -- and I'm starting to shave closer to things like ears. I'm still using a slant to clean up around the ears, line out the top of the beard, and pick up some of the spots where the Focus only shaves a strip about 1/4 inch wide. I could probably get those spots better by also going XTG on the back of my head, but I tend to do two-pass shaves. Once I get a blade in there it's amazing how fast I can clean them up, though.

Part of the problem is that I'm still working on going ATG with "authority." It'll come, I'm sure.

Different shave than a slant -- some areas that tend to always be a little stubbly are now smooth. Seems to last longer, even longer than the shave from an aggressive slant like the Wunderbar. Not uncommon to feel at 24 hours like I just shaved six hours earlier.

O.H.

Old Hippie

It's easy bein' green...:jump:

SOTD: Wednesday January 27, 2021

IMG_0470[1].JPG

I've been spending a bit of time with this razor. My slants are getting jealous and may bite the next time they get a serious run in. But every time I use this thing I get a little more comfortable with it.

My primary motivation is to get a good shave, not to build a collection, but of course I've gathered a few diverse razors along the way trying out DE, Slant, Gem SE, AC, lather catchers and now barber razors. With the exception of "plain" DE razors I have examples of the types I've tried that I'll hang on to because they do good work. I'll be getting up a posting for the BST in the near future, which will fund my next barber razor.

[rubs hands in acquisitive glee...]

Oh...the shave? CCS/DFS this morning, encouraging me to rub my head in appreciation.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri, Jan29th 2021

Razor: Kai style (Luffy) AC Shavette- Mfg 2018> well made zamic shavette, seems to handle well in hand and holds blade secure.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded(3) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth, great for learning or seasoned shavers. Less nicks & irritation!
Soap: Cyrill R Salter Sandal wood cream- great scent with great lather qualities. Some claim a true Sandal wood scent!
Brush: Yaqi artic sky 24mm knot- nice to look at & great lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips with some back bone with excellent scrub and great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch Hazel + Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood :001_wub: + a dollop of Nivea balm(-30C & 39 humidity indoors)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 small weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Kai style (Luffy) shavette with a Kai Protouch guarded blade.
SOTD, Jan 29th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Old Hippie

SOTD: Friday January 29, 2021
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (1)

Did OK this morning even though the razor and I had a mild mismatch. As Kenny Rogers said in that song I've always hated: "Know when to fold 'em..." After a WTG pass and a less-than-satisfying ATG pass I folded the razor and stepped in with a slant to establish a baseline. Once I had things under control again I returned to the Slim for the cleanups and to get that ONE spot on each side of my head that apparently no other style of razor will touch. So I'm basically happy but glad I can now wait for Monday morning while my skin decides whether to forgive me.

Just the way it goes sometimes. It's all part of the journey.

O.H.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Wednesday February 3, 2021
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (2)

IMG_0491[1].JPG

I had flames comin' from outta the side; you could feel the tension -- man whatta ride...

I hope at least some of you are now grooving on Commander Cody's "Hot Rod Lincoln" or at least the version by Asleep At The Wheel!

I have a suspicion I'll always want to use a slant to get close to my ears. I could just give in and perform DIY elective surgery and remove the ears, I guess. Mrs. Hippie sometimes accuses me of not using them, anyway.

Mostly this shave was about getting more comfortable with the shave just taking longer right now. I ended up with an irritation-free DFS and was interested to note later in the day that it had mellowed out to a BBS without having to chase the baby.

O.H.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Friday February 5, 2021

Same kit as Wednesday. Another nice shave. It feels like things are starting to click.

O.H.

Ron R

SOTD, Fri, Feb 12th, 2021

Razor: Kai style shavette- MFG 2018> well built zamic, seems to handle well, good razor to try AC razors IMO.
Blade: Kai Protouch- Excellent blade, sharp & smooth and with the guard a little more protection. Good blade to learn with.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum, great mild bayrum scent, great lather qualities, good post shave feel.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic, great lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub, good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 with pickups. WTG +2 ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Kai style shavette and Kai Protouch.

SOTD, Fri, Feb 12th 2021.jpg

Old Hippie

SOTD: Friday February 12, 2021
Razor: Salon Care ("Sally SS")
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Yardley of London Almond

IMG_0492[1].JPG

Three shaves; three blades. Monday was a Kai ProTouch MG -- took off a little WTG, just folded over the hair ATG. Wednesday was a Feather ProGuard -- OK WTG, took off a little ATG. This morning was a nice fresh Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink -- good WTG, in fact very good. ATG was a bit of a struggle but I seem to recognize the signs that now technique is starting to bloom.

I keep thinking how helpful it would be to have a "recording" that would put someone "inside" someone else's experience so they could see what it's supposed to feel like. That's just basic impatience, of course, and I know I'm figuring it out.

Not really the time to be playing with new razor formats, changing brushes, trying different soaps -- I was interested to see our humidity down to 8 per cent in the morning. I thought the lather was drying out faster than usual...

But a shave was had. After cleanup and fiddling it was a decent DFS. Despite the perils of evaporation I found the Yardley soap felt about twice as slick as Proraso. Part of that is not using an aluminum razor, but it's slick stuff.

O.H.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Wednesday February 17, 2021
Brush: Omega 1005 Boar
Soap: Yardley of London Almond

IMG_0493[1].JPG

Lovely shave today. Tried a few things that worked better. DFS, almost BBS, some but not much irritation.

O.H.

Ron R

SOTD, Fri, Feb 2021

Razor: Kai Style shavette- Mfg 2018> great zamik shavette to learn with and easy to manipulate over the face, guarded blade is nice for this Greenhorn. I do not shave with it every day but still can get a great shave.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded, excellent blade, Sharp & smoooth and highly recommended for any shaving level from beginner to seasoned shaver.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea- very nice scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm knot, excellent lather generator with heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 pickups. WTG + 2x ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + 1 blemmish weeper = :a17: Excellent shave with my Kai style shavette and Kai Proguard blade.

SOTD, Fri, Feb 19th 2021.jpg

Top Bottom