What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Thur, Jan 07th 2021

Razor: Kai style shavette folding razor, Mfg 2018? seems well built zamic shavette and works well with the Kai Protouch guarded.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded:001_wub:(8) excellent blade for learning and just gives a great shave for final results IMO.
Soap: Razorock Irish country side, mild scent with excellent lather qualities. Good soap for a this shavette.
Brush: Yaqi rainbow brown whiskers 26mm- excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, excellent scrub with backbone.
Preshave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3. WTG + ATG x 2.
Post shave: Nivea aftershave + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Kai style shavette with a Kai Protouch:001_wub:

SOTD, Thur, Jan 07th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday January 8, 2021
Razor: Parker SRX
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (4)
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green

IMG_0468[1].JPG

I'm starting to get concerned about the soap. I keep using it and it doesn't seem to be going down very fast. Maybe I'm witnessing the Miracle of the Bubbles and Brushes. After using boar brushes almost exclusively the last three months or so, going back to this one was interesting. Cranked up an amazing blob of cool slick lather, which was quite comforting once I started hacking away with naked steel.

Because I've been pretty gingerly with the SRX so far I decided to go one more time on the blade. WTG all over, then ATG on most parts (a little help from the S2), and cleanup. I have a couple of spots that I can grind away on with a nice fresh blade in a DE or SE razor, and still have stubble standing. Not so with the SRX. Right down to the skin, comfortably.

Probably pick up a couple nicks on the next shave. Gotta remember to stone the corners before I dive in. I've been anticipating the weekend so I can try daily shaves with it. My thought is if I shave daily it may be easier, or at least more practice. I win either way.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Same setup as yesterday. I realized the difference between barber razors and others is that we push barber razors and pull other T-shaped razors. In other words, the force driving the edge is behind the edge instead of out in front. I may be overthinking it. Same edge (Astra SP) in both razors, yet so far with the Parker I find it takes more passes over an area to get the same smoothness. Of course with a regular razor one also has a guard, so the line between enough and too much force is blurred.

All of which is to say I wasn't real happy with this morning's shave; but I also wasn't real unhappy with it. I thought I'd change up a little and ring in the Razorine to work ATG on the back of my head, which gave me a nice little slice for my trouble. Odd that I'm getting more injuries out of the Razorine than the Parker, but I'll take it.

I imagine, only what?...four "shaves" in?...that I've got a long ways to go with technique yet. I left a lot behind today, which ordinarily would have me reaching for my Wahl Five-Star Super Close to grind off the last of it. But I'm leaving it for tomorrow. I haven't traditionally spent much time on hydrating the hair before shaving with DE and SE razors, partially because my hardest area to get is also prone to blowing up in irritation if I put a warm towel on it or use warm lather.

A cold/cool wet towel, though, I'll try that tomorrow and see if it helps. Our humidity is so low right at the moment that even super-wet lather dries pretty fast. I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that I'm making progress. I have to keep at it in spite of not getting that beautiful glassy shave (except in a few areas) just yet.

O.H.

E8B10687-FB00-48DF-9D65-F05DED9ED048.jpeg

Pre:-
Razor: Schick Adjustable, Focus R22 Shavette
Blade: Schick 2nd use, Gillette PermaSharp Saloon 1st use
Brush: SOC Taj Boar
Cream: Musgo Real
Result: Cheeks DFS, Neck spotty, 1 nick 4 weepers

My first real outing with the Shavette, did 1 pass WTG and 1 pass ATG on my cheeks and 1 pass ATG on my neck. The Schick did the XTG and cleanup to save the day. I made the lather thinner as I’m used too to make it slicker and it worked pretty well. Changing hands and finding angles is super awkward but this was to be expected. Got only one nick on my cheek so I’m pretty happy.

DSCF2322.jpg

Razor: Kai Kasho Captain (Folding)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Omega Boar
Preshave: Proraso White Preshave cream
Prep: Cold water
Post shave: Cold Water /Alum Block + Proraso Green Balm + Proraso Red Lotion

Great shave overall, BBS almost everywhere. I've been perfecting my technique since I've got the Kai in mid december and today I think I really got it down.
I've started using shavettes in november but lather was actually my biggest problem with a straight.
Now I can dial any soap by doing face lathering and have minimal irritation with the Kai. It is an awesome razor and the Kai blades last forever.

The Cella soap is great too, very nice scent and comfortable shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Wed, Jan 13th, 2021

Razor: Kai style AC folding shavette- MFG 2018? Well made for a Zamic razor, easy to clean and manipulate with the right blade.
Blade: Kai Protouch guard (2)- excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity and forgiving with the guard. I do not feel threatened by inexperience.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum- mild nice scent with excellent lather qualities and good post shave. I enjoy this soap very much.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice with 26mm tuxedo knot- big beautiful lather creator with cloud like soft tips with good scrub and for painting lather.
Pre- shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum + Sandal wood :thumbsup: + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS, BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my Kai AC style shavette + Kai Protouch blade.
SOTD, Wed, Jan 13th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Thanks for the wiki link everyone.
I was racking my brain trying to figure it out before resorting to a search. Haha.
It's probably the only one I'm unfamiliar with.

EDIT:
just browsing through the list now. Whoa!

Old Hippie

SOTD: Wednesday January 13, 2021
Razor: Parker SRX
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (3)
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Synthetic

IMG_0468[1].JPG

I am actually seeing movement in the soap, which is good. Trying to use it up! Then I'll be back on my own soap which has tons of residual slickness. I'm always having to relearn where the line is with Proraso between "loose and slick" and "runny and sticky."

Seemingly I'm over Monday's plateau and on my way to the next one. :) While I did use the S2 for a little cleanup on the weird angles, did more than before with the Parker and had a better shave out of it. Even fairly comfortable with blind-shaving the back of my head. Most of what I do with the SRX is try to find an angle that will work.

End result today was a DFS. No blood, no irritation, and a couple of spots that no DE or SE razor has ever shaved smooth are now buttery. I'm likin' that!

O.H.

Old Hippie

SOTD: Monday January 18, 2021
Razor: Focus Slim Al
Blade: 1/2 Astra SP (2)
Brush: RazoRock Beehive

IMG_0469[1].JPG

I'm doing OK with the Parker SRX -- but this was a bit of an impulse purchase. The construction is different from the Parker. I like the blade corner guards, and the narrow head is useful. Those who know me know I don't particularly care for aluminum or Zamac razors. I prefer a little more mass and stainless feels smoother on my skin than alloy or aluminum. One observation with the SRX is that it's got enough mass to be a little awkward in some orientations. That plus a number of favourable reviews -- and the razor being dirt cheap compared to some I have purchased -- resolved me to try out the Focus.

Normally I'm not in favour of juggling too many variables when I'm trying to sort something out, but I gave in to it this time. Glad I did! I may have found the one aluminum razor that I actually like. But I didn't know that until afterward...

My first impression was not favourable. Cranked up a bowl of somewhat-wet Proraso and painted an area with lather. Grabbed the razor and...STICK...nice grippy wet aluminum just plastered itself to my skin. Well Howdy-do! Added a little more water to the bowl and beat it up good. Much better.

In the end it shaved me better than I was getting with the Parker, taking off more each stroke and also going well ATG on 3 days' growth. First-time reviews, particularly with shavettes, are usually either "greatest thing ever" or "that's gonna need stitches."

:straight:

This was a good first outing, and I'm looking forward to many more.

O.H.

Just a couple of uses so far but it's giving me something like what I wanted. Really enjoying it.

Hey! I just figured out that stand. I like it.

O.H.
Terrific razor. The guards at the heel & toe of the blade make for a very forgiving shave. I don't find it to be the most ergonomic, but I can certainly adapt to it. I'm thinking of picking up the R21.

Top Bottom